Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Hey guys, Great shots there. My main hobby is cycling....and I can say, those are some good shots.

09-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by azn_hotmale Quote
First time posting here, but you can check out Graham Watson's site. He's big in the cycling world. He's a D3 shooter though if that matters to you or not. He has a part on his site where he provides tips to shooting cycling races.

:: GrahamWatson.com ::

I found when shooting a local race here in May that a borrowed DA* 50 - 135 would lock on focus best when the body was set to the center focus point. Also, try to barge in and use your body at the finishing line to try to get a picture of the finishing sprint if it's a flat stage and there's no chance for a breakaway. I did and was glad as there was not that many heads blocking the shot. I am a newbie at this, but I hope this helps.
Graham migrated (back?) to Nikon? Interesting!

He's a former Canon shooter. I met with him personally at the 2003 Worlds. He is a very nice man, and really approachable. He waited for me for 15 minutes after the Pro Men's race so he could sign one of his books that I bought: "Visions of Cycling". I also have charley Mottet's signature in the book too...

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 09-30-2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: clarification
09-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Sorry, late to the party!

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Going to a few of the Tour Of Missouri stages this week. Will take the camera equipment ( K10D, K20D, many lenses) for serious shooting. Did this last year and the shots were okay but most didn't knock me out.

The pro bikers are moving at incredible speed. You have just a few seconds to shoot the whole peloton. The final stage will have them do 6 or 7 laps for the win. This is still very little "shooting time". Anyone have any tips on shooting this kind of stuff? Don't get much chance to practice.

thanks
barondla
Barondla: I am a former racer, who did more than a few shots! The suggestions given are sound, no question. I also did some shoots that were a little "outside the box". Some were good enough to be published - one in a newspaper, another in Ontario Cycling Association's mag. A lot depends on accessibility and your situation, including if you had credentials, etc...

I'll try to post some images later on. Just have to find them...

Regards,
Marc
10-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
No credentials. Just common bystander.
1st is Cavendish winning stage in St Charles, Mo.
2nd shot shows Garmin and Columbia riders warning rest of peloton of manhole cover (no fun on bike when wet).
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #11 WINNERS. Enter #12. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo