Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2019, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Me too (although the weather at the moment looks bad).

If the weather improves, I'd thought about doing a very long interval composite with a Samyang 14/2.8 fixed in portrait orientation to have a view of the horizon at the lower edge. I'd start the series maybe an hour before the start of the penumbral eclipse, take a shot every 3 minutes, and end the series an hour after the end of the penumbral eclipse. That would create about a 7-hour series with a 140 shots.

In theory, the moon would be string of 25 pixel disks with maybe 10-12 pixels of dark space between shots. The moon dots would be like a string of pearls that go from bright, to red, to bright across the span the frame. The tricky bit is the exposure -- I might just keep it simple (expose for the brightest stars and let the uneclipsed moon blow out) or muck around with bracketing which would mean collecting a lot of images.
Sounds really cool, good luck with the weather!

02-25-2019, 06:09 PM - 3 Likes   #167
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seems like this thread has been dormant for about a month. So here's a kick start.

We'll be spending the next three months in the St. Louis area helping out with a new grandson (most guys my age are celebrating grandchildren graduating college). So to keep things simple I am going to (try to) use only my 35 and 50 mm lenses. Add to that, I am going to focus on monochrome images. My objective is to put together a collection of black & white images to share with my family.

This will be an interesting project that will surely take me out of my comfort zone, but will also surely expand my photo experience.

Last edited by AggieDad; 03-02-2019 at 03:43 PM.
02-26-2019, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #168
Forum Member

With February having wind chills of -30 to -45 (almost the same in C or F degrees), there has not been any Snowy Owl photos happening.

Since I am a "Heinz 57" style of photographer I have a couple of other goals for 2019

Landscapes:
a) Practice Focus Stacking to get crisper landscape images
b) Mega-Pixel Panorama shots by combining numerous vertical images into a panorama with extreme detail

Portraits/Headshots:
a) Work at "upping my game" for Environmental Headshots. I create these at work once or twice a year and I need to get more consistent with my results.
03-17-2019, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #169
Forum Member

I'd a couple to chew on this year.

The local park floods rightly. I had a "visions into the upside down" kind of idea. A reference to stranger things by shooting the reflections in the puddles.

I also wanted an alphabet challenge. A is for apple etc and it's apples at the local market.

03-17-2019, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #170
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Looks like my goal this year will be getting deep into the park for landscape, wildlife and camping photos. After having a few down years after my hip replacement, things are starting to look up. I'm up to an average of 12,000 fitbit steps away, heading for 15,000 our canoe / portaging season, and am about to start weight training. Cnoeing is one of the few recommended physical activities after hip replacement. I'm sure portaging isn't but hey, you can't have everything.

I'm looking forward to getting out and doing things up until now I took for granted as activities.

Last edited by normhead; 03-24-2019 at 05:33 PM.
03-17-2019, 11:20 AM - 3 Likes   #171
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd really like to do more long-duration photography using the interval/multi-exposure composite mode on the K-1.

At the moment, I'm considering three types of subjects

1. Dinner parties: Set-up wide angle or UWA lens on a tall tripod at one end of the table and take maybe 30 minutes of interval composite during dinner (may one image every 20 to 60 seconds). If things go well, the room should be sharp and probably the table/table cloth, and centerpiece. But the diners, plates, glasses, serving dishes, etc. should show varying degrees of ghosting and duplication (depending on how long each item remained in any one place). (If I could, I'd love to suspend the camera directly overhead, looking straight down of the table but that seems like a bigger project with some risk that my K-1 might drop into someone's soup!)

2. Cross-walks: Set-up a tripod looking across a busy intersection to the curb on a crosswalk. Take each multi-exposure image just as the light turns red (no cars in the intersection and the maximum number of people waiting on the curb). The street, signs, buildings etc. should be sharp but the curbside should be a sea of ghosts. This probably needs to wait until summer -- people in light-colored clothes show up better in multiexposure images plus the harsher shadows of summer might provide more contrast.

