Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #46
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
I hope the grass is greener on the other side for your sake- but from what I have heard & seen you might be in for a bit of a shock - No camera is perfect (sorry to tell you that but it's true).
As I said, I am waiting for Pentax to snow me with their next camera. However, green or not on the other side of the fence, I will not have to read posts about them going out of business. Of course, know camera is perfect, but that doesn't mean they are all equal. I would like to stay with pentax, but they have to meet my needs. We will just have to wait and see.

09-15-2008, 11:36 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jdnaples Quote
I am going on a trip Dec 15th. Until then, I am waiting to see Pentax new camera. Unless it is a real winner, with better white balance, better metering, much better autofocus, and antishake at least as good a Sony, I am switching to N or C. Then, I woun't have read posts about possibly going out of business, I won't have to throw away shots for poor focus, and the white balance and metering will be better. Yes, photography is who is behind the lens, but am an amature. I don't need to be worring about those other things while I am trying to compose. If I see a moose in alaska like this lasts trip, I want it in focus fast and at least 5fps. I am partial to pentax. I always have been, but it is to the point that I don't need the aggravation. I know this is sacreligeous, but tough. I bought their K10, and it is their obligation to keep up. How can I buy more lenses if I can't count on them in one way or another? I am not rich.

James
I sounds to me you have pre-conceived notion that Pentax is not up your expectation in comparison to other brands. It begs the question why you got the K10D in the first place.

I have friends who have D200 and 5D but they are not really gaining any advantage on my k10D. They may be faster (AF, and fps) but are the images are not nearly as crisp and sharp they want or as compared to mine. Honestly, I think most of the problem is in our head and perhaps the lens used (a fast lens would help).

It does not matter to me whether Pentax will replace k20D or not (in fact it can only be a matter of time). If you need to get something better than k20D now to meet your needs, don't waste any time if it makes you feel better - but be aware that there is always a better camera next which can do more and better. Wish you good luck.
09-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jdnaples Quote
As I said, I am waiting for Pentax to snow me with their next camera. However, green or not on the other side of the fence, I will not have to read posts about them going out of business. Of course, know camera is perfect, but that doesn't mean they are all equal. I would like to stay with pentax, but they have to meet my needs. We will just have to wait and see.
You can always go for a Hasselblad H3D with 39meg. It's awesome. AF is fast and accurate, pictures are outstanding, but you only get 1.2 frames per sec. Where it hurts is in the pocket: $30,000.00. I'm lucky enough to have the opportunity to work with one. And I'm also lucky enough to let somebody else foot the bill.
09-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
You can always go for a Hasselblad H3D with 39meg. It's awesome. AF is fast and accurate, pictures are outstanding, but you only get 1.2 frames per sec. Where it hurts is in the pocket: $30,000.00. I'm lucky enough to have the opportunity to work with one. And I'm also lucky enough to let somebody else foot the bill.

Just goes to show...no matter how much you spend, you will never get the perfect camera.

09-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
the salesperson literally said: "Forget it, the Nikon D40 is light years ahead of any Pentax stuff...."

Robert B
The thing that's so frustrating is that Nikon usually releases gear that has about the same specs and IQ as Pentax, but everybody acts like it's a big deal when it's from Nikon.

The d40 was roughly equivalent to the K110D, except the K110D had some extra features. Compare the hype and sales of the d40 to the K110D, or the K100D for that matter.

How many D80's sold compared to the K10D? Was the D80 really that much better? I doubt it from what I've read.

I'll also point out a couple of other things. Commission. Dpreview.

Commission is an obvious one.

