Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are being served...

Hey folks,
I have a somewhat silly question to ask although it is a serious issue for me. Through out the month I might host several dinners at my place. Crowds range from 20-40 depending on what group it might be. As a host, I do most of the setup and depending on the function, I might cook, or it might be potluck. In either case, I'm busy with getting folks settled in, food laid out, and making sure that all is in order. What I'm not doing, is holding my K1 around my neck and taking images.
For each and everyone of these parties, I get the camera, grip, flash and flash bracket all setup only to find myself up to my neck in everything but taking photos.

Having said all that, here are my thoughts. The K1 with all that hardware are just way too clunky for these house parties. Folks know not to touch the camera if they see it laying out, but to safely put it away I'd have to scramble to the other side of the house. Once off my neck, it won't make it back unless I get a break, which probably won't happen until after the party.

So, I've considered:
1. Minimize my K1's footprint by removing all the brackets, grips, and only using a remote trigger and hope that the flashes I set up are sufficiently setup that the lighting is OK.
2. Using the K1 without the flash but at a high ISO and just LR edit them later and hope for the best.
3. Or Pick up a smaller mirrorless Pentax camera, one that would easily fit around my neck as I serve food and mingle. One with enough high ISO that I won't have to worry about the lighting or simply use the flash triggers if I want better lighting.

Things to note:
1. These are MY social groups so I kind have to host them.
2. I have a few Photog buddies, but I'd rather not infringe on those folks although a free meal might entice them.
3. If it came down to Food or Photos, these folks would rather be served than photographed. The event photos are for me.

So do I look at something like the Pentax Q or K-01, or just realize I'm only human and can't do it all?

I just hosted Mom's 73rd birthday party last night, and I got off the phone with the folks. They on the other hand would have liked photos, but understand that I was busy...

Thoughts and criticism are welcomed.
Regards,
Rodney

03-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say get a KP. A much better option than the Q or K01 and a smaller footprint than the K-1.

I wouldn’t hesitate to remove all the hardware and grip from the K-1 either. The last wedding I did without the grip on the K-1 partly because I was also carrying a K3 with grip. Battery life was no concern and the high ISO capabilities of the K-1 are nothing short of amazing.
03-11-2018, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well imho it's really hard(aka impossible)to do both hosting and photographing unless you're using a phone camera. maybe pick out a friend or two that are enthusiast photographers and hand them your k-1. Another possibly more fun way to do things is to setup(or have someone setup) a photo booth that is user-operated and supply a basket of silly props for folks to have fun with.
03-11-2018, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Position your camera on a tripod in a strategic place,set to "interval shoot" and see what occurs?(i.e. fire and forget)

03-11-2018, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Sounds to me like the perfect scenario for a simple compact like the GR, or dare I say, a smart device, (your cellphone camera).
It doesn't sound as if you are required to take photos at these parties, thus there is no requirement on the quality of the output.
Do you plan to print 20"x30" for your own enjoyment or will they just be going to social media and slide show presentations on
your computer? The K-1 really seems like extreme overkill, beyond being a bit of a burden, for what you're trying to do.
In this scenario, where the majority of your attention is on things other than taking photographs, you want a camera that is as
simple and one touch as possible.
03-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^ GR or a used MX-1 (very nice camera, btw, with a power zoom lens). Either will slip in your slacks pocket nicely.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-11-2018 at 05:10 PM.
03-11-2018, 05:34 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
Well imho it's really hard(aka impossible)to do both hosting and photographing unless you're using a phone camera.
What they said ^ ^ ^

The act of photographing is mildly antisocial, particularly if done with a sophisticated camera. My rules at present are:
  • Carry my phone for snapshots
  • Leave the camera at home if where I am going is a group event
  • Leave the camera in the closet if I am the host
  • Have someone else be responsible for a group photo
  • Never mix photography with a date...unless one's date is the intended subject and they are OK with that in advance

Steve

03-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My initial reaction is a KP with a limited like the 31, or a GR would probably work really well too. Throw that limited on the K-1 and turn up the ISO and take all the gadgets off and just shoot it is also an option. Another route would be something like a Sony a6000. I picked up one of those to always have a camera with me, and it works well for the type of scenario you describe while having a lot of potential, if you are so inclined. And while you don't say anything about it, one of the things the Sony would give you is pretty darn good video on the fly, which may or may not be of interest to you or your audience given the situation you describe.

Last edited by clickclick; 03-11-2018 at 06:12 PM.
03-11-2018, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #9
mee
Veteran Member

Are photographing these get-togethers really necessary? I mean how much really needs to be documented to the point you need a photographer roaming about snapping photos of everyone throughout the night?

I'd feel rather uncomfortable if I was attending a friends dinner and he whipped out a camera and started taking photos of everyone throughout the night.. as if I was on some kind of display. It isn't a birthday, wedding, or other special occasion.. do you really need to photograph these in detail? Can a couple smartphone shots be enough?
03-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Position your camera on a tripod in a strategic place,set to "interval shoot" and see what occurs?(i.e. fire and forget)
Yes. It's too tough to be an active photographer while being an active host.

Set aside a short period during your event where you can pause serving food to concentrate on a limited number of photos. Maybe get a group shot and some quick portraits of the guest of honor, then put the camera back to automatic on a tripod or shelf.
03-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it is at your place you are already hosting it, do you have any friends who like to do some of the work you are doing, let them do that and free you up for photos?

As fot taking pictures at these gatherings, I completely understand why you would do that. Was always the guy with a camera, and decades on, my friends are glad of the pictures I took.
03-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I suggest using only the K-1 and a single lens, no flash etc. as other have said. Though if the real issue is that you're too busy hosting to actually take photos, then a Q or K-01 won't make it any easier. Are there more relaxed parts of the evening, vis a vis hosting, where you don't have to do much and you can take photos while everyone is sitting around talking? These kinds of photos are my specialty, and I find that they turn out much better when I am completely relaxed and engaged in the group.
03-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #13
Pentaxian

What's the purpose of the photos? Who is the audience for the photos? Are they for yourself or your guests?

I might want to flip it around and have the guests be the photographers and make the photography be part of the event. Get a bunch of Fuji Instax cameras, have guests take snaps and post on a bulletin board hung up on a strategic wall (one where guests frequent, like the drinks table), pass cameras around. Or set up a photobooth in a corner.
03-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #14
Forum Member

I have given up trying to use my K3 for family events (unless a formal posed pic is required) - its just too much bother and quite often the pics aren't great because you don't have compose properly in the viewfinder.

I bought myself a small pocket point & shoot (Olympus ZX-1) pre-owned and mainly leave it on auto. I can pass it round, or people can grab it if they feel like it. If the grandkids drop it or dunk it, it won't be the end of the world.

Its also pocket-size for those days when i don't "plan" to take photos.
03-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks folks. No, the gatherings aren't formal although they are gatherings for real clubs that I manage. So some documentation would be nice. Sometimes ( a good number of times) it might be someone's birthday. Yesterday was mom's 73rd birthday. While I lament the fact that I didn't get a photo op, the parents had a great time and a few of us did catch images with their phones.

Many of you are correct, in that busy is busy, and it wouldn't make a difference what hardware I have, small or big.

I think the problem is the host(me) running around like chicken with its head chopped off.