Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out this video, Chris has done good analysis of JPEGs from different cameras. His conclusion, Pentax JPEGs are not that accurate, but RAW is where Pentax shines.

Usually Photoshop corrects colors for me and I find it pleasing. When more serious editing needed on special occasion photos I process from RAW files. RAW files eats HDDs for breakfast!!

I find K3 produces more accurate colors with JPEGs, I find not needing to use Photoshop much for correction.

Edit: Yeah I went back and checked the pics OP posted, what happened to Yellow, Green and Blue?

Video is not relevant to this discussion, but is interesting to watch.

Last edited by suraswami; 03-17-2018 at 05:42 AM.
03-16-2018, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
Check out this video, Chris has done good analysis of JPEGs from different cameras. His conclusion, Pentax JPEGs are not that accurate, but RAW is where Pentax shines.
I didn't watch the video, but generally Pentax JPEGs are not nearly as inaccurate as the filter example we are discussing! I don't think that the JPEG discussion in the video is applicable in this case...
03-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Every camera produces different jpegs. Most cameras give you a number of options so you can choose how your jpegs look (bright, natural, vibrant etc).

The OP's problem was not caused by normal differences in jpeg output. A Pentax camera may produce a jpeg who's yellow or green will not be as pleasing as another brand, but it will still be yellow or green !

The OP's problem is either a fault in the cameras jpeg processing engine; a fault in his camera settings (colour ; WB; or both); or incorrect settings in his editing program.

OP, can you take a jpeg from the camera without changing any settings, don't run it through your Olympus software but post it here with exif intact.
03-17-2018, 12:24 AM   #19

Is your display color-calibrated, is your OS set up with proper color profile of your display (created by a colorimeter) and finally, is the app you're viewing these images properly color-managed (that is, does it know the color space of the picture and the color profile of the hardware it displays to). These things are essential to get right before you start worrying about color accuracy.

For example displaying an sRGB picture on a good non-managed wide gamut screen will cause colors to be oversaturated, unnatural and biased towards red. If you have an adobergb picture on a standard screen, it will be washed out.

03-17-2018, 03:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
RAW should not be more accurate per se.
In fact, a RAW file without anything applied should look kinda gray: it needs at least a tone curve, since the data from the sensor is linear, while human perception is logarithmic.

The "RAW" you are seeing is, in general, either one of two things:
1. the integrated, low-quality jpeg preview (which should look identical to an in-camera jpeg)
2. The RAW with some default presets applied by the software you are viewing/developing it with.
Sometimes you'll see one thing, and then when the image is done loading and the SW has done its thing, it'll switch to a different one (in case it is set to show 1. until 2. is ready)

There's no magical advantage in shooting RAW, only that you have control over every parameter that would be otherwise "baked in" as you told the camera to do.
Try shooting in sunlight with a tungsten WB both in RAW and jpeg, and then tell me if you can repair the jpegs from the cyan mess they've become. When you open the RAW, on the other hand, you'll probably see the same mess (because the SW will probably read WB data from the EXIF and apply it to the image), but you can change it to your heart's content.

On the flip side, you have to know what you're doing, otherwise you'll just wast the potential of the camera thinking "oh well RAW is magical, I'll recover this in post". Not the way the thing works.
03-17-2018, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I didn't watch the video, but generally Pentax JPEGs are not nearly as inaccurate as the filter example we are discussing! I don't think that the JPEG discussion in the video is applicable in this case...
Yeah I went back and checked the pics OP posted, what happened to Yellow, Green and Blue?
03-17-2018, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah I went back and checked the pics OP posted, what happened to Yellow, Green and Blue?
I think the colour fairy stole them !