Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2018, 06:38 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My long term project was a book on Algonquin Park.
It doesn't have to be a "magnum opus". The photobook I made recently is just 17 pages, home - printed on some nice paper that had been sitting around in my desk drawer for years (it would be cheaper going to a printer for larger volumes), and hand-bound using materials from a craft store (google "Japanese four-hole binding"). You have said before Norm that you sometimes sell images at summer markets - maybe something like this could be popular as well. You could do several books based on different themes.

02-20-2018, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
It doesn't have to be a "magnum opus". The photobook I made recently is just 17 pages, home - printed on some nice paper that had been sitting around in my desk drawer for years (it would be cheaper going to a printer for larger volumes), and hand-bound using materials from a craft store (google "Japanese four-hole binding"). You have said before Norm that you sometimes sell images at summer markets - maybe something like this could be popular as well. You could do several books based on different themes.
We have given photobooks as Christmas presents... not all are a "magnum opus".

As far as I am concerned they are the new "photo albums".
02-20-2018, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I'll be doing some work on my other long term photographic project today. I handle online sales of collectable classical vinyl records on behalf of a charity, and I've got another stack of them to get through today. So out comes the light tent and the living room becomes a mini studio for half the day. It's time consuming, but it's for a good cause.

On the technique side of this thread, photographing vinyl records can be surprisingly tricky. They need well diffused lighting from the sides only, and even with the light tent I still manage to end up with a reflection of myself in the vinyl all too often. It gives me a lot of respect for the skills that really good professional product photographers bring to their work.
One trick is to get a largish piece of black cardboard (it may need to be twice the size of the subject), cut a hole the size of the lens, and shoot through that.
02-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #34
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

On the subject of projects, every year our local newspaper has a contest, 12 pictures are chosen, one for each month of a calendar to be published for the next year. The pictures must be from the area. All year long I am constantly looking for new scenes, or ways to captures scenes and local events in a new way, or in a way that presents the community. I have left the house early on a weekday to try and capture a view that I drive by on my commute, taken the long way home, gone down a backroad, followed my local cycling club to learn their routes and get some action filled outdoor shots, hiked deep into the woods or up steep hills, walked downtown late at night to people watch, or early in the morning when the steeets are deserted, attended all sorts of events, all to try and present my town and win a place in the calendar, and I have on several occasions. Sure, I get no money, but Ido get to share my work, and the friendly competition with a few of my neighbors has added to a feeling of camaraderie. Even better the annual revealing of the winners also has a critique by the judge as to what makes a photograph a winner, I have learned so much from the points he has made over the years.

02-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Would a polarizef cut out the reflection?

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
One trick is to get a largish piece of black cardboard (it may need to be twice the size of the subject), cut a hole the size of the lens, and shoot through that.

Thanks to both of you for excellent tips. I haven't owned a polariser since the 1990s, so I'll try a piece of cardboard painted black first since I can do that one for free. Although lately I have been thinking about giving a polariser another try after falling out of love with them so long ago, so this could be my perfect excuse.
02-20-2018, 01:53 PM - 4 Likes   #36
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Great thread! I'm not too good at projects beyond joining the "Daily in ..." challenge from time to time. A great way to get out and shoot, btw.

However, I have been toying with the thought of visiting, and taking pictures of, all 101 metro stations in Oslo. Not sure how I would present the result - or if it will even be presentable in any meaningful way. But it would get me out and about and see parts of the city I very rarely visit (or never have). And as a project it will last me a good while! (And should I need more of a challenge there are some 4,000 bus/tram/train stops in the Greater Oslo area...)
02-20-2018, 02:06 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I have been toying with the thought of visiting, and taking pictures of, all 101 metro stations in Oslo. Not sure how I would present the result - or if it will even be presentable in any meaningful way. But it would get me out and about and see parts of the city I very rarely visit (or never have). And as a project it will last me a good while! (And should I need more of a challenge there are some 4,000 bus/tram/train stops in the Greater Oslo area...)
That sounds like a great project. I've thought about doing something similar - not with metro stations, but with castles and ruins, as we have a lot in my part of England. For me, the important thing with a project like this would be not just to document the different locations (although that's valid in itself), but to find and capture unique aspects in each one... Anyway, your possible project has re-ignited thoughts for my own. I'd like to wait for slightly warmer, dryer weather first though (yeah, I'm being a wimp, aren't I? )...
02-20-2018, 02:09 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

I mentioned shooting in my yard so that I can actually practice taking photographs regularly. Envisioning blooming plants that will emerge throughout the year and the backgrounds suggests shooting single blooms with long lenses from a distance to de-emphasize bland backdrops. I’ve plotted locations by plant by month. Next I’ll do some sun angle estimates in an app and I should be able to shoot something every morning or evening with a variety of lenses. Add in planned ‘outings’ and I can spend time on a project that isn’t gear.

