Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2008, 06:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Got depressed at local camera store

I went to the Houston Camera Exchange yesterday to pick up a few odds and ends. As usual I have to browse around the whole store and that's when I noticed that where there used to be 3 shelves for the Pentax display was now down to less than one consisting of one camera kit and only a hand full of lenses, flashes and other accessories. I spoke with several of the salesman and was told that since joining with Hoya that Pentax has made it more difficult to get their products. He said that They used to go direct from Pentax but Pentax won't let them anymore and they are forced to go through a distributor that doesn't offer much from Pentax. As a result for the foreseeable future the only Pentax they will have will be used.

I don't know if what i was told is true or if he was blowing smoke up my hind end. I just know that the fact that where there used to be a good selection of Pentax gear was down to almost nil and that was slightly depressing. Thank goodness for the internet.

09-10-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It is true that most of the stores that I know in my area either went out of business or do not offer any Pentax gear. I need to drive to NYC to buy Pentax (which considering tolls, parking cost is not very efficient so I buy on-line).

As to the only option for the store to order from distributor, I am puzzled. What Pentax distributor wouldn't offer full range of Pentax gear? It might not be in-stock, but retailer should be able to order what they want.

Another sad story about Pentax's marketing.
09-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I understand that Hoya is re-structuring the entire Pentax marketing, and sales devisions.
And that everything should improve soon.

So just give it some time, and you'll see the shelves loaded up, with even more products
09-10-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I read in a post awhile back (not sure if it's true or not) that Pentax (Hoya) is requiring dealers to purchase larger quantities of stock in order to qualify as a Pentax dealer. Many stores (right or wrong) do not sell as much Pentax gear as they do N and C, so they don't want to put out the investment and decide to drop their focus on Pentax.

If this is true, I'm not sure of the wisdom in their marketing strategy. Pentax does not have the market share that Nikon and Canon do, and apparently doesn't care. That's fine, but if the only place you can get a Pentax camera is at a big-box store, you run the risk of being branded as a cheaper and/or second-rate product.

Increasing dealer stock minimums to qualify as a dealer sounds like someone's quick idea to cut costs or improve margins. Less paperwork/admin costs, higher volume. It doesn't always work. Or they are trying to go "internet" on their sales for the same reasons. These types of decisions can be SOP when a company is bought by another and wants to make changes.

Again...don't know if this is true or not.

09-10-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I understand that Hoya is re-structuring the entire Pentax marketing, and sales devisions.
And that everything should improve soon.

So just give it some time, and you'll see the shelves loaded up, with even more products

Your enthusiasm is commendable ans I sincerely hope that you are correct. I do wish that Hoya/Pentax would show us at least a little something of what the future holds because from what we are being shown it isn't looking too promising.

Don't think for a second that I am planning on jumping ship. Not a chance. There are still many avenues available to pentaxians for our equipment needs. In fact I waiting on two new/old lenses right now.
09-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Just say that I know somebody, whom knows somebody. That type of thing.
And I can't pass on any additional information I was given.
09-10-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been to Houston Camera Exchange several times. Last time was by the end of July and they had a pretty good inventory of Pentax gear, but their prices were high enough to discourage anyone into buying something. This pricing policy from HCE (on Pentax stuff) has been the same for the past years and to be honest, they don't give a rats ass about Pentax. They rely on N and C stuff to make their business.

In fact, last July when I went there (just to have a memory card burned into a CD) I overheard a salesman on the phone, talking to some customer that apparently asked about Pentax, and the salesperson literally said: "Forget it, the Nikon D40 is light years ahead of any Pentax stuff...."

Don't know how true is this that Hoya is demanding a certain amount of minumum purchases for dealers or resellers, but to me, it sounds like a lot of BS. The last thing Hoya wants is to get rid of established distribution channels. Besides, if there were other big photo outlets in Houston that carried pentax gear, I would presume Hoya (Pentax) would try to encourage sales increase, but since HCE is the only big camera store in this big city, I am almost sure this situation comes from an inner decision at HCE rather than anything coming from Pentax (Hoya).

Robert B

09-10-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
I've been to Houston Camera Exchange several times. Last time was by the end of July and they had a pretty good inventory of Pentax gear, but their prices were high enough to discourage anyone into buying something. This pricing policy from HCE (on Pentax stuff) has been the same for the past years and to be honest, they don't give a rats ass about Pentax. They rely on N and C stuff to make their business.

Robert B
I guess our experiences with HCE differ. Everyone I've dealt with there except for one has been courteous, friendly, and helpful. They've not tried to talk me into switching brands and most had good things to say about Pentax. I usually go there to browse the used lenses and the bargain bins.

QuoteQuote:
I am almost sure this situation comes from an inner decision at HCE rather than anything coming from Pentax (Hoya).
I's suspect that you are correct.
09-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Don't know how true is this that Hoya is demanding a certain amount of minumum purchases for dealers or resellers, but to me, it sounds like a lot of BS. The last thing Hoya wants is to get rid of established distribution channels.
I agree that it sounds like a lot of BS but I have worked at large company and I have seen decisions made at the top level of management that were just ... oh well ... simply stupid. So who knows?
09-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #10

Ritz...

I went to Ritz camera in the local mall, and it's depressing to see that all they had was a k110d.

I was looking to see about a grip for my k20d, and they had it for 179... which made me more angry than depressed.

I told them that amazon had it for 126 and adorama had hit for 140, and if they'd match 140, I'd take it. But they won't match internet pricing, which is understandable.

