Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
D*mn Security

My wife and I are going to a hockey game, and we have seats that are about six rows off the ice. I thought this would be an excellent opportunity to take my K10D and Sigma 70-300 for a spin. I called the arena to make sure that there wouldn't be any "issues," and told them this was strictly amateur, hobby photography. I was informed that while P&S cameras were fine, cameras with interchangeable lenses generally were not. Then the guy asked me how big my lens was. His suggestion was to bring the camera and they would tell me at the gate if I could bring it in. If I couldn't, they would let me check it there (ya right), or take it back to my car (ya right again).

Anyone else had problems like this?

02-22-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Had the same issue when I went to a Bruins game in Boston. I called and emailed and told it was not normal for them to allow anthing more the P&S. I decided to bring my *istds and bag with a few lenses, including the Sigma 70-200 2.8. I managed to get it all in the Tamerac Velocity 7 (maybe off on the model it is at home) bag I carry. Anyway, I get there and as I go in the have the bag check by security. I walk up open the bag they ask one question. " is that a video camera", my answer "nope just a digital camera". They peek I walk in to game problem. Now my seats are not great up on the second level. So I use the Sigma from seats all first period and second. I decide that at the start of the third period I am going to walk down to some nice seats in lower level that were opened the entire game. I go down take a bunch of shots until litterally 3 minutes left in the game there is a fight I stand up to take a shot or two and a Security guy comes over and says please put that away. I say sure no problems for three reasons, one I had plenty of decents shots already, two I am in the wrong seats and three best not to push my luck as I am sure after a better inspection at the gate they probably would have not let it in anyway. Not sure how things will be for you in Chicago, put I would try. I am not saying sneak it in, I knew walking in two things, if they said no I was not parked far and would have brought it back to the car and two it is not worth trying to pull a fast one and get in trouble.
02-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you saw my recent cricket photos posted you'd see I used a Sigma 70-200/2.8 with a 2x TC attached. The rules were no longer than a 200mm lens, but I figured I'd just tell them at the gate that it's a smaller lens, they probably wouldn't know any different! The guy glanced in the bag on my way in and I passed through without a hitch. I think it's always a risk, but how much of a risk will probably vary from venue to venue, guard to guard.
02-22-2007, 06:23 PM   #4

NHL seems a whole lot more on the ball at (D)SLR enforcement than other leagues based on first hand Canuck experience and what I've heard from others 'round the league. If it is a Canadian team playing a Canadian team security generally is not as tight, but since 911 American teams generally draw a larger frisking crew. Seems the security of the local fans is far more at risk with the likes of Columbus in town rather than the dreaded Leafs or Habs.

My winter coat will take my DS in one pocket and a lens and another in my fanny pack. I have walked in this way and shot with an 80-320, 16-45 or 28-200 from the lower bowl about 12 rows up behind the net a couple times. I have done this for the World Junior Championships sitting, row 2 behind the net, and I have done it from numerous locations around the rink for WHL games.

My K10D doesn't quite fit in the same jacket pocket so, so far I've only used my DS. I wouldn't push my luck with NHL games, or count any picture taken as a bonus, but other leagues even in the same venue can be fun.

02-23-2007, 01:34 AM   #5

Since I have no experience with that kind of "security", I'm genuinely interested what exactly is considered a security risk with DSLR-s or cams with interchangeable lenses? That you can hide something inside camera body? No, can't be, Canon IXUS size bomb would be enough to wreac havoc. Could it be that you could mask a gun as camera (as seen in spy-movies)? Could it be that you can take photos of security measures with your DSLR which you couldn't take with P&S? Or is DSLR just another heavy object you can use to bash your adversaries into oblivion, should the need arise?

I actually can imagine that they can ban "pro" cams on concerts and celebrated sport events to avoid alternative pics popping up in independent media and ruining the crop for certified and contracted photographers/media? Like they ban even cellcams on premieres. But I seriosly don't see the link with security, seem it's just like an excuse to ban everything "big, black and strange" objects.

