Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: how many times have you dropped your camera?
never 7749.36%
1 3623.08%
2 95.77%
3+ 63.85%
are you crazy? my camera is my baby 2516.03%
once weekly (i hope no one chooses this lol) 31.92%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Never have...and I hope I never do.
*touches wood*

09-13-2008, 03:02 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Once I dropped my photo backpack with all my gear inside while taking it out from the overhead locker on the plane. It hit the armrest of a nearby chair on its way to the floor... Fortunately - no damage at all
09-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did once - right after wrapping up a shoot. It just slipped right out of my hands.

Luckily it was onto a padded floor.

That same day I bought a hand strap
09-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have yet to drop any of my digitals, but my old Ricoh KR-5 has been through hell and back, and keeps on tickin' Dropped it on the driveway many many years ago, the only damage is a mangled up filter thread on the original Riconar 55mm f2.2 lens, BUT with patience, I can still thread a filter on it. My buddy was taking a shot of me and a beautiful smallmouth bass I had just caught, and he dropped it in the Meramec river near St. James Mo. No harm after blowing it dry with a hair dryer, although two times the shutter hung open on it, almost as if the shutter was set to bulb, but it eventually closed, and hasn't done it again in the past 20 years. Another time, I had it in the bottom of a jon boat while fishing, in a plastic bag that I mistakenly thought was waterproof.....nope, picked up the camera, and water was literally running out of it, lol, ruined the film inside, but didn't harm the camera at all.

09-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Only once. Work called and asked me to bring my camera to photograph some damage (for insurance) to the tow bar used to back aircraft out of the gates. Since it was night, I brought along my Strobonar with the 510v battery belt pack to make sure there was enough light. After taking the pics, I was inside Operations and had placed my Spottie on the desk (without disconnecting the battery). The phone rang and I turned to answer it pulling the camera off the desk lens first onto the tile floor. The camera was ok but it cost Delta Air Lines a new SMC Takumar 50 f1.4.

CW
09-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Never, fortunately, touch wood.
I use the strap ALWAYS, even when mounting it on a tripod, then i take it off. Having the strap around your neck when it's on the tripod is another shitstorm waiting for a zone to happen on.
09-13-2008, 07:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Twice (kinda).

Can't actually call them a drop because they were not in my hands at the time.

The first time (PZ-1), I was in a rush to go on a cave tour and I wanted to take my tripod and camera body with the print film. Took the Manfrotto QR plate off the other camera and placed it on this body. Got to the ticket store area (ceramic tile) placed the camera & tripod down. About a minute later crash! The Vivitar flash literally shattered, pieces everywhere. I had placed the QR plate backwards on the body. The camera & lens survived. I bought a second QR plate (one for both bodies) at the next opportunity.

The second happened 2 weeks ago, and was the result of a curious cat jumping on a shelf in the middle of the night. My K10D and 50-135 hit the carpeted floor (from about 5 feet). Unfortunately the lens took the all weight of the body, and it is beyond repair. I'm negotiating with the insurance on that one now.

09-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

got two babies in the house (1yr + 2yr) camera is OUT OF REACH :S
09-13-2008, 08:42 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I haven't dropped my DSLR but through the years my film cameras have been bounced around. My Pentax SP 1000 which still works has survived 2 motorcycle crashes and was in a backpack which fell off a cliff.
09-14-2008, 12:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Nevar...

I don't use a strap...never have, never will...it's in the bag, for whatever reason...

First thing I do with all the film cams I have is to take the strap/rings off

And most importantly...people know not to touch my stuff So glad I won't have any kids to worry about...
09-14-2008, 03:24 AM   #26

Once, while it was in a bag from 3 inches height
So I could say I never really dropped it, thanks God!
But I choosed "are you crazy, my canera is my baby" answer since I'm very carefull about it! I dropped my old Canon A75 three times, and third was also the last since it stopped working then (lens got stuck), so I'm taking a good care of K10D
Hope it'll stay that way...
09-14-2008, 06:13 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Whenever I place my cameras on a table I ensure that the straps are also on the table, where they can't get wrapped up in anything to drag them around.
I'll second that advice. I'm always wary of the strap, even though I know the camera is safer with it on. Whenever I see my K10D on a table and the strap is hanging off, I have horrible visions of some heavy object tugging it off and it crashing on a hard floor below. So I make the strap safe... In fact, make the strap safe anywhere.
Thankfully no accidents yet.
09-14-2008, 08:15 AM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
When I fell recently, I hit the deck first, my camera held proudly above me, no where near the ground.

My wife says it would have been the same if I had been holding a drink, not a drop would have been be spilt.
09-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #29
Kei

0 times, so far so good (knock on wood)

I always take the precaution to wear the camera on me before lifting it up.
09-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Camera? Never.

Lens, only once, back in December 1976, while at top of Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri. Iwas changing lenses on my once beloved Praktica LLC, and I dropped my Focal (K mart brand) 80-210 F/4.5 lens. I managed to place my foot on the lens path and thankfully, I only got a minor bump on my foot that didn't hurt at all. Notrhing happened to the lens, even though it rolled for about 10 feet (the floor is curved up there) and stoppped against someone elses feet.

Since then, the only personal gadget I drop about one a week, is my cell phone, which is a vintage Nokia 5125. I know, its old, its funny, its retro but I canīt think of a more reliable cell phone in the world. It has never failed and the first battery lasted for almost six years.

Robert B.