Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Hmm, interesting conversation and observations......but does any of it make your current Pentax any less effective?
Be happy people, the reason you bought your Pentax has not changed, the camera is still doing the same job. ...and surprise, it will continue to into the future.
Cheers
I agree with you Mallee Boy. Contrary to most people thinking that Pentax is going bankrupt or losing market share. I have the least concern about that. I realize that Pentax is not for everyone for sure and definitely not for those ill-informed. You go to any camera shop and ask the sales for recommendation, they will say N** or C** have the best flash system - blah, blah blah. And most beginners will believe that.

I choose my K10D because it gives everything I want and need at a favourable price; and I believe most Pentax users are likely me, do some research and compare, not blindly following advice from sales people. I think of Pentax like a BMW (or as some would prefer to compare it as Suburu), don't think that Pentax need to cater to the mass market (Rebel XT/D40x) in order to survive. If they do go bankrupt, I will scoop up the lens and camera for cheap.

I would like to see Pentax continue to build quality products and roll them out as they are ready but not at the expense of inferior quality just to counteract with competition. I rather see higher end models but nothing lower than K200D - those belong to C/N camp.

I will also not interested in FF model either as the APS-C model K10D and K20D is fine for my hobby. And I will be looking to upgrade to K20D when the price becomes affordable to me.

09-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
bill - in south africa, any product NOT bought thru Pentax south africa is gray, so they will not honour any warranty claims or repairs.

Pentax south africa does not even acknowledge official suppliers in other countries.. so if they didn't supply it (they being Pentax SA)- no warranty - no matter where it comes from!
My appologies for the part of my post about SA. Since our Canadian, Australian, and many other Pentax users get the warranty (international I think) I had assumed (MY BAD) you would also. What a bummer!!! You have a legitimate complaint.
09-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #33
Veteran Member

What is the used for an International Warranty if it is not recognize everywhere? I think Pentax should give a serious look into that situation.
09-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Pentax Australia must be swimming against the tide. In recent weeks there have been full-page ads in newspapers and camera mags pushing the K200 and before that the K20. I rang the wholesaler in my nearest city, Adelaide, and he said he has no trouble getting Pentax gear for distribution to retailers. Go figure.

09-14-2008, 10:19 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
I went to the Houston Camera Exchange yesterday to pick up a few odds and ends. As usual I have to browse around the whole store and that's when I noticed that where there used to be 3 shelves for the Pentax display was now down to less than one consisting of one camera kit and only a hand full of lenses, flashes and other accessories. I spoke with several of the salesman and was told that since joining with Hoya that Pentax has made it more difficult to get their products. He said that They used to go direct from Pentax but Pentax won't let them anymore and they are forced to go through a distributor that doesn't offer much from Pentax. As a result for the foreseeable future the only Pentax they will have will be used.

I don't know if what i was told is true or if he was blowing smoke up my hind end. I just know that the fact that where there used to be a good selection of Pentax gear was down to almost nil and that was slightly depressing. Thank goodness for the internet.
Truth is Pentax is the lowest units-sold for 2007 of all brands... not just the major DSLR players, all brands. We can try and dance between the raindrops on this one, and speculate about what Hoya is going to do, but the apparent fact is that they are letting the Pentax brand die on the vine. I've cited this before, but in the sixth largest city in the country (Phoenix) there is not one dedicated camera store selling a full line of Pentax products. Hell, Ritz has the most: two stores with one K200 kit each, no lenses. You can't rent Pentax lenses and the used inventory is shrinking as the inventory slowly gets bought up (stores have either stopped buying them or low-ball them because they don't want them, there's no new-customer base to support the brand and upgrade is non-existent).

I don't know what it portends but it feels a lot like what happened to we die-hard British sports car owners (MG, Austin-Healy, Triumph, etc) in the late 1950s and early 1960s when those marques lost market share, demand dropped, technology lagged because there was no sales to support R&D, parts and service availability problems increased, no advertising and finally just no new customer demand. Yeah, a few of us hung on, but we were simply outgunned on the steet and eventually on the track.

And please don't flame me with comments about then why don't I just shutup and go buy something else. I want to use Pentax gear, I just want my commitment to be matched by the people who make and sell the gear and see a clear demonstration of innovation, growth and stability.
FHPhotographer
09-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #36
Forum Member

Taipei - Brick and Mortar Pentax Heaven

You guys need to move to Asia. In Taipei, there are about five shops (out of maybe 15 in the area) all within walking distance of eachother, that carry the full range of Pentax SLR's. K200D kit or body, K20D kit or body (and also some K100D supers and K10Ds left at a couple shops). Lenses arent a problem either, these shops have a big selection of Pentax, Tamron and Sigma lenses (even seen some * series). At one of the shops, the salesmen even wear K10D jersies (must not be K20 shirts yet). Sure, most of these shops push C & N of course but they are also enthusiastic and knowledgeable about Pentax gear. You can also find Pentax SLR's at some chain stores. Also in Taipei is the bustling distributor's shop where (I've been told by the retail shops) you can change your warranty to international coverage for free. Yes, Pentax is definitely alive and kicking in Taiwan. The other day I even saw a Pentax rep on a Pentax logo'ed scooter. I won't be in Asia forever, I hope this kind of presence heads west!
09-15-2008, 04:58 AM   #37

In the UK, things don't seem that bad. I was actually quite surprised at how good a range of Pentax bodies and lenses Harrods has! Obviously Nikon and Canon (Sony as well) dominate, but if you want a Pentax, you can get a Pentax.