Btw, this is sincere question, I'm genuinely interested, not trying to be ironic here. This has puzzled me for some time now.
02-23-2007, 02:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

With the Pentax owner's willingness to tinker with lenses, aabram, maybe people are worried that long glass owners will recreate the Pentax camera created by the CIA. Check out the camera Dario Bonazzo has mentioned, about half way down this page. Now that was an interesting spotmatic.

Screw Mount Oddities

Brings a whole new meaning to working for the Magnum image agency.
02-23-2007, 06:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Arjay I like your answer but seriously it is not a security issue as they are worried about the lens being used as a weapon. it is simply they do not want people getting better pictures that then "pro's". I am sure licensing for those pictures being sold or used for magazines or publications make them some money. But that is just my thoughts. I am sure there is some better explination or maybe not. Just plain and simple they do not want people taking great pictures they can't use.

02-23-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I gotta tell you, when he asked how large the lens was, the thought crossed my mind that they thought I might get drunk and beat someone with it.

Anyway, as much as I'd like to take the camera, it isn't worth the trouble, so I guess I'm leaving it at home. However, it is nice to know that I'm not the only one who has run into this issue, and I'm be more mindful of the potential problem in the future.
02-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Arjay I like your answer but seriously it is not a security issue as they are worried about the lens being used as a weapon. it is simply they do not want people getting better pictures that then "pro's". I am sure licensing for those pictures being sold or used for magazines or publications make them some money. But that is just my thoughts. I am sure there is some better explination or maybe not. Just plain and simple they do not want people taking great pictures they can't use.
It's all about the $. They make or have the potential to make a lot of $ off of the licensing rights. They used to be quite clear on that years ago but over time I guess it has just worked its way off of the priority list to explain policy. The security being tight at the gate just means that they will likely pick out the people bringing in the gear. I would guess too that there is also a minor concern with people using their old K1000 like a ball and chain after 3 or 4 too many over priced swill they call beer, but as the price of tickets tends to bring in more of a 'corporate' crowd around my area, I dont see as many fights in the stands. Seems to me the SLR policy more less came into being in the early /70's, maybe even earlier, but that's when I remember it being talked about.
02-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sent a friend to the Memphis grizzlies NBA game last year. They allow slrs but the lens can't be more than 3" long! Unfortunately he had the Pentax 70-300 so the camera went back to the car. The 50-200 will go next time.
Sent same friend to the Cardinals final game of the world series last season. Took the K100D and 50-200 this time. No problem. Many people had bigger lenses in the stands. Next baseball game he will take the 70-300. Its hard to take the right lens to the right event. I would be tempted to sneak it in. Done that a fair amount in the past with film cameras.
thanks
barondla
02-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

As far as the cricket was concerned I think it was just a commercial thing, and I'm sure the Security guards checking on entry wouldn't even know that that rule was a NZ Cricket rule, the stadium itself doesn't have a camera restricting rule.
02-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Wow, thats crazy. Yea people have gotten really anal about photography in general and especially bigger cameras like slrs. The whole notion of photography as an art and hobby is lost. Is it fear of paparazzi? security issues? omg I got your photo and its gonna be all over the internet?

Like a month or two ago, some transit authorities pulled up beside me while I was waiting on the bus station plateform and like asked me who I was working for and stuff. I told them it was just a hobby and I was just experimenting with the lighting at night. After a bit they drove off. Then this guy beside me told me that if he was caught doing the same thing in his country, he would have been arrested and his camera confiscated.

Then I didn't know what to think anymore. Half, I was annoyed at the way the canadian public is becoming more fearful of late. The other half imagining this fellow commuter's situation back in his country and maybe I shouldn't take things for granted.

Last edited by FotoPete; 02-24-2007 at 07:21 PM.
02-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So we go to the game, and I'm not checked at the door, and neither is anyone else, even people with bags (this is AHL). Our seats are 3 rows from the glass, just next to the bench. I look over and down a couple rows and I see a guy on the glass with a Canon body (I think it was either a 20D or a 30D) with some big honkin' Sigma lens shooting away (and he was definitely not press). So I guess next time I'm taking my camera.

BTW, it was a good game, but we lost...