Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 220 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2018, 12:57 PM - 7 Likes   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A friend's 11 year old twin grand-daughters saw me taking pictures and thought my DSLR was oh-so cool and interesting - so I let them each have a turn using it under my watchful eye. Lesson 1 - always keep the strap on your neck. Lesson 2 - The camera is a tool, not a toy. Lesson 3 - Hold the button half-way down until the picture comes into focus and then snap. They had fun, so next time I visited I let them take some more pictures. Lesson 4 - Hold the camera still. Lesson 5 - Don't cut off people's heads. After a few visits, one still just shoots and chimps, but the other has started internalizing my instructions and taking decent shots. If she keeps this up, I will be looking for a used *ist body for her - I have a mid-length FA zoom to go on it - a cheap way to get her started on a hobby that can give her a lifetime of pleasure.

Here is one of her first good pictures.

05-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Awesome story. I wish I had an old body to send her but I cleaned out all my old bodies when I got my K-1.
05-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #108
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a *great* shot for an 11-year-old! Actually... scratch that. It's a great shot, period.

Yep, that girl needs a cheap and cheerful Pentax DSLR and an old (or kit) AF zoom lens... and your continued guidance, of course, which appears to be working wonders
05-23-2018, 07:26 PM - 2 Likes   #109
Pentaxian

Thanks for the generous comments, guys. I'm a bit overwhelmed. I came to this forum to start with because it seemed to be the one with the least trolling and infighting, and the more time I spend here the better I like it. This thread in particular takes me back to why I started in to photography in the beginning - just to take pictures that would make me and the people around me happy. That's all that ever really mattered. It seems like nothing has changed since I started taking pictures 50+ years ago, holding a Brownie box camera while my mother said "hold the camera still" and "don't cut people's heads off".

05-24-2018, 01:21 PM   #110
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Neuse River Sailor Quote
Thanks for the generous comments, guys. I'm a bit overwhelmed. I came to this forum to start with because it seemed to be the one with the least trolling and infighting, and the more time I spend here the better I like it. This thread in particular takes me back to why I started in to photography in the beginning - just to take pictures that would make me and the people around me happy. That's all that ever really mattered. It seems like nothing has changed since I started taking pictures 50+ years ago, holding a Brownie box camera while my mother said "hold the camera still" and "don't cut people's heads off".
We're glad you came

As for trolling and infighting, we have our moments too - but I'd like to think it's less than many other places... and we're working to make it even better in that respect. Should you ever come across it, either ignore the threads or let the moderating team know and we'll see what we can do

I think you'll find most folks here friendly, welcoming and willing to help if needed. I didn't get started properly in photography until nine or ten years ago, and when I came here in 2010, you could write what I knew on the back of a postage stamp. A good chunk of my learning has been due to, or at least prompted by, numerous members here. They've been generous with their knowledge, and more patient than I probably deserve
05-24-2018, 03:07 PM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a used K-30 here on PF, it is small and light enough, but has plenty of great features, I think that would be a better starter than an older camera, but she could grow with it for years.
05-25-2018, 03:18 PM - 3 Likes   #112
Pentaxian

I'm looking forward to posting more pictures to record the young lady's progress as a photographer. I already posted this one at the Fuji-X thread, but let me cross-post it here. It shows another lesson she learned - some of the best people pictures are when the subject is engaged with something other than the photographer. Learn to fade into the background. Telling people to "look at the camera and say cheese" is not the ticket to good portrait photography. I think she did well with this picture of her sister.

She doesn't even know what bokeh is yet, and look at all she is getting!

05-26-2018, 09:59 AM - 4 Likes   #113
Pentaxian

This is more of a project for me, which is to take pictures not too far from where I live, these are all within 2-3 blocks taken in the past year. It's a city, but I can find a broader range of subjects to keep me busy.

Last edited by aaacb; 05-26-2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: added one more
05-26-2018, 10:46 AM - 4 Likes   #114
Pentaxian

Original Poster
"From the best advice I ever heard" file. Shoot within a few blocks of home until you start getting compelling images. Then start going other places."
05-26-2018, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is good advice, I have been shooting locations in and around my town for years. Trying to capture what makes a place or an event special to you in such a way that people who look at your pictures grasp it is a great challenge to attain.
05-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #116
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
"From the best advice I ever heard" file. Shoot within a few blocks of home until you start getting compelling images. Then start going other places."
Yep, great advice. In fact, even now I still shoot plenty near my home... maybe not within a few blocks, but certainly within a square mile or two. Forcing yourself to find new ways of shooting the same subjects can really get the creative juices flowing, and even the most mundane subjects offer so many possibilities
05-26-2018, 05:28 PM   #117
Pentaxian

My series from around home, from which I sampled above, was reinforced I saw this video by a photographer who lived in a typical (according to him) British town. He was showing multiple pictures of the same few lone trees in all sorts of seasons and weather. I wish I could find his video again.... And there was the popular "broccoli tree" instagram series, but I only found out about that recently, from news that the tree had been destroyed.

Last edited by aaacb; 05-26-2018 at 05:34 PM.
06-11-2018, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #118
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

More an idea than a project, but with all the new buildings popping up in this city I sometimes feel I should document "how it was". E.g. the office building I'm sitting in is part of a row of buildings facing the fjord. That is, they were facing the fjord. Now they're staring into a wall of new buildings, and I never really got a good shot of them from the sea side before they got walled in. Now it's too late - unless I can find a really efficient demolishing team

I guess step one would have to be to check with the city planning office to keep track of what part of the city will get a work-over next. I doubt I will ever do such a thing, but thought I would throw out the idea.
06-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #119
Pentaxian

I'm with you, Savoche. The two ends of photography are documentation and art, and while art rewards talent, documentation is open to any earnest and conscientious technician. I consider both to be equally valuable to the society. Since I come from the relatively untalented end of the spectrum, my photography has been mostly documentation. While I honor and applaud the artists, I put myself in the realm of the documentors. What keeps me going is knowing that someday people will look at my photographs and marvel at how the world used to be.

Frame repairs to a 1994 Jeep Wrangler.
06-11-2018, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Neuse River Sailor, your post at the top of the page deserved two 'likes' - one for your story and one for the image.
Please pass on our comments to the youngster; there are lot of adult photographers who would not have done so well with the dog, or with her sister either.