Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2018, 08:06 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This thread reminds me I want to try this out some time!

06-22-2018, 12:31 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It can be an effective technique, but it’s important to have as little subject motion as possible between the frames. I tried a stack of 6 last week, of some old buoys (not old boys!) laying in some foliage, but it was pretty windy and there were some large-ish flat leaves waving around. This served to confuse Photoshop’s image alignment and gave a picture that was less sharp than one of the component frames, with added artefacts!
06-22-2018, 02:37 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm quite fortunate that what I enjoy doing is still life. The useful thing for me was being able to shoot a single pixelshift image and process to a TIFF with a single command then carry on as if editing a single RAW. I don't like faffing around with the multiple shots, alignment etc manually. Rawtherapee/hugin/Imagemagick allows me to do that. I don't doubt that Pentax could have implemented this in camera, though I'm not sure why they chose not to. Similarly a 9/16 shot pixelshift image could also prove useful (again, this isn't going to help those shooting dynamic scenes).
06-23-2018, 05:59 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've made an additional "test" - not too rigorous because I got the idea once I was at home, and I had took the jpeg picture a few steps back, so framing is not exact.
All the photos taken with my smartphone (16 MP camera).

SOOC JPEG
Notice the purple fringing and the aggressive NR algorithms.
Vasca_SOOC_JPEG_crop by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr

RAW, processed to taste, no NR
Not much noise after all, but what bothers me the most is those vertical lines made up of couples of dots, which are probably on-sensor CDAF pixels.
Much more detail though.
Vasca_RAW_crop by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr

A stack of four RAW, processed then merged with the "Intermediate" method.
The noise is mostly gone, and the CDAF pixels are too
Only issue with that is its massive inconvenience... 4 19.4 MB RAWs add up to 65.6 MB
Vasca_RAW_stack_crop by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr

06-25-2018, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I've made an additional "test" - not too rigorous because I got the idea once I was at home, and I had took the jpeg picture a few steps back, so framing is not exact.
All the photos taken with my smartphone (16 MP camera).

SOOC JPEG
Notice the purple fringing and the aggressive NR algorithms.
Vasca_SOOC_JPEG_crop by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr

RAW, processed to taste, no NR
Not much noise after all, but what bothers me the most is those vertical lines made up of couples of dots, which are probably on-sensor CDAF pixels.
Much more detail though.
Vasca_RAW_crop by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr

A stack of four RAW, processed then merged with the "Intermediate" method.
The noise is mostly gone, and the CDAF pixels are too
Only issue with that is its massive inconvenience... 4 19.4 MB RAWs add up to 65.6 MB
Vasca_RAW_stack_crop by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr
I actually prefer the noise (RAW) middle version, the stack came at a price imo, it looks too soft and blurry and the less noise has killed the sharpness and details imo.

I think there could be quite a big difference between stacking with a competent dslr over a smartphone, even though that smartphone might shoot RAW etc.
06-25-2018, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I actually prefer the noise (RAW) middle version, the stack came at a price imo, it looks too soft and blurry and the less noise has killed the sharpness and details imo.

I think there could be quite a big difference between stacking with a competent dslr over a smartphone, even though that smartphone might shoot RAW etc.
No, I think in this case too much movement between the shot is what spoiled the detail, simply because I didn't shoot with stcking in mind, it was an afterthought.
When I stack jpegs from the phone, the whole burst takes 2s tops, there's currently no way of doing a RAW burst sadly.

...but I will not lose faith, and will keep trying
06-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
No, I think in this case too much movement between the shot is what spoiled the detail, simply because I didn't shoot with stcking in mind, it was an afterthought.
When I stack jpegs from the phone, the whole burst takes 2s tops, there's currently no way of doing a RAW burst sadly.

...but I will not lose faith, and will keep trying
Even with my handheld shots with my K-1 that are intending to be SuperRes ones I get a few shots that I have to scrap, and I'm sure it's because of a single frame being too wildly out of position and ruining the rest. I need to work out how to deal with a single troubling frame and find a way to figure out which frame it is in my stack that's detrimental to the rest...

06-26-2018, 10:36 PM - 2 Likes   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A 5 stack hdr SuperRes;
07-05-2018, 06:11 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice, Bruce! What stacking order did you settle on for the HDR?
07-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Nice, Bruce! What stacking order did you settle on for the HDR?
Checking my camera settings now, I have the bracketing order set to '1', which for 5 images runs as;

0, -1, +1, -2, +2

However when I merge these as a stack in PS it reverses the order, so that the +2 file is at the bottom of the pile and the 0 at the top. I dunno if there is a easy way to somehow just click into that area and somehow reverse the flow/stack, but I just drag the layers about till they are all in the right place (which is really easy as their file names run from the least to the most).
07-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #71
maw
Pentaxian

Checking my camera settings now, I have the bracketing order set to '1', which for 5 images runs as;
Sort them sequentially, first the negative numbers, of course the 0 and then the positive ones.
In my SLRs I set the sequence, - 0 +, i.e. underexposed, normal and overexposed.

Best regards, Mario
07-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Sort them sequentially, first the negative numbers, of course the 0 and then the positive ones.
In my SLRs I set the sequence, - 0 +, i.e. underexposed, normal and overexposed.

Best regards, Mario
It was discussed earlier that this might not be the best ordering. 0 should be the 100% Opacity, not the 33% one. Have you played about and have found for personal experience it is best to have the -2 and -1 as being 100% and 50% opacity?
07-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #73
maw
Pentaxian

It was discussed earlier that this might not be the best ordering. 0 should be the 100% Opacity, not the 33% one. Have you played about and have found for personal experience it is best to have the -2 and -1 as being 100% and 50% opacity?
Hi Bruce,

I use that sequence, but everyone will have different preferences. The important thing is to know how much we are overexposing or under-exposing. I think that is your question!

You have to set the value in your camera's menu, you can set it in steps of 1/3 or 1/2 EV, which will then be used for all over/under exposure processes and for HDR.

Obviously 1/3 corresponds to 33% and 1/2 to 50%, but better to test, because each reflex is different from another also because of the settings

I hope it's clear.

Greetings Mario
07-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Hi Bruce,

I use that sequence, but everyone will have different preferences. The important thing is to know how much we are overexposing or under-exposing. I think that is your question!

You have to set the value in your camera's menu, you can set it in steps of 1/3 or 1/2 EV, which will then be used for all over/under exposure processes and for HDR.

Obviously 1/3 corresponds to 33% and 1/2 to 50%, but better to test, because each reflex is different from another also because of the settings

I hope it's clear.

Greetings Mario
Yeah that's clear, I use 1/3 EV.

I used to have my bracketing order like you with 0 in the middle, I have since changed it so that when editing the stack the 0 exposure frame is at the bottom (as suggested by others). I did make a comparison shot Creating Super Resolution Images Handheld (like a K-1mkii, but not). - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

I did not upload the other version, but if you read that post I came to the conclusion that it looked better (was was best to edit with) by having the 0 exposure at the bottom (100%). Perhaps you should try it if you haven't and report back.
07-05-2018, 03:40 PM   #75
maw
Pentaxian

I did not upload the other version, but if you read that post I came to the conclusion that it looked better (was was best to edit with) by having the 0 exposure at the bottom (100%). Perhaps you should try it if you haven't and report back.
Often these techniques reserve many surprises, you can never say which is the best of all, is a kind of laboratory where starting from reliable data and already proven you come to many other conclusions.
The test in your case is the placement of different levels (stack) in reverse order, this I think will give you very different results.