Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2018, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
There's a specific picture I want to take. I have the exact picture in my head on how I want it to come out but I'm figuring out how to do it as a single shot, on top of figuring out when, where, battling the weather, whether film or digital would be better for the shot.

I have full intentions of taking this shot at some point, but I have a lot more to learn before I do.
I have dozens of images like that I've been carrying in my head for decades. But when I get the chance, I see them in front of me. They do come in handy from time to time. You see a scene and you think, that's almost it. It's like preparation. If you don't have those images in your head, you won't know them when you see them.

Last edited by normhead; 09-04-2018 at 06:30 AM.
09-13-2018, 08:55 AM - 3 Likes   #137
Forum Member

Currently, I am a freelance photographer. I do work for a local newspaper but locals seem to recognize me for all the concert work I do. I work for a few, great venues here in Metro Detroit. I am currently building my experience so that I can work for more of them. I enjoy the concert and festival life.

I have a degree in Computer Science but decided I wanted to go back and get an undergrad in Photography. So I will be starting school again this winter. I hate school but I'm good at it and I love learning.

As far as fun side projects: I have 3 currently. One will remain ongoing for a while:

Project: DETROIT. I am a native and want people to see the side of Detroit they don't get the see. I want to encapsulate the true spirit of a city that is constantly getting flack from outsiders who only trust what they hear on the media. I want to show the kind of stuff you can only see if you walk these streets.

Project: POSITIVE. The current state of American politics is leaving people more cynical and jaded than ever. I want to show that there are great people everywhere doing great things for other people.

Project: AUTUMN. This one is self explanatory. It's almost fall. It' s my favorite season and Michigan wilderness in the fall is amazing. I want to show the rich explosion of colors and really show off the warm tones. I don't do a lot of landscape work but it is one of the reasons I went Pentax. I'me excited because I live in the most populated area in the state. But several hours up north, there is an abundance of wildlife, state parks and all sorts of beautiful scenery. And even in an urban setting, there is a lot of magic to be captured.

That's about what I have on my plate now.
09-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 24thNomad Quote
Currently, I am a freelance photographer. I do work for a local newspaper but locals seem to recognize me for all the concert work I do. I work for a few, great venues here in Metro Detroit. I am currently building my experience so that I can work for more of them. I enjoy the concert and festival life.

I have a degree in Computer Science but decided I wanted to go back and get an undergrad in Photography. So I will be starting school again this winter. I hate school but I'm good at it and I love learning.

As far as fun side projects: I have 3 currently. One will remain ongoing for a while:

Project: DETROIT. I am a native and want people to see the side of Detroit they don't get the see. I want to encapsulate the true spirit of a city that is constantly getting flack from outsiders who only trust what they hear on the media. I want to show the kind of stuff you can only see if you walk these streets.

Project: POSITIVE. The current state of American politics is leaving people more cynical and jaded than ever. I want to show that there are great people everywhere doing great things for other people.

Project: AUTUMN. This one is self explanatory. It's almost fall. It' s my favorite season and Michigan wilderness in the fall is amazing. I want to show the rich explosion of colors and really show off the warm tones. I don't do a lot of landscape work but it is one of the reasons I went Pentax. I'me excited because I live in the most populated area in the state. But several hours up north, there is an abundance of wildlife, state parks and all sorts of beautiful scenery. And even in an urban setting, there is a lot of magic to be captured.

That's about what I have on my plate now.
I lived in Windsor and spent a lot of time in Detroit. There are just a pile of images I can still see, that I wish I'd taken. But that was 30 years ago.
09-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #139
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I lived in Windsor and spent a lot of time in Detroit. There are just a pile of images I can still see, that I wish I'd taken. But that was 30 years ago.
Detroit has changed so much now that it's very different to shoot there now. It's a different vibe than just a few years ago. Way more people walking about, way more businesses, parks and adventures in general. My Detroit project will be ongoing because of this. I am always finding new stuff every time I am down there and I grew up here. I know the city extremely well.

Also that's cool, I live like 20 minutes from Windsor and I'm there fairly often. I have yet to really take my camera around there but I know the area well.