3. Landscapes: Shoot an interval composite of a landscape over many hours, maybe sunrise-to-sunset. This one is more a speculative work in progress to understand/experiment with how the ghosts of light and shadow composite over a long duration. My initial sense is that it would be too easy to end up with a boring image that just looks like it was taken with the flat light of a cloudy day. So the challenge is to find objects that interact with the moving sun in ways far different than they interact with flat light. I have a friend who did some pinhole landscapes that showed interesting patterns of light in the long-duration interactions of sun and dried grass so perhaps there may be interesting images found in the trajectory of specular reflections off bushes with shiny leaves. Also, to the extent that plant leaves and flowers move with the sun, they might create interesting ghosts. We'll see!
03-24-2019, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #172
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd really like to do more long-duration photography using the interval/multi-exposure composite mode on the K-1.

At the moment, I'm considering three types of subjects

1. Dinner parties: Set-up wide angle or UWA lens on a tall tripod at one end of the table and take maybe 30 minutes of interval composite during dinner (may one image every 20 to 60 seconds). If things go well, the room should be sharp and probably the table/table cloth, and centerpiece. But the diners, plates, glasses, serving dishes, etc. should show varying degrees of ghosting and duplication (depending on how long each item remained in any one place). (If I could, I'd love to suspend the camera directly overhead, looking straight down of the table but that seems like a bigger project with some risk that my K-1 might drop into someone's soup!)

2. Cross-walks: Set-up a tripod looking across a busy intersection to the curb on a crosswalk. Take each multi-exposure image just as the light turns red (no cars in the intersection and the maximum number of people waiting on the curb). The street, signs, buildings etc. should be sharp but the curbside should be a sea of ghosts. This probably needs to wait until summer -- people in light-colored clothes show up better in multiexposure images plus the harsher shadows of summer might provide more contrast.

3. Landscapes: Shoot an interval composite of a landscape over many hours, maybe sunrise-to-sunset. This one is more a speculative work in progress to understand/experiment with how the ghosts of light and shadow composite over a long duration. My initial sense is that it would be too easy to end up with a boring image that just looks like it was taken with the flat light of a cloudy day. So the challenge is to find objects that interact with the moving sun in ways far different than they interact with flat light. I have a friend who did some pinhole landscapes that showed interesting patterns of light in the long-duration interactions of sun and dried grass so perhaps there may be interesting images found in the trajectory of specular reflections off bushes with shiny leaves. Also, to the extent that plant leaves and flowers move with the sun, they might create interesting ghosts. We'll see!
I know this idea works with multiple exposure, I learned it the hard way. Alternately, you could use a 8 - 10 stop ND filter and a several minute long exposure and get a similar effect.

For an above the table POV, you might be able to suspend a mirror over the table and shoot the reflection.

I'm hoping to do more street and informal portraits as spring progresses and the longer days allow me some time to shoot after work.
03-24-2019, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an odd set of circumstances. I have an extreme intolerance to most all fragrances including that of Essential Oils. (Olfactory Abnormality) (severe Hyperosmia) (sheesh, an inability to breath near fragrances) This makes nearly all buildings, stores, offices, people’s homes, �� bathrooms inaccessible to me unless I wear a mask to breathe. The mask still doesn’t keep me from having an exposure rash to the chemicals in the air fresheners, perfumes, and dryer sheets. Problem is wherever I want to go to practice photography there is also fragrances and lack of safe restroom access. Think nuclear chemical air freshener in all bathrooms. So what I did is set up my yard with Rupert’s bird and squirrel cheater sticks idea. Unfortunately I can only photograph the birds that I can manage to draw to my yard but I do have the most bird active yard in my part of town. �� This includes a feral chicken that cleans up after the birds. I can move perches around, the yard is like a set that I can change things out to make the scenery different. Any other ideas would be welcome. Still trying finding ways around this disability and practice photography too.

