Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Wedding prints?!?

Hello again everyone.

Any suggestions where i should get wedding photos printed. I'm shooting a wedding this weekend and need some recommendations. Is Kodak good enough for the job for is there other "secret underground" places i don't know about where everyone is going?

thanks guys, justin

09-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Adorama is pretty good.....actually very good.

AdoramaPix
09-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

my experience with Adorama has mostly good. Mostly it's just there's a couple prints I got with white edges as if the cutting blade on their machine wasn't cutting at the right spot. It was easy enough to trim myself though, and their prices are great.

Mpix.com Ive only ever had one photo printed badly, (colors came out VERY strange) and I've placed at least 20 orders with them in the past couple years. Now they allow multiple paper types on one order as well, which is a big plus.
09-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seymop Quote
Hello again everyone.

Any suggestions where i should get wedding photos printed. I'm shooting a wedding this weekend and need some recommendations. Is Kodak good enough for the job for is there other "secret underground" places i don't know about where everyone is going?

thanks guys, justin
If it were me, I would go to the easiest one possible for a quick set of proofs, at the lowest cost to you. after the proofs, it is a different matter, but you have more time for that. (I assume)

09-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Have you taken a look at winkflash.com, they have 6 cent prints when on sale, 8 is normal, great quality, and fast shipping
09-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I always go locally, while at my place that's either Costco or London Drug. Both places offer me personal service, so I can work right with the lab tech.

If theres somehow a mistake made we can print off a replacement instantly this way
09-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've had a bad experience with Kodak online printing service - I had a free prints coupon so I decided to use it and order some personal 4x6 prints. Paper quality was horrible (I could have done better buying my own paper and printing on my Canon MP160) and colors were blown out even though my whole setup is calibrated regularly using a colorimeter and color profiles. They use their Perfect Touch technology which pretty much alters the photo the way they think it should be - call it for what it is - Perfect Mangle.

I agree with Lowell, with one caveat - if those proofs will be shown to the "customer" I would do a few test prints to make sure they look good enough to show. I have found that most big box stores like Target, WalMarts, Costo, BJs, etc are likely to have either poorly run machines or poor operators, so your print quality will be hit or miss. They're fine for birthday party pics, but not if you're trying to impress a bride and groom about your skill.

There are exceptions though, which is why you need to try them out ahead of time. The WalMart 10 miles away from my home actually has a beautiful Fuji Frontier (700 series i think) and use Fuji papers that produces some absolutely gorgeous prints with vibrant colors, perfect for nature shots or last minute short orders. As little laker pointed out, any problems and a good lab tech can help you out right away, so scope them out too - find the ones that really know their stuff!

Oh, stay away from the Kodak dye sub printers and glossy shots - in my opinion glossy prints cheapen the shot anyway

For my pro printing, I do 99% of it at WHCC, but would just as easily consider Mpix or Meridian Pro. I order prints and they're at my door in 2-3 days, usually at less of a cost than going to a local outfit, even WalMart.

09-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I know a guy.

QuoteOriginally posted by seymop Quote
Hello again everyone.

thanks guys, justin
When I put services to work for my business I make it a point to use locally owned small business. I want to support my community and the economy therein.

So I use a local professional printmaker that does a fantastic job and takes very good care of me. I can give you his email address if you want. He travels the country for shoots, uses FTP upload just like Kodak or Walmart (but his prints blow theirs away), will deliver using your shipping company of choice ( I even use local courier with him)
He is awesome.

If you want to contact him, email me at Mitchel109@yahoo.com with a subject line that says something like wedding prints, pentaxforums convo...something like that.

Mitch.
P.S. He has tons of different kinds of papers and printing techniques. I asked about one type of paper onetime, and he said he would have to track it down but he would get it....great service from him.
09-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

For the proofs if you have Photoshop just let it create contact sheets for you then just find a printshop with a XEROX DocuColor and have them run the contact sheets as a proof for the customer. After they choose the ones they want find a LOCAL lab to process the prints. At the same time have them run the contact sheets so that it's not a toner/dry ink print. The good labs will have package pricing set up just for wedding photogs. At least mine does.