PROJECT DERIVATIVE: Sample images with every K lens I own, shot on K-1 (as God intended they be shot) posted to the appropriate Sample Image thread.

02-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Just Another Day of Wildlife photography in "Downtown" Thunder Bay

I missed this one for my City Wild Life Project/ Oh well maybe "Uptown Tomorrow"

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbc.ca%2Fnews%2Fcanada%2Fthu...r8j8kDUwhTpLpb
02-20-2018, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great thread norm!

I've recently started working with film again, but I've taken it a step further. I haven't been entirely happy with B&W developers since Agfa went out of business in the 90s and stopped production of Rodinal. I know there are some re-makes out there, but nothing does what the original did. So I've been experimenting with making my own. My last batch came out amazingly close to what I remember all those years ago.

Aside from that, I'm giving more thought to a project I started many years ago, when the K10D was a new camera. A photobook / e-book / documentary of the Northwest Florida region. It's rich with history, and I've started putting what I'd like to get on paper.

My most recent results, Fomapan 400 with my home brew.

02-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Making your own developer? I've put beer in a developer after one of my profs admitted he did it from time to time. It was illegal for me at the time, I got into Ryerson Politech in Photo Arts at 17 years old, way to young to legally try beer. But I digress. Despite all the crazy stuff, I never once thought of making my own developer.
02-20-2018, 10:11 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Great thread norm!

I've recently started working with film again, but I've taken it a step further. I haven't been entirely happy with B&W developers since Agfa went out of business in the 90s and stopped production of Rodinal. I know there are some re-makes out there, but nothing does what the original did. So I've been experimenting with making my own. My last batch came out amazingly close to what I remember all those years ago.

Aside from that, I'm giving more thought to a project I started many years ago, when the K10D was a new camera. A photobook / e-book / documentary of the Northwest Florida region. It's rich with history, and I've started putting what I'd like to get on paper.

My most recent results, Fomapan 400 with my home brew.

Nice! I'd like to give that a try. Would you mind sharing the formula?
02-20-2018, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
Nice! I'd like to give that a try. Would you mind sharing the formula?
This is called Parodinal, use it like Rodinal and I've found I get results, which to my memory are exactly like the Rodinal which was produced until 1996:

Water 250 ml
Acetaminophen 30x500mg tablets
Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous) 50 g
Sodium Hydroxide (anhydrous) 20 g

Start with 200 ml of distilled water and add the 50 grams of Sodium Sulfite. Stir until most of it is dissolved. Add the 20 grams of Sodium Hydroxide (Lye), the temperature of the solution will increase, stir until completely dissolved. Crush the acetaminophen tablets and add to the mixture while it is still warm. Cool to room temperature and add enough water to bring to 250 ml. Cap and let it set for 72 hours before using.

I use a coffee filter to filter off the crystals which form and "fillers" which are added to the acetaminophen.

I developed a roll of Agfa APX 100 (original film which I purchased sometime in the 90s) a few minutes ago. The negatives came out great and I should have time to scan it in the next day or two.
02-21-2018, 12:29 AM   #44
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That sounds like a great project. I've thought about doing something similar - not with metro stations, but with castles and ruins, as we have a lot in my part of England. For me, the important thing with a project like this would be not just to document the different locations (although that's valid in itself), but to find and capture unique aspects in each one... Anyway, your possible project has re-ignited thoughts for my own.
Nice. Sounds somewhat similar to my might-one-day-become-a-project, but yours require a bit more research. With the metro stations I just have to figure out where to start and then follow the lines. Your castles will be more of a "travelling salesman" problem But yeah, the real challenge is to capture each location in a different/unusual/unique, yet recognisable, way.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'd like to wait for slightly warmer, dryer weather first though (yeah, I'm being a wimp, aren't I? )...
No comment

First thing I do if I go out to shoot this time of year is to put on long woolen underwear. Pure wool, nothing else will do
02-21-2018, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #45
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
since Agfa went out of business in the 90s
Reminds me, I encountered this blast from the past at a wildlife hide in Kgalagadi/Kalahari a couple of years ago.