Attached Images

03-25-2019, 08:09 AM   #174
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
I have an odd set of circumstances. I have an extreme intolerance to most all fragrances including that of Essential Oils. (Olfactory Abnormality) (severe Hyperosmia) (sheesh, an inability to breath near fragrances) This makes nearly all buildings, stores, offices, people痴 homes, �� bathrooms inaccessible to me unless I wear a mask to breathe. The mask still doesn稚 keep me from having an exposure rash to the chemicals in the air fresheners, perfumes, and dryer sheets. Problem is wherever I want to go to practice photography there is also fragrances and lack of safe restroom access. Think nuclear chemical air freshener in all bathrooms. So what I did is set up my yard with Rupert痴 bird and squirrel cheater sticks idea. Unfortunately I can only photograph the birds that I can manage to draw to my yard but I do have the most bird active yard in my part of town. �� This includes a feral chicken that cleans up after the birds. I can move perches around, the yard is like a set that I can change things out to make the scenery different. Any other ideas would be welcome. Still trying finding ways around this disability and practice photography too.
My second wife was like that. The restrictions to her life (and mine) were pretty incredible. She loved camping because nothing in the bush bothered her. We moved once because of bus fumes and once because the neighbour's clothes drier fumes with scented fabric softener exhaust was too close to our house. Camping is a wonderful thing. At least it was for her. She wasn't allergic to any natural scents, in nature.

Move to Whitney, the township is 3000 square kilometres for 2000 people, 1.5 square kilometres per person. If we don't want to see anyone or encounter unnatural chemical smells we don't. I'm happier that way. Living with my ex showed me how much better even a person who doesn't have the allergies can feel in a scent free environment. Moving to Whitney is like heaven.

Back on topic, I recently have been going through my canoe trip images... it looks like we'll end up with between 1100 and 1200 images (that were taken over 10 years) for a digital slide show on my 55 inch 4K television. It's been enlightening. And it's amazing how good those 2800x1800 images from my old Optio W80 look blown up to 3840. You can tell the difference, but it doesn't make the images less enjoyable, countrary to the techie opinion often posted on the forum, where every MP counts.
03-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I recently have been going through my canoe trip images...
Question for you. For a photographer in a canoe, what's the average speed you might travel? I ask for future planning purposes. I can't tell from the people I'm asking anywhere from 2-3 miles per day, to 10-15 miles per day. Obviously, the answer must lie somewhere in between (or not?). Thanks.
03-25-2019, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #176
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Question for you. For a photographer in a canoe, what's the average speed you might travel? I ask for future planning purposes. I can't tell from the people I'm asking anywhere from 2-3 miles per day, to 10-15 miles per day. Obviously, the answer must lie somewhere in between (or not?). Thanks.
There can be no single answer because it depends on the water (still, upstream, or downstream), wind (upwind or downwind), paddlers' exertion (aerobic or leisurely), loading (light day trip or multiday camping) and other activities (portages, snack stops, photography, side hikes, etc.).
03-25-2019, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #177
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Paddling skills vary greatly. An inexperienced paddler using just his arms might do 2-3 miles a day straight line, but they actually do a lot more because they are zig zagging. They also haven't heard of the technique of rotation, putting your paddle in the water and holding it in place while rotating your core muscles, which greatly reduces fatigue. That being said, even with really lousy paddling technique (I didn't learn technique until I was 60) I've done 21 miles in a day, even in my late 50s.

These days, at 70 with two torn rotator cuffs, 7 miles a day is good day. But clearly, there are a lot of factors that go into this. So much so it would almost be irresponsible to hazard a guess. Of the 30 or so commercial trips tess and have taken out, very few couldn't do 5 miles a day. Many were capable of much more, and these were all rookies. A few, I ended up doing the last few portages, carrying all their gear for them, because they are worn out after a 4 mile paddle. Darn office workers.

Tess took out a couple professional athletes last year and it was a dream trip for her. Instead of the usual us carrying gear for the out of shape rookies, they caught on the first day and by the second day they came back and carried some of her stuff. I've had younger athletic types help my out with my share of the load many times.

Last edited by normhead; 03-25-2019 at 09:06 AM.
03-26-2019, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #178
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

This could be a fun project with a Theta. Placing it on or over the table should be fairly easy, too.

Last edited by savoche; 03-28-2019 at 07:38 AM.
04-14-2019, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #179
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

I need to think up a project, lately I've been fairly uninspired. I also know that I need to become more proficient in the use of post processing software.