Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2018, 07:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

Portrait Photography

Hello there,

I have been a hobbyist for about 4 years now and after the encouragement of a lot of friends, decided to try this professionally. I landed a contract with a local media agency that connects freelancers to local newspapers and it's been a lot of fun. I continue to meet people and network and I keep noticing something.A lot of people need portraits. This wasn't part of my original focus but I accepted that freelancing meant I'd like to have to focus on people as subjects (I prefer landscape and architecture) more than I am used to. So I have an immediate need to improve my portrait skills. I was wondering if anyone had any resources I could check out. Books, videos, whatever. I just want to up my portrait game since it's such a common request. I appreciate any sincere and serious replies. Thank you for your time!

04-03-2018, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's an absolute ton or great resources on youtube.
04-03-2018, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #3

I found this quite useful when I was starting off taking portraits.
6 simple lighting setups for shooting portraits at home (plus free cheat sheet) | TechRadar
04-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewN Quote
I found this quite useful when I was starting off taking portraits.
6 simple lighting setups for shooting portraits at home (plus free cheat sheet) | TechRadar
I'm gonna check that out; thanks for that link! Seems like that's just about what I'm looking for.

04-03-2018, 11:31 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Practice is going to be your most valuable resource.
04-03-2018, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been honing my portrait photography lately as well. YouTube has some great channels. Although how the presenters vary in styles and may not suit your taste (for example, grating voices or cheesy music). I'm gotten a lot out of Joe Edelman's channel.
06-28-2018, 03:36 PM   #7

B&H, Adorama both have great channels on YouTube with content related to portraiture. There are also some low cost video courses on Portraiture to be found on www.udemy.com as well. The cost ranges from $15-$45 or so. Pick up a copy of Peter Hurley's "The Headshot" - although specifically about headshot photography, he gets into the psychology of directing people in front of the camera which you will find useful. ... Best of Luck!

06-28-2018, 07:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

A lot of focus in tutorials is on lighting (gear and arrangements), a lot less on getting something more from your model than a blank stare, unless that is intentional. Not saying technique should be skipped or ignored... but my experience is that lighting technique is the easier part, especially with amateurs, both the photographer and the model, as in my case.

About gear, manual flash works fine for me and it's quite easy to tune the exposure just with trial and error with digital preview shots. I'm saying this because external flash meters are very expensive.