Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2018, 07:43 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I think you may be surprised at what 1/4 power can do. I have used 1/8 and 1/4 power combinations for portrait setups with 2 or three umbrellas with success. 1/2 power may be valuable also depending on your settings for your subject(s), but if I were you I would try to conserve using 1/4 and/or 1/8 when possible.
I'll try my best. I'm planning to go to the actual location maybe a night before, and take few shots to set everything up.

04-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I'll try my best. I'm planning to go to the actual location maybe a night before, and take few shots to set everything up.
Good idea. You could set up a couple of chairs and place objects or a couple of people on them and just test with your light positioning and power.

I am not sure if you saw it in my last post, but if you want another extra pack of AA batteries, the dollar stores have generous deals sometimes, like an 8 pack for a dollar.

---------- Post added 04-30-18 at 11:13 PM ----------

I wanted to mention also, if you are using soft boxes or umbrellas, I would recommend using the bare flash inside them to make the most of the light you have.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-30-2018 at 08:03 PM.
04-30-2018, 08:16 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good idea. You could set up a couple of chairs and place objects or a couple of people on them and just test with your light positioning and power.

I am not sure if you saw it in my last post, but if you want another extra pack of AA batteries, the dollar stores have generous deals sometimes, like an 8 pack for a dollar.

---------- Post added 04-30-18 at 11:13 PM ----------

I wanted to mention also, if you are using soft boxes or umbrellas, I would recommend using the bare flash inside them to make the most of the light you have.
I bought a 48 pack from Sam's Club, so I should be ok I think

Hmm, someone above suggested using a stofen, or a lightsphere to spread the light in the softbox to avoid hotspots..
04-30-2018, 08:47 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I bought a 48 pack from Sam's Club, so I should be ok I think

Hmm, someone above suggested using a stofen, or a lightsphere to spread the light in the softbox to avoid hotspots..
It may be a matter of opinion, but the umbrella or softbox alone will diffuse it to a useable extent. I have never applied an extra diffuser on my flashes when using them with modifiers, and hot spots were not a problem for me. The flash aperture itself can be set to a wide aperture when it is in Manual mode to allow a spread of the light. Placing extra diffusers on the flash will in my opinion reduce the original light source, causing needless loss of power.

04-30-2018, 10:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I think the loss of power is caused by the extra spread of light the diffuser causes, and with a flash alone this spreads all around a room. However inside a soft box the light is captured and concentrated and confined to the angle of coverage of the box, therefore no power loss. Without a diffuser most of the light is projected forwards, whereas to work best the light has to bounce evenly off all the internal surfaces. That’s why they often have refective silver on the insides.

Try it out, it’s worth experimenting with to see if it has an impact in each particular scenario.
05-01-2018, 02:24 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It may be a matter of opinion, but the umbrella or softbox alone will diffuse it to a useable extent. I have never applied an extra diffuser on my flashes when using them with modifiers, and hot spots were not a problem for me. The flash aperture itself can be set to a wide aperture when it is in Manual mode to allow a spread of the light. Placing extra diffusers on the flash will in my opinion reduce the original light source, causing needless loss of power.
They will exist, CJ.

Take a picture of a shoot through umbrella with the flash going off ... you'll see it's not even.

Moving the umbrella as far forward as possible helps.
05-01-2018, 06:28 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The softboxes I bought are reverse type - meaning flash is firing into the reflective surface on the inside, I wonder if that helps to spread the light inside more evenly? Honestly I haven't even considered any of this before purchasing them
05-01-2018, 06:47 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I am sure it would help if the flash points towards an internal reflective surface. I use one where the flash pokes through a hole in the back, therefore the flash head is pointing straight forwards at the subject (as it would be on a shoot-through umbrella also). So in my case it is important to scatter the light in all directions to achieve the softest and most even effect.

With your type of box it may not be as important, however having the light hit and reflect from all internal walls would be preferable I believe.

05-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The softboxes I bought are reverse type - meaning flash is firing into the reflective surface on the inside, I wonder if that helps to spread the light inside more evenly? Honestly I haven't even considered any of this before purchasing them
Yeah, these are better.

Even so, a beauty dish makes sure that the hotspot is minimized by blocking it with a metal disc.

05-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #25
Pentaxian

That should work very well.