Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2018, 06:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Time lapse trial

Not sure if this is the best location for this question, but we'll give it a try. I'm teaching myself how to do time lapse work. I did one last night that has a lot of flickering to it. Camera was all set to manual, in camera processing turned off, and I processed the RAW files. It seems minor exposure changes between frames when I look at the original photos. (K-1 camera) I'm suspecting it's litterally because the sun behind me is peeking in and out of the clouds, but I see lots of other time lapses that have clouds in them, but doesn't have this happening. Suggestions? Each frame was shot at F9, 1/80 and ISO 100

02-19-2018, 07:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For anyone interested, I found this, and I think it's my problem.

Preventing Time-Lapse Flicker Caused By Mechanical Inconsistencies - DIY Photography
02-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow, that seems more complex than I would have thought. I have not done any time lapse, and would find the flickering overwhelming to try to fix in post, one frame at a time.
That seems like good info to keep in mind.

One tip in general that I didn't see mentioned is to keep the viewfinder covered. It is normally covered by your face/head, but light coming into the unobstructed viewfinder can affect auto-exposure. (especially if the sun is behind you).
02-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Wow, that seems more complex than I would have thought. I have not done any time lapse, and would find the flickering overwhelming to try to fix in post, one frame at a time.
That seems like good info to keep in mind.

One tip in general that I didn't see mentioned is to keep the viewfinder covered. It is normally covered by your face/head, but light coming into the unobstructed viewfinder can affect auto-exposure. (especially if the sun is behind you).
The viewfinder is a great tip, especially if they are longer exposures. Thanks.

04-22-2018, 08:16 AM   #5

Use LRTimelapse to deflicker sequences and get smooth day2night transitions. Time spent for searching and trying other solutions is worth more than this application.