Can't judge on price..

09-15-2008, 05:44 AM   #38
Inactive Account

I am going on a trip Dec 15th. Until then, I am waiting to see Pentax new camera. Unless it is a real winner, with better white balance, better metering, much better autofocus, and antishake at least as good a Sony, I am switching to N or C. Then, I woun't have read posts about possibly going out of business, I won't have to throw away shots for poor focus, and the white balance and metering will be better. Yes, photography is who is behind the lens, but am an amature. I don't need to be worring about those other things while I am trying to compose. If I see a moose in alaska like this lasts trip, I want it in focus fast and at least 5fps. I am partial to pentax. I always have been, but it is to the point that I don't need the aggravation. I know this is sacreligeous, but tough. I bought their K10, and it is their obligation to keep up. How can I buy more lenses if I can't count on them in one way or another? I am not rich.

James
09-15-2008, 06:10 AM   #39

My not so local large camera shop (NATCAM) in Minneapolis has only two Pentax cameras in the shelf, a K200D and a K20D, compared to many Nikon Canon and Sony DSLR's. When I asked them about it I was told that Pentax fired the local rep that was in once a month and now no one ever comes in the shop to push Pentax at the wholesale level.

Also the price of a K20D was only $200 less than the D300 they had on special that day.

Tom
09-15-2008, 06:18 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
My not so local large camera shop (NATCAM) in Minneapolis has only two Pentax cameras in the shelf, a K200D and a K20D, compared to many Nikon Canon and Sony DSLR's. When I asked them about it I was told that Pentax fired the local rep that was in once a month and now no one ever comes in the shop to push Pentax at the wholesale level.

Also the price of a K20D was only $200 less than the D300 they had on special that day.

Tom
Know exactly what you mean...shopped at the same store(s) in the Twin Cities many times. Actually, I really like the folks at NatCam up there. I have never heard the typical Pentax bashing from them. As a matter of fact, they encouraged me to look at the K10D. I did not tell them at the time that I was a Pentax guy.

Most of the sales guys there just want to sell product. They understand everyone has their own favorites and it's up to them to get the customer the product they want or need, regardless of their own personal bias.

No matter what sunshine is blown at us, Pentax has a marketing/image problem, at least in the USA. As I've said before, they have allowed themselves to be defined by their competition and their competitions "sales force".
09-15-2008, 06:22 AM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jdnaples Quote
I am going on a trip Dec 15th. Until then, I am waiting to see Pentax new camera. Unless it is a real winner, with better white balance, better metering, much better autofocus, and antishake at least as good a Sony, I am switching to N or C. Then, I woun't have read posts about possibly going out of business, I won't have to throw away shots for poor focus, and the white balance and metering will be better. Yes, photography is who is behind the lens, but am an amature. I don't need to be worring about those other things while I am trying to compose. If I see a moose in alaska like this lasts trip, I want it in focus fast and at least 5fps. I am partial to pentax. I always have been, but it is to the point that I don't need the aggravation. I know this is sacreligeous, but tough. I bought their K10, and it is their obligation to keep up. How can I buy more lenses if I can't count on them in one way or another? I am not rich.

James
I hope the grass is greener on the other side for your sake- but from what I have heard & seen you might be in for a bit of a shock - No camera is perfect (sorry to tell you that but it's true).
09-15-2008, 06:33 AM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Pentax Australia must be swimming against the tide. In recent weeks there have been full-page ads in newspapers and camera mags pushing the K200 and before that the K20. I rang the wholesaler in my nearest city, Adelaide, and he said he has no trouble getting Pentax gear for distribution to retailers. Go figure.
Yep even seeing Pentax advertising in Perth and even during the Formula One racing on TV the Sigma Lens ad proudly announced that there mounts were available for Canon, Nikon, PENTAX & Sony - perhaps sigma know something many of us on here don't.
09-15-2008, 07:20 AM   #43
Site Supporter

Killing of Pentax would be a very dumb ass thing to do. I don't think Suzuki is a dumb ass but I could be wrong in that money doesn't automatically raise one's IQ.
09-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Killing of Pentax would be a very dumb ass thing to do. I don't think Suzuki is a dumb ass but I could be wrong in that money doesn't automatically raise one's IQ.
My personal opinion is that nobody is trying to "kill" Pentax. You're right, that would be dumb. If this were true, we never would've had the K10D and K20D...too much went into them for a company that was just trying to eliminate the division.

I think there is some confusion on the marketing strategy, either on the companies end (not sure how to go forward after the Hoya thing) or on the customers end (have no idea what they are doing). Hopefully they will clear things up soon.
09-15-2008, 08:44 AM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
My personal opinion is that nobody is trying to "kill" Pentax. You're right, that would be dumb. If this were true, we never would've had the K10D and K20D...too much went into them for a company that was just trying to eliminate the division.

I think there is some confusion on the marketing strategy, either on the companies end (not sure how to go forward after the Hoya thing) or on the customers end (have no idea what they are doing). Hopefully they will clear things up soon.
I think part of the problem is that many people have a hard time thinking beyond quarter to quarter rather than a 5 year plan or longer. I', betting Hoya is thinking long term.