Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just trying to narrow down the possibilities. This one is a stumper.

09-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by acbees Quote
Mike Cash,
I'm obviously guilty of not supplying enough info or explaining exactly what I was dealing with in the picture. Sorry about that. I was using a Tamron SP 35-80mm adaptall 2 f/2.8-3.8 CF macro. Aperture was in the f/11 range. The bag the camera was setting on was high enough that I was able to see through the viewfinder and focus while it was sitting on the bag for each of the 3 shots.
Thanks for your questions.
Arvin
Sounds like you should have got excellent results. Great camera, great lens, manual focus, high enough shutter speed, and small enough aperture to insure adequate DOF. Must be the dreaded camera gremlins. Either that or mirror/shutter vibration. I see the point of your original post.

Steve
09-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sounds like you should have got excellent results. Great camera, great lens, manual focus, high enough shutter speed, and small enough aperture to insure adequate DOF. Must be the dreaded camera gremlins. Either that or mirror/shutter vibration. I see the point of your original post.

Steve
Steve,
It is a relief that you understand. I was beginning to wonder about my sanity. If I would have been more thorough with my original post I would have saved all of you a lot of questions. Again, my apologies.
Arvin
09-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #19
Damn Brit

Hi again, that there does look weird. I'd still bet on the support not being firm enough and having just enough give to produce this problem.
By the way, I'm also guilty of using the Sunpak tripod. It's quite low when not extended so I use it when I want to get low down.

09-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks, Gary. A better tripod and always having it with the camera to use are next on my list.
Arvin
09-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Hi Acbees, is it possible to beg, borrow or steal a big "man sized" tripod from somewhere.

This will enable you to do a couple of test shots, so that you can eliminate this from your hit list of potentials.
09-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by acbees Quote
I focused the first shot, then lifted the camera to look at the LCD then replaced it and focused again for each shot thereafter. Three identically out of focused shots in a row?
Arvin

That looks like you've had zoom creep. See the white emblem has a bigger halo. Also shows up on your ring/finger and left side of shoe.

Maybe after focusing, it is moving as you take you're finger off the shutter button.

I would hazard the guess that your cheapo tripod is still better than a soft bag except in windy conditions or if a train is going past!

Cheers, Nige

09-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How sturdy is the Adaptall mount? Is the bag supporting the lens AND the body, possibly causing enough flex between the lens and body to get a "tilt-shift" effect, where only a part of the frame is staying in focus?