Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 220 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2018, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a couple I developed in my home brew. The film is Agfa APX 100 from a 100' roll I purchased in the mid 90s. I developed at 1+50 and 16 minutes, it probably could have gone the full 17 minutes and given me better contrast, but I'm still experimenting. (17 minutes was the recommended time from Agfa for their original film. The new emulsion is something like 7 minutes)

02-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
This is called Parodinal, use it like Rodinal and I've found I get results, which to my memory are exactly like the Rodinal which was produced until 1996:

Water 250 ml
Acetaminophen 30x500mg tablets
Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous) 50 g
Sodium Hydroxide (anhydrous) 20 g

Start with 200 ml of distilled water and add the 50 grams of Sodium Sulfite. Stir until most of it is dissolved. Add the 20 grams of Sodium Hydroxide (Lye), the temperature of the solution will increase, stir until completely dissolved. Crush the acetaminophen tablets and add to the mixture while it is still warm. Cool to room temperature and add enough water to bring to 250 ml. Cap and let it set for 72 hours before using.

I use a coffee filter to filter off the crystals which form and "fillers" which are added to the acetaminophen.

I developed a roll of Agfa APX 100 (original film which I purchased sometime in the 90s) a few minutes ago. The negatives came out great and I should have time to scan it in the next day or two.
Thanks, looking forward to giving this a try.
02-21-2018, 11:22 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

124 more pictures to process and I will have 2013 completely finished!!!! Which means I get to start on 2014 tomorrow............................
02-21-2018, 01:17 PM - 3 Likes   #49
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I have started doing some light research into a possible "Metro Project 101". As mentioned there are 101 metro stations in the city, the first ones opened in 1898, the latest so far in 2016. The highest station is at 469m/1540ft above sea level, the lowest one is below sea level by 20m/65ft. Only 17 of the stops are actually below ground.

This will not be something quickly done with. Just visiting all 8 end stations will take 7 hours 57 minutes pure travel time (there and back including turnaround time). Of course, this will multiply quickly as it's completely unrealistic to cover, say, all 18 stations on western line 1 in one go. Let's say 24 hours pure travelling time, then.

If one assumes a half an hour stop at each station that will add 50.5 hours. Apart from the 12 stations on the circle line between home and work this sounds like mainly a weekend project. Let's subtract 10-12 hours for the cirle line stations and we're left with 60 hours of "work". Max 4 hours spent on this during a weekend (let's keep it enjoyable, ok?) means 15 weeks - except that some weekends are already full. Say 22 weeks, then.

And to make any project even remotely realistic one has to double all the estimates, right? I'd be very happy with getting through this in a year.

Then comes curating the images. And if one puts down that amount of work it might deserve a blog of sorts...

02-21-2018, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
124 more pictures to process and I will have 2013 completely finished!!!! Which means I get to start on 2014 tomorrow............................
I feel your pain. A few days ago I went through one of my three hard drives and culled the images, which were from 2012 to 2015. No editing, just calling out the bad shots and organizing into folders.
02-21-2018, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is value in culling, it allows one to see what makes a great picture versus a merely goood picuture, allows one to see common errors acrosss a body of work, and allows one to see improvemnts in technique over time. In this way one may learn to take more keepers in fewer shots, rather than shooting and chimping and hopng for one great shot out of 100 attempts
02-21-2018, 07:28 PM   #52

When you guys cull, how long do you usually wait? Not looking for a number per se, but like a time frame.

02-22-2018, 12:30 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote
When you guys cull, how long do you usually wait? Not looking for a number per se, but like a time frame.
I use to keep everything. Now I do a heavy culling at least monthly. 3 years worth was a lot of work!
02-22-2018, 03:16 AM - 3 Likes   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I cull ruthlessly. As soon as I've loaded the raw files onto my computer I extract the jpeg previews, then I immediately delete all the shots that I don't think are worth processing. Ideally that leaves me with only one or two shots that I want to process immediately, and maybe another one or two that I'll keep in case I have second thoughts about them in the future.

I'm perfectly happy to delete every single photo I've taken on a particular day, and often do. It's a relief to wipe out the evidence of my own incompetence.
02-22-2018, 07:11 AM - 2 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I have started doing some light research into a possible "Metro Project 101".
Don't overanalyze! Enjoy the journey, but don't overfocus on the result. You've inspired me to consider (note, not necessarily "do," but "consider") a project in my town. Kansas City is the "City of Fountains," and there is a list of over 100 fountains scattered around town begging to be photographed, and that's not including the non-fountainous sculptures that I would consider adding also. I suppose I'll have to get an ND filter if I decide to go forward, right?

I cull first, title and keyword second (although I often forget to title), edit third, upload last.
02-22-2018, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #56
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Don't overanalyze! Enjoy the journey, but don't overfocus on the result.
Sure, but I like knowing roughly what I'm looking at. I don't want to set off thinking it quickly done just to smash into the brick wall of reality But yeah, it's all about enjoying the journey and see ones own city.

You've inspired me to consider (note, not necessarily "do," but "consider") a project in my town. Kansas City is the "City of Fountains," and there is a list of over 100 fountains scattered around town begging to be photographed, and that's not including the non-fountainous sculptures that I would consider adding also.
Nice! When will you start?! It does sound like an interesting project. I have no idea how many fountains we have in this city, but I might have to find out...

I suppose I'll have to get an ND filter if I decide to go forward, right?
Definitely sounds like a good idea for fountains. Probably for any project, really, just to get some variation if nothing else.
02-22-2018, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I cull on the day..... I come in and spend up to an hour on the computer. I shoot most times in burst mode, because I usually shoot hand held and I give the camera a few chances to do the SR thing correctly. I cull as I review. IF I come in with 200-400 images, which happens often, there will be 5-10 left at the end of the session.
02-22-2018, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I Have spare time before I get to my computer, I will cull in camera. I will download everything at home, quickly review everything to get an idea of what I have. Depending on the subject or place "once in a lifetime" value, like travelling or a concert, or family and friends, I might keep a less than perfect shot for memories. Otherwise, I am pretty brutal about culling shots that I know I could do better, and know I will probably get the opportunity to revisit. I do make mental notes of how I failed, and do better the next time.
The projects you all are describing sound interesting. For the metro stops, I would plan out a year, because some of those stops are places you normally go to, but others are out of your way. For the fountains, it would probably be the same, especially if you only have weekends to devote to the shooting. For either one, it would also be an opportunity for a day out, you would probably get a few more ideas from the surroundngs and people at each location.
02-22-2018, 02:13 PM - 2 Likes   #59
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have another project that's pretty much on going. I'm hoping to get images of every bird I can. I have a flickr album, when I get a better image of a bird I already have I replace the old one with the better one.

Wild birds, 69 images and counting, two new ones added in the last week and a half.
Click here.

Last edited by normhead; 02-23-2018 at 06:27 AM.
02-22-2018, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Nice! When will you start?! It does sound like an interesting project.
Definitely not till the weather warms up a little. The city turns off the water during the winter for most of them, so there wouldn't be much to show anyways! First step will be to map them out, and try and plan trips where I can get a few at a time without traveling too much. At least traveling for your project is pretty much built in.