Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2018, 07:55 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
That's an interesting project. It's always nice when you do something that inspires you and your images end up somewhere besides your own wall space.

It's time for everyone's photographic New Years resolutions....projects for the next year.

12-27-2018, 08:03 AM   #152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks Norm.
Maybe a project for next year should be to try to make sure my posts don't end up at the bottom of the page so that a lot of folks miss them when it flips to the next one!
12-28-2018, 04:34 AM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's time for everyone's photographic New Years resolutions....projects for the next year.
Like who is doing 2019 365....

After viewing “Welcome to Marwen” a photo project needs to happen.
Just look at Insta accounts like the Swim Reaper or wornout_trooper.

My photography was pretty ‘meh’ in 2018. And the main observation I would make is I wasn’t shooting daily.

I am considering a 365 just to force daily activity.
12-28-2018, 06:15 AM   #154
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Like who is doing 2019 365....

After viewing “Welcome to Marwen” a photo project needs to happen.
Just look at Insta accounts like the Swim Reaper or wornout_trooper.

My photography was pretty ‘meh’ in 2018. And the main observation I would make is I wasn’t shooting daily.

I am considering a 365 just to force daily activity.
I'd like that, but, it's been so overcast this month I've only been out shooting maybe 4 or 5 times. I'd have to make a studio in the basement or something. Flowers, figurines coffee mugs, maybe my dogs. That kind of stick with it is almost impossible for me. But it would be great if I could pull it off.

Last edited by normhead; 12-28-2018 at 08:33 AM.
12-28-2018, 07:45 AM   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m in the same boat. An exercise in discipline rather than photography...
12-30-2018, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #156
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
An exercise in discipline rather than photography...
That's the value of the Single In and Daily In groups, there was an informal commitment to shoot every day. I fell behind a bit, or certain days might offer know time or subjects, while other days was a visual feast (yielding several safety shots), but I was fairly consistent over each month, and there were times it caused me some great inspiration.. Ultimately, one can only set a goal for oneself, and a time limit. Sometimes constraints provide pressure, but also make a daunting task manageable, as ;long as one agrees not to avoid the challenge at all.. "I am stuck in the house because winter sucks, I only have a camera, some knick-knacks, the flashlight from the junk drawer, and the game starts in 30 minutes, what could I achieve within those limits?"

One of my projects is to clean out an area to use as a studio, we have enough room in the house, once I get rid of my clutter and just get down to doing it. I can at least practice lighting techniques and some other things in preparation for warmer weather.

The other project is organizing all those accessories, lights, lenses, filters, cable releases, etc, in order to use them, evaluate them, maybe even discard them. For the remainder, I'll make or buy a good storage space for them, the idea being to have a 'go-bag" to use ffor the day, or for a trip, one that I fill from the storage. Right now everything is in bags, or drawers, or closets. I don't use it all because I can't even find it, or remember that I own it.

Last project is to take fewer pictures and more slowly, and really get down to learning the necessary processing and a workflow, at least lens correction, curves, the simple stuff that takes a good SOOC image but makes it better. Maybe then 'll put more shots up for ctritiques, knowing that I've already addressed the obvious technical shortcomings.
12-30-2018, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #157
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's an interesting project. It's always nice when you do something that inspires you and your images end up somewhere besides your own wall space.

Well it has been 11 months since you made this thread. I will photograph all 55 Historic Houses in the St. Louis Historic House Assn. This project has meaning because I’ve been a Board member for ten years and was recently elected Vice President for a three year term, following terms as Secretary and Treasurer (and which implies a following term as President).

I recently acquired a K28/3.5 Shift Lens for this project, and I plan to use film cameras and lenses + the most modern digital gear. I imagine I’ll learn how to take photographs doing this. I should post images here.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-30-2018 at 12:56 PM.
01-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #158
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well it has been 11 months since you made this thread. I will photograph all 55 Historic Houses in the St. Louis Historic House Assn. This project has meaning because I’ve been a Board member for ten years and was recently elected Vice President for a three year term, following terms as Secretary and Treasurer (and which implies a following term as President).

I recently acquired a K28/3.5 Shift Lens for this project, and I plan to use film cameras and lenses + the most modern digital gear. I imagine I’ll learn how to take photographs doing this. I should post images here.
We may as well make it a working thread. That sounds like a good idea.
01-07-2019, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #159

Photos: Gallery
2019 Photographically:
No 365 projects for me - life is waaay to busy right now. Perhaps a 52 project though?!!

One thing I would like to accomplish is to capture more images of Snowy Owls that visit an area about 1 hour from my home. I have a few images captured but it is time to up my game in that particular niche. Challenging subject as they are hard to spot - many sit out in fields and blend in with the snow drifts, not too plentiful, and very wary of anything approaching them. Luck, patience, & persistence hopefully will pay off!
01-07-2019, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We may as well make it a working thread. That sounds like a good idea.
Posting doesn’t need to happen here. I don’t want to hijeck your thread. I’ll start one come spring light.
01-14-2019, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A short idea for a project would be for me to take a picture a day with my newly acquired K-1. Capturing the same subject or scene with the same lens, but trying out different settings or features (pixelshift, etc) each day would force me to RTFM and become familiar with this camera. At he end of the month, I might even have an interesting bunch of photos with enough differences to demonstrate the strength and weaknesses of each.
01-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #162

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
force me to RTFM and become familiar with this camera

Love it ... something we should ALL do! lol ... but "ain't nobody got time for that!"
01-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won't be doing a 365 just because I already shoot a lot and I'm inspired a lot but I hate to force it if I'm not inspired (or getting paid).

In the near future I'm thinking about what to do for the upcoming lunar eclipse and hoping the weather cooperates. No longer term photo plans going on right now.
01-16-2019, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #164

2018: got bit by the wildlife/birding bug and that has dominated most of my hobbyist photography.

2019, is less of a project and more of a commitment to get back into carrying a camera at all times. I love how having a camera forces you to be more aware of your surroundings and notice opportunities that often times are overlooked. Sadly,I have gone MONTHS without capturing a non-wilidlife image. I'd like that to change in the new year.

Below are some images captured with my Ricoh GRII.

01-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #165
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
In the near future I'm thinking about what to do for the upcoming lunar eclipse and hoping the weather cooperates.
Me too (although the weather at the moment looks bad).

If the weather improves, I'd thought about doing a very long interval composite with a Samyang 14/2.8 fixed in portrait orientation to have a view of the horizon at the lower edge. I'd start the series maybe an hour before the start of the penumbral eclipse, take a shot every 3 minutes, and end the series an hour after the end of the penumbral eclipse. That would create about a 7-hour series with a 140 shots.

In theory, the moon would be string of 25 pixel disks with maybe 10-12 pixels of dark space between shots. The moon dots would be like a string of pearls that go from bright, to red, to bright across the span the frame. The tricky bit is the exposure -- I might just keep it simple (expose for the brightest stars and let the uneclipsed moon blow out) or muck around with bracketing which would mean collecting a lot of images.