Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-03-2018, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Freelensing Technique

Has anyone experimented with the technique known as "Freelensing" or taking photos with the lens unmouted from the camera body and being held in front of the camera.
Even though I haven't experimented with the technique yet, it seems from what I've seen and read so far, the backwards compatibility of the Pentax body makes them compatible & adaptable to this type of photo technique. I recently leaned and saw a demonstration of this technique as a form of macro photography with some pretty amazing results done by member of a photo group to which I belong, with the K3II using an old M50-2.0 lens.
It's also my understanding with a little ingenuity the same technique can be used to create what is referred to as a "Poor Man's Tilt Shift" lens

03-03-2018, 07:30 AM   #2

I recently read about this too, it does seem interesting. I could have saved some money and not bought an adapter ring for my old M42 screw mount lens.

I wonder if you are doing macro shots outside how much dust you could get on your sensor. Looking forward to trying this anyway.

B&H has a brief intro here How-to: Freelensing | B&H Explora

After a couple of quick attempts, I notice one issue is not to let too much light leak in and also at ISO 800 there was a lot of noise. And naturally the F stop is not recorded.

Last edited by MikeStnly; 03-03-2018 at 07:48 AM.
07-24-2018, 06:44 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I've fiddled with it briefly. Here's one taken with K-01 and M 50 1.7:

07-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I know this is a bit off the intent of this string, however after my original post I stumbled on to a Lensbaby Composer I Sweet 35 and have since added a Ketnor Digital Super Wide Lens adapter to the mix. When it comes to Tilt shifting the Lensbaby Composer I & Composer II along with any of the available interchangeable optics are the, pardon the expression "Cat's Meow".

Adding the lens adapter definitely brings it up another notch. Unfortunately adding the adapter severely restricts the Tilt Shift capacity of the lens and I can see freelensing the Sweet 35 Optic, possibly minus the Composer mount with its very narrow sweet spot at maximum aperture and the adapter attached could produce some very interesting results

The first is a shot using Tilt shift

The second shot is done with the adapter attached

07-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
That's really cool. I especially like that second flower shot!
07-29-2018, 05:41 PM   #6
Forum Member

I was able to get a decent shot from being at a higher vantage point. This was with a K-5 and a pentax-M 50mm (size was reduced)
Attached Images

08-03-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suppose it is useful for special out of focus effects but....

08-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks, this is new to me, I'll have to do some reading up on it.