And Dpreview has lots of influence on opinions. Right or wrong, it's a fact. If you want a chuckle or two, read the D200 review and the K10D review. In the D200 review, the default soft jpegs are noted but then dismissed as "normal" for the class. But similar looking soft jpegs out of the K10D are their biggest knock against it, and probably the main reason it barely squeaked by with a recommended. In fact, dpreview mentions that they adjusted jpeg settings to improve output from the D200 when compared with a Canon, to help the read better understand what the D200 was capable of. It's kind of funny. And read the kit lens reviews and scores too. Hilarious. So it's understandable when you read comments on dpreview forums about how pentax gear would be good if you could use it to actually take pictures with. A little stupid perhaps, but understandable, the posters are only aping what they've read on the site.
09-25-2008, 07:51 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Truth is Pentax is the lowest units-sold for 2007 of all brands... not just the major DSLR players, all brands. We can try and dance between the raindrops on this one, and speculate about what Hoya is going to do, but the apparent fact is that they are letting the Pentax brand die on the vine. I've cited this before, but in the sixth largest city in the country (Phoenix) there is not one dedicated camera store selling a full line of Pentax products. Hell, Ritz has the most: two stores with one K200 kit each, no lenses. You can't rent Pentax lenses and the used inventory is shrinking as the inventory slowly gets bought up (stores have either stopped buying them or low-ball them because they don't want them, there's no new-customer base to support the brand and upgrade is non-existent).

I don't know what it portends but it feels a lot like what happened to we die-hard British sports car owners (MG, Austin-Healy, Triumph, etc) in the late 1950s and early 1960s when those marques lost market share, demand dropped, technology lagged because there was no sales to support R&D, parts and service availability problems increased, no advertising and finally just no new customer demand. Yeah, a few of us hung on, but we were simply outgunned on the steet and eventually on the track.

And please don't flame me with comments about then why don't I just shutup and go buy something else. I want to use Pentax gear, I just want my commitment to be matched by the people who make and sell the gear and see a clear demonstration of innovation, growth and stability.
FHPhotographer
No flamin' from me, I'm pretty much in agreement with everything you said. As satisfied as I am with my Pentax gear, they aren't exactly hottin' up the sales charts are they?

It's too bad, because the reasons they aren't making sales have little to do with image quality, build quality, lens and accessory selection, or anything that actually matters to the image, it's all the mythology, mindshare and marketing. Sony hasn't exactly been able to make a big splash on the market either, even with their size and brand awareness, so it's still a c and n world.
09-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #52

I guess I am one of the lucky ones to live in Vancouver. We have a couple of stores that carry a wide range of Pentax gear (last time I was in Leos the staff were all wearing Pentax shirts!!). THey all know the Pentax gear really well. THey also carry stock of third party lenses with Pentax mounts and will spend as much time as you like discussing options.
The other store (Dunne and Rindle) have a good range of stuff and had a quick play with K20 today - now I am dreaming.
Anyway back to the post - from here it looks like lot's of good things happening.

10-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #53

i bought my pentax and verry first DSLR camera like 3 months ago, i didn't knew annything about DSLR's and when i was looking far a descent camera EVERY salesman i spoke to adviced me to either buy Nikon D60 or canon (my budget was around 550euro's) in this one store i was holding the camera's just to see how they feel...so i asked to hold the pentax K10D , it was a hughe hughe difference with the nikon ar canon i held, they really felt like plastic toys, the pentax actually really felt more profesional so i asked the guy about the difference between the pentax and the nikon and canon...so he was like naaaaaah i really shouldn't buy the pentax because the quality of the canon/nikon is way better, the anti shake is in the body so thats not good, came down to it that i should just forget about the pentax.

not really convinced i asked around on the internet incl. this forum and EVERYBODY even on forums pro nikon /canon everybody just said to go with pentax K10D point blank, turned out that the K10D is at a complete other level.

didn't regret a sec about choosing pentax!! and luckely i didn't really trusted all the bull**** that guy at the store was saying.
10-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #54
Veteran Member

It also begs the question - why did the disappointed Pentax users buy into the system in the first place (surely they did a thorough research of all the brands on offer).

I downloaded and compared many pics from the N d200, C 40d, S a700 (could easily afford any of them) before making my purchase of the Pentax K10 (in fact I really liked the output from the Sony a lot, but not the ergo's).

To the naysayers - if you don't like - sell and move to the glorified world of Nikon & Canon - you should then get superior photo's.
10-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
It also begs the question - why did the disappointed Pentax users buy into the system in the first place (surely they did a thorough research of all the brands on offer).

I downloaded and compared many pics from the N d200, C 40d, S a700 (could easily afford any of them) before making my purchase of the Pentax K10 (in fact I really liked the output from the Sony a lot, but not the ergo's).