09-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I grew up in Ann Arbor and haven't been into Detroit for a few years. One of my best friends from high school who is a writer lives in Ferndale now and he does the Daily Detroit podcast (check it out if you are into that kind of thing). I've been following the changes a little and hope to get back into the city on a future visit before too long. Ann Arbor is changing a lot too but in different ways than Detroit.
I used to see concerts at Pine Knob, Joe Louis Arena, The Palace, as well as some smaller venues in the 80's. What venues are you working with?
09-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #141
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I grew up in Ann Arbor and haven't been into Detroit for a few years. One of my best friends from high school who is a writer lives in Ferndale now and he does the Daily Detroit podcast (check it out if you are into that kind of thing). I've been following the changes a little and hope to get back into the city on a future visit before too long. Ann Arbor is changing a lot too but in different ways than Detroit.
I used to see concerts at Pine Knob, Joe Louis Arena, The Palace, as well as some smaller venues in the 80's. What venues are you working with?
I grew up until age 10 in Columbus, Ohio, but my dad was an academic and we knew many U. Michigan profs even though he worked in Windsor., so much so that I spend more time in Ann Arbor than Detroit. As an Ohio State fan, I spent many years sitting beside my Michigan loving buddies during "the game", way too often with me sad and them happy. "Why can't Ohio State beat Michigan?" was one pf the defining questions of my teen years. Of course, now it's the other way around. I can barely remember the last time Michigan beat Ohio State. We used to go to the U.M student centre for folk dancing Saturday nights.

I saw Bob Dylan the year he "went electric" at the Opera house in Detroit. I remember hockey fans going "mooo" on the way up the ramps at the Joe Louis Arena. I also attended work camps, helping out poor folk, painting their houses, fixing their plumbing etc. in Royal Oak township.

I was there a long time ago.
09-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

I was there a long time ago.
That was before my time! I was there from 75 to 89. Saw the Grateful Dead at Joe Louis and Depeche Mode at Pine Knob. Saw lots of music at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor, most memorably a couple of great INXS shows in the mid-80's. Hill has the best sound!

09-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #143
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That was before my time! I was there from 75 to 89. Saw the Grateful Dead at Joe Louis and Depeche Mode at Pine Knob. Saw lots of music at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor, most memorably a couple of great INXS shows in the mid-80's. Hill has the best sound!

Ya, I really don't expect anyone to be as old as me these days. My best friends from Columbus were all dead 10 years ago.
09-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #144
Forum Member

Who is your friend? My home base is Ferndale and I grew up here.

I do work for Otus Supply(Ferndale) and Strand Theatre (Pontiac). I have sights set on El Club and a few other venues where I have some connections.
09-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who is your friend? My home base is Ferndale and I grew up here.

I do work for Otus Supply(Ferndale) and Strand Theatre (Pontiac). I have sights set on El Club and a few other venues where I have some connections.
It's Sven. Do you know him?
09-13-2018, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #146
Forum Member

It's Sven. Do you know him?
Sven Gustafson. I know who he is and I think I randomly met him a while ago. But yeah if I saw him, I would recognize him. I think he also worked for the Oakland Press, which is the publication I do freelance work for.

Small world lol
09-13-2018, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sven Gustafson. I know who he is and I think I randomly met him a while ago. But yeah if I saw him, I would recognize him. I think he also worked for the Oakland Press, which is the publication I do freelance work for.

Small world lol
Ha! We go way back. We used to ride skateboards and go pool hopping and all kinds of other fun stuff way back when. Still a good friend. Small world indeed!
10-16-2018, 09:48 AM - 3 Likes   #148
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just a test.....

That didn't work.

Good thing I have this "dump site" photo bucket

https://business.facebook.com/Photography-is-My-Life-160856704683101/?__tn__...6HdDG4&fref=nf

Last edited by normhead; 10-16-2018 at 09:59 AM.
10-16-2018, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #149
Pentaxian

Original Poster
And one more.

12-27-2018, 07:44 AM - 2 Likes   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In 2011 and 2012 I walked sections of Yonge Street in Toronto near where I live and took overlapping photos of the street frontages. Nothing artistic, just recording what's there. Now, with the pace of development, the street looks very different. A lot of the buildings I photographed have gone, are under redevelopment or have been redeveloped, and many of the remaining businesses have changed hands. Recently I donated the shots to the Toronto Archives - they seem to appreciate them, and there were no other records like that in the Archives (just old B&W shots from long ago). I'll be doing another overlapping photoshoot in the next little while - hopefully before the snow flies. I know that in another five or ten years the street will be unrecognizable compared to what was there in 2011.

Last edited by jacamar; 12-28-2018 at 08:16 AM.