Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Imaging Repair???

I sent my camera into Pentax Imaging repair in CO. and I'm sure not a happy shooter. Months ago, I was hit by a dirty water blaster in the hands of an ornery 7 year old. The circuit board needed replaced and it had a new rattle inside that occurred from a reckless Bellman dropping it. It came back to me last week, after $220.00 and 20 some odd days later, with a filthy sensor and the rattle still there. I have never had a dirty sensor that showed visible black dirt on my shots and I was just sick inside. They had it picked up by UPS today for a re-work and hopefully comes home in better shape this time. Has anyone ever dealt with PI?

09-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The rattle you hear is likely normal for Pentax with SR. The sensor is installed on a platen and held there by bearings to allow it to "float". There are electro-magnets mounted around it to "power" move it when SR is active and it senses shake, but it is otherwise a "free floating" element in the camera. As for dust on the sensor, I guess somebody didn't have a good night sleep before working on it.
09-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #3

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Pentax Imaging. My sole experience was positive. I had a lens that had been to the local authorized repair facility (Camera Repair Japan in Duluth, GA) and they were unable to get the lens corrected in 2, count'em 2, attempts but Pentax in CO got the lens working just fine in the first try. And the lens was back to me in less time than CRJ had the lens. So I guess this is a big time YMMV.

QuoteOriginally posted by KatyAZ Quote
I sent my camera into Pentax Imaging repair in CO. and I'm sure not a happy shooter. Months ago, I was hit by a dirty water blaster in the hands of an ornery 7 year old. The circuit board needed replaced and it had a new rattle inside that occurred from a reckless Bellman dropping it. It came back to me last week, after $220.00 and 20 some odd days later, with a filthy sensor and the rattle still there. I have never had a dirty sensor that showed visible black dirt on my shots and I was just sick inside. They had it picked up by UPS today for a re-work and hopefully comes home in better shape this time. Has anyone ever dealt with PI?
09-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I am sorry your camera was not serviced to your satisfaction. I would have been mad to get the camera back with a dirty sensor too! My experience was much better. My camera came back completely cleaned and look brand new. It took 3 weeks, but came back clean as a whistle and fixed up.

09-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
Igilligan

Like Laree... My experiece was positive. I just sent my camera in for a pixel mapping at the 1 year warrantee mark. It came back spotless... The 10 dead pixels are gone and they cleaned it up to look brand new. Even got some dust out of the VF....

All that an it was back in my hands in under three weeks. But pixel mapping only takes a few minutes... Still I was happy

Sorry to hear about your sensor... It does not sound like normal. Not sure what could have happened. Ps my K100 has a clunky rattle sound that I alway took to be the SR...
09-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I didn't have the best luck with them either...

Just yesterday I got back the 2nd of my two K200D's. It had a FF problem that really manifested itself at anything wider than F2.8 so I sent it in for a repair/adjustment. Using it with the FA50 at even F2 was futile. I sent it in on August 15th so the turnaround was a little over 2 weeks....pretty good I thought. Now I realize how they were able to turn it around like that.....I don't think they did anything to it! The packing slip explained what "repairs" were done.

*We have repaired your product(s) under the terms of our new product or service warranty. All functions have been returned to factory specifications.

*Replacement or adjustment of electronic autofocus motor and encoder, CCD focus device. Computer adjust to factory settings.

I have to call BS on them at this point because the camera has the EXACT same problem it had when I sent it to them. I did a series of focus tests with it and it still has the FF issue. My other K200D has no such problem with the FA50 or any other lens (I tested them side by side under the same conditions.

I called Pentax earlier today and they told me to send it back (again) and that they would be more than happy to take another look at it. If it doesn't get fixed this time, I'm going to ask for a replacement. I mean, the camera is still in production and they still can't get it right?