To the naysayers - if you don't like - sell and move to the glorified world of Nikon & Canon - you should then get superior photo's.
With all due respect, could you please show me where in any of my posts that I didn't like the system or Pentax. Just because one would like to see a few changes does not translate to not liking a product. I honestly believe that quality for price you can't do better than Pentax.
10-05-2008, 05:16 AM   #56
Veteran Member

My apologies - the comment was not directed at you personally.

Generalization is implied.

You have to agree there is a great deal of negativity thrown around (on a Pentax forum) at the Pentax brand and it is becoming a little tedious to say the least.

d
10-05-2008, 06:07 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Buy online

I hate to say it, because as a small business owner I feel like it's important to support local businesses and buy from "brick and mortar" stores where the salesperson knows you and you know the salesperson.

However, the reality of consumer shopping in America is increasingly moving in the direction of "buy online or don't bother." None of the local stores I used to frequent for photography equipment or computer/office supplies have anywhere near the selection that online stores have. Likewise, online stores usually have lower prices and don't charge sales tax if its from out of state.

Yesterday I went to three local costume stores looking for a Halloween costume for my daughter and none of the local stores had the costume we wanted. My wife and I came home with our daughter and bought the Halloween outfit we wanted in less than 10 minutes ... and based on the prices we saw at the local stores I'm sure that even if the local stores had it we would have paid much more.

Honestly, the situation you describe with Pentax products at your local camera store is no different than local office supply stores that have fewer computers or printers in stock than online stores ... or the camera store closest to me that only sells Canon and Nikon DSLRs and a bunch of low-end point-and-shoot cameras. The small local stores are struggling in America unless they're managing a successful percentage of online sales.

Bottom line, I don't consider this to be an indication that Pentax is in danger ... rather it's an indication that local stores are having a tough time while more and more consumers are shopping for the best deals and the best selection of products online.
10-07-2008, 04:02 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Too true

We can do such infinite amounts of research on most products now that more often then not we know much more than the sales person behind the counter.

For camera's though, brick and mortar stores are nice so as to get the feel in the hands so to speak and peak through the viewfinder.

What happens though in reality is that the business owners of these stores find that the customer comes in (catches a feel,so to speak) of diff brands - then looks online for the best price and makes the purchase of his preferred choice, online

For lenses - Pentax lenses can be purchased online (and all 3rd party lenses) very easily with warranty periods - even here in South Africa where Pentax is "what's that camera ya using bud" ;-)

d
10-20-2008, 04:50 AM   #59

Let down by Jessops

The last time I went to a branch of Jessops (a UK photgraphic chain), they had a large shelf of DSLRs behind thick glass - all Canon, Nikon, Sony and Olympus. Further back in the shop, behind the counter, were all the P&S cameras. One Pentax among them.

I agree that web purchasing has driven many high street shops to desperation, but this is ridiculous. Jessops is (I think) the biggest photographic retailer in the UK. I would consider buying lenses there if they were actually on display and priced competitively (which Jessops is capable of doing). They can do some great deals, but their website can often be hit and miss when it comes to value.

You've more chance of getting Pentax equipment in the small independent shops - I went to one in Lincoln not long ago, and they had plenty of good kit there. At least they've got some sense to stock it.

Rant over!
10-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Online or big city...

Here in Toronto, I can *comparison shop* for Pentax bodies and lenses if I feel like it. Maybe that's why one poster from Scotland said he'd heard a store in Canada had everything Pentax... well, it's spread over several stores, really - and they all sell online as well!

Now, when it comes down to spending my $CDN, I'll buy online from thecamerastore.com in Calgary. Lower prices, less tax, and they know what they're talking about (if I call with a question). Sometimes I can save enough to buy another lens! And with the Canadian dollar dropping faster than the US, buying from B&H or others is no longer an option.

But if I go out into the rest of the country, I'd bet that same store in Calgary would be the next stop (going west) to even get a battery for my K20D. (For the geographically unaware, that's a *really* big "not-much-pentax" zone!) So it's online shopping for most, which is where forums like this (and sadly, places like dpreview) start to concretely effect the sales of Pentax gear. This is the future!