Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New from today, and quite relevant:
Kandao Raw+ is an automated image stacking tool for Raw files: Digital Photography Review

07-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Thanks for that, I'll have a look into it and give it a whirl the next time I try a SR shot. I did note however that several users are getting crashes, perhaps it needs a little more bug fixing before being properly stable.
07-16-2018, 11:48 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Thanks for that, I'll have a look into it and give it a whirl the next time I try a SR shot. I did note however that several users are getting crashes, perhaps it needs a little more bug fixing before being properly stable.
Yeah me too... FC when trying to process... but haven't had the chance to try it with Pentax RAWs yet.
08-14-2018, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Up

A SuperResolution HDR handheld within Eurama Castle, Faulconbridge, Blue Mountains.

08-14-2018, 07:00 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Up

A SuperResolution HDR handheld within Eurama Castle, Faulconbridge, Blue Mountains.
Strange but eerie perspective. I assume this was done with the new stacking software?
08-14-2018, 07:41 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Strange but eerie perspective. I assume this was done with the new stacking software?
Nah just this original route; A Practical Guide to Creating Superresolution Photos with Photoshop
08-15-2018, 12:41 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That’s a stunning image, Bruce - the resolution enhances the unusual perspective.

08-15-2018, 12:53 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
That’s a stunning image, Bruce - the resolution enhances the unusual perspective.
Thanks!

I only had my Joby 3k tripod with me, and I wasn't up for lying down for the shot, so I just did it handheld (otherwise I might have done a pixelshift or something). These days I opt for a bracketed 0.3 ev with 5 shots fired off and just use that for the Superresolution image, in fact I find this leads to a better hdr shot than using hdr software/processes (which I think often overcook things). What you end up with is a pixelshift like detailed shot with slightly more room to manoeuvre with shadows and highlights.
Glad you liked it =)
10-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #84
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bruce, what's your opinion now that you've got some more experience under your belt on the general utility of Pixel Shift vs Photoshop stacking? Do you have a bottom line summary in a few words? It looks like the stacking solution is working out well, so do you still use Pixel Shift? If so, when would you opt for one over the other?

I pelt you with questions as I've spent time fiddling with dynamic Pixel Shift and have so far been underwhelmed.
10-13-2018, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Bruce, what's your opinion now that you've got some more experience under your belt on the general utility of Pixel Shift vs Photoshop stacking? Do you have a bottom line summary in a few words?
In general, SR (Super Resolution/Photoshop stacking) is a great alternative to those without DPS (Dynamic Pixel Shift, ie non K-1ii users). It's also a great option to providing a sharper image if you are out without a tripod.
However, should you be out and about with a tripod then tripod with pixelshift, because creating and editing SR images in Photoshop does take a lot of computing power and my machine kinda 'hangs' through some of those processes. Regular Pixel Shifting with a tripod is just quick, and even when I take the RAW file to RawTherapee (for motion correction, I never have motion correction on in camera) it takes a few seconds to process that, then it's off to LR for the real editing.

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
It looks like the stacking solution is working out well, so do you still use Pixel Shift? If so, when would you opt for one over the other?

I pelt you with questions as I've spent time fiddling with dynamic Pixel Shift and have so far been underwhelmed.
I have also been using Pixel Shift a fair amount recently with certain lenses to do stuff like 'Aperture Stacking'. Below are some example images;

The areas that are sharp in these images have been taken (with pixel shift) at more stopped down apertures, the softer out of focus areas been shot wider open (sometimes with pixel shift sometimes not needed). The shot is actually taken quite quickly in Av mode, and I tend to adjust the aperture ring only and use a remote to take the shot. I also shoot waterfalls and combine a longer exposure frame (no pixelshift) with an additional pixelshifted shot for boosting sharpness on static non moving parts (rocks, trees etc). Like below;

(rocks pixelshifted, flowing water is not).

You can't do this easily handheld and using SR technique...

Whichever method you choose I find creating a User Mode helpful and assists with streamlining the whole process. I have one User Mode set up for pixelshifting (ie it's turned on) and have such things as firing from the wireless remote preconfigured. I even set out with my K-1 already docked in a small tripod, wireless remote in pocket it all helps to just take quick pixelshifted shots. Most of these recent wet garden shots were all tripodded with pixelshift;

Rustlings Garden | Flickr

It's also handy to have a SR User Mode set up, and I prefer a bracketing approach to creating those shots, something that gives me a little more dynamic range to work with than 5 burst shots of the same exposure (besides I'm not seeing real benefits from pushing past 4-5 frames, and the additional computing power and waiting time past 5 frames makes me feel it's not worth it).

As always it depends on the methods you're employing and the situation you're in. I probably prefer pixel shift as from start to finish it's just less painful, however it does mean you need a tripod, even a small one. There are times I want to shoot handheld only and have had enough of tripods and so SR shots are handy. I go between both methods.