Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2008, 04:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Requesting your comments...

I just posted a reply to a comment by tpeace to one of my pictures in the User Photo Gallery.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks a million for your comments...

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited by carpediem007; 09-04-2008 at 05:01 AM.
09-04-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you posted them in the personal section, and told us the camera brand, I have no problem with it. Probably shouldn't be in DSLR forum (unless they are comparision shots) or in contests. If we deconstruct this to the max should there be any lenses besides Pentax allowed on this sight? I hope it doesn't go that far!
The point & shoot forum got special permission from Adam to allow other brands in that contest. Unfortunately not many people have Pentax P&S cameras.

Liked the pictures by the way.
thanks
barondla

View POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #10 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #11. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now.
09-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Keeping in mind this is the Pentax Forums, I personally don't have any problems with the sharing of photos taken with cameras of any other brand.

In the end, a good photo is a good photo is a good photo.
09-04-2008, 06:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Again, no issue with the camera you used and I like the shot as well. I think you must have been really annoyed, not had enough sleep or needed a coffee as your response seemed a smidge over the top to a pretty innocent question.

09-04-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
I think you must have been really annoyed, not had enough sleep or needed a coffee as your response seemed a smidge over the top to a pretty innocent question.

You might be right there... but, I really like this place because there isn't to much of "only Pentax makes you a great photographer" stuff floating around and I really hated seeing that comment next to my picture...

Jeanloup Sieff remarked once (very loosely translated from French): "Photography was great fun & joy... and then the pixelpeepers showed up..."

Michael
09-04-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by carpediem007 Quote

"only Pentax makes you a great photographer"
I hope so, I keep trying but it hasn't happened yet.

Like your work by the way.
09-04-2008, 07:00 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Not worth ruining your day over in my opinion. I welcome the opportunity to view photographs taken by anyone and by any camera. If I am able to learn something from the photo and the information surrounding the camera settings, etc., so much the better.

09-04-2008, 07:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't mind pics from other brands either, I have been participating in the P&S forum contests with other brand cameras.

So, maybe the comment was an over reaction, but I think your response was very much an over reaction as well.

Some folks are very proud to be all Pentax with all the crap we put up with from Canon and Nikon purists.

If Pentax made a SLR-like P&S, I would buy one!
09-04-2008, 07:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have no problem as you said a good photo is a good photo. But I agree with Pat in that I think that was a bit of an overreaction to tpeace ...
09-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
Some folks are very proud to be all Pentax with all the crap we put up with from Canon and Nikon purists.
Well, are they collectors or photographers?

Sorry, I just find this so sad. Seems like it's most often not the picture that counts, but the camera it was shot with...

"Wow, your food's fantastic; which brand of pots do you use?"

Cheers,
Michael

PS: The food "thing" isn't mine. It's a "bon mot" by Helmut Newton after being asked (by the chef of a restaurant he was having dinner at) which camera brand he uses to be able to take such great pictures...

Me thinks, he's absolutely right.

Last edited by carpediem007; 09-04-2008 at 08:12 AM.
09-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

How bizare is this. I just posted that in the jokes thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/35812-joke-thread-4.html
09-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
In German one says:

"Grosse Geister denken gleich..." :-)

Meening something like: Great minds have the same line of thought...

Michael

PS: I was told this story by Guido Karp, a friend of Helmut Newton. (Guido uses C***n equipment, but, never the less, somehow, inexplicably, he managed to take a few rather nice pictures. I'm sure most of us have a few of his pics in our home. Like the Elton John "Candle in the wind" CD cover and many more...).

Last edited by carpediem007; 09-04-2008 at 08:30 AM.
09-04-2008, 08:31 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, are they collectors or photographers?

Sorry, I just find this so sad. Seems like it's most often not the picture that counts, but the camera it was shot with...

Cheers,
Michael

PS: The food "thing" isn't mine. It's a "bon mot" by Helmut Newton after being asked (by the chef of a restaurant he was having dinner at) which camera brand he uses to be able to take such great pictures...

Me thinks, he's absolutely right.
Well, sad maybe, but it happens.

I used to race cars, sometimes folks didn't care if they won, as long as they ran in a Chevy or Ford or whatever. I ran Pontiacs, the superior underdog, like Pentax!

But I agree with you, I'm not a purist in the photgraphy world. It really doesn't matter to me, your pictures are great pictures and they should stand on that alone, not what camera brand you used to create them.
09-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I post photos from Pentax Nikon and Canon cameras.

Bet ya can't tell.:-0

Dave
09-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have generally followed the rule for posting of either Pentax body or Pentax lens. When I did the pictures for the Jupiter 9 review on this site, I did mount the J-9 on my Ricoh Singlex TLS to show the relative size of the lens and how it looks mounted. When I posted the pic I have to admit having a sly smile... Russian lens, off-brand body, no Pentax in sight...

Steve