From the look of the box, it looks like it's the display from early k10d days, I thought that they might just want to move stock, but I guess it'll be a display for the next 5 years.
09-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
I guess our experiences with HCE differ. Everyone I've dealt with there except for one has been courteous, friendly, and helpful. They've not tried to talk me into switching brands and most had good things to say about Pentax. I usually go there to browse the used lenses and the bargain bins.
I've had similar experiences to your at HCE. Usually they are pretty even-handed, though once the owner/manager did admit that Canon and Nikon were the easy sales and there was little to no risk in for them, unlike when he used to push Konica-Minolta (before Sony resurrected the mount).

The last time I was there, though, I asked about the used Pentax lenses and the sales guy said "there's not any market for them". I literally laughed out loud and asked if he'd actually checked ebay lately. I told him that the prices are insane there. (Okay, I probably just ruined it for us, but they didn't have anything worthwhile.)

I bought a couple of Pentax lenses from them in the past, and paid dearly for them. I did it mainly to vote with my wallet. However, I'm just as happy buying online, and using HCE for all my other photographic needs.

All in all, I think it's a good place to shop. As good as any brick and mortar, at least.
09-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
I read in a post awhile back (not sure if it's true or not) that Pentax (Hoya) is requiring dealers to purchase larger quantities of stock in order to qualify as a Pentax dealer. Many stores (right or wrong) do not sell as much Pentax gear as they do N and C, so they don't want to put out the investment and decide to drop their focus on Pentax.
Pentax like the other manufacturers will offer incentives to move their products in what form? That's up to Pentax/Hoya marketing department. This is why you sometimes have a sales person "pushing" a particular product, you may not initially see it when you haven't built a rapport with the retailer but given time you'll see it
09-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Pentax like the other manufacturers will offer incentives to move their products in what form? That's up to Pentax/Hoya marketing department. This is why you sometimes have a sales person "pushing" a particular product, you may not initially see it when you haven't built a rapport with the retailer but given time you'll see it

I have never had a retailer push a Pentax product on me, regardless of a rebate or other incentive. N and C? Oh yeah, one or the other, REGARDLESS of incentive.
09-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #14

Don't know how is today, but in the 80's we got got paid nice "Spiffs'" from certain manufacturers. Nikon, Olympus, Minolta would pay us like $10 per body, $5 per flash. Richoh had a slick P&S and holiday period we got $12 per unit sold. I worked part time for one of the two biggest camera stores in SoCal at the time. Sometimes I'd have a crowd of peeps around me listening to my pitch, I'd sell 15 units just like that.

Canon and Pentax never paid any spiffs. I shot Pentax, because I research the crap outta stuff and too me it was a smaller slicker Nikon. (the Super Program, this was 1983/84) And I had no problem moving everyone that came in wanting Canon (who had made a name with our service man during the Nam) to other brands. (The AE1 was clunky by then, cloth shutter, heavy, etc) It was a fun time to sell cameras...Nikon F3, OM-10, Maxxum, etc....

These days out here is Ritz (crap) and not much else, pretty sad......
09-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
It is true that most of the stores that I know in my area either went out of business or do not offer any Pentax gear. I need to drive to NYC to buy Pentax (which considering tolls, parking cost is not very efficient so I buy on-line).

As to the only option for the store to order from distributor, I am puzzled. What Pentax distributor wouldn't offer full range of Pentax gear? It might not be in-stock, but retailer should be able to order what they want.

Another sad story about Pentax's marketing.
Same here in the Metro Detroit area. 1/3 of the camera stores have gone out of business in my area. This leaves two dedicated mom and pop shops, one appliance shop that is also a major camera shop (Adrays Dearborn) and a couple Ritz camera stores, not bad, but there is a problem. As you guys have stated all the stores are dropping or really lowering the quantity of Pentax gear.

What really disappoints me is when I go in Best-Buy or Micro Center or Circuit City and they have tons of Oly, Sony Nikon and Canon gear, nothing Pentax. And it seems just months ago my mom and pop stores had lots of Pentax stuff and even Samsung, like my GX10 I bought local, its almost like Pentax is going out of business if you just shopped at the stores and not the Internet, and many people do just that. They are Doctors, Lawyers and other well paid professionals or busy business people who just want a dSLR have deep wallets and dont want to do all the research and spending time on the Internet, they go into these mom and pop stores knowing they will get the best and buy Canon/Nikon, as do the pros. The other typical consumer is starting to buy Sony and Oly at Best-Buy along with Canon and Nikon. What and where does Pentax sell to in my area I dont know. There are a few of us Pentax guys in my area, thats what one of my sales man said at one of my stores and some Pentax Pros but nothing like C/N.

But there is another side to the story and that's the mom and pop stores always recommended N/C. When I went in to try the A100, E510 and GX10 out, the sales man was pushing me Canon first Nikon second, he even showed me a used D80 Nikon for $500 and said this is the camera I should get the others are not good. So I kinda dont blame Pentax for putting a stop to that type of marketing where the stores pushes Pentax down for others. So I think the Pentax logic is make them sell a certain amount and the stores wont do that anymore because they have to sell some Pentax and not let them sit there and collect dust. I think I see the logic, but its not working out. I think Pentax needed better and just more advertising, they had a great couple years and to me a typical consumer where looking like the top dog in the under $1000 dSLRs or low-mid cost dSLRs.