Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: how many times have you dropped your camera?
never 7749.36%
1 3623.08%
2 95.77%
3+ 63.85%
are you crazy? my camera is my baby 2516.03%
once weekly (i hope no one chooses this lol) 31.92%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #31
Banned

QuoteQuote:
But I do have a fairly short red Pentax strap on each of my bodies - and I wrap it once around my right hand before I do anything else with the camera.
I do the exact same thing. that's why I have one of those older thin straps from a K1000 on my K110D. when I hit the streets the first thing I do is wrap it around my hand. having said that I have dropped my K110D one time but it fell maybe half a foot onto a carpeted floor and hit my mattress on the way down so no harm done.

09-14-2008, 03:48 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hm, not sure what option to tick. I've subjected a couple of cameras to abuse, but not exactly dropped them, as such... not personally, anyway...

1. I checked my huge backpack on a bus, and forgot my K1000 was in a side pocket. Remembered just as the driver picked it up and slung it into the cargo hold... with the pocket with the camera in it facing down. The entire 40 lb or so came down on the camera, I figured it was a goner.

Got to my destination, and found the lens cap jammed in the polarising filter. Had to take the filter off and smash it to get the lens cap off. Other than that, it was fine. The camera still works, although I've not used it lately. Oh, the lens (50mm f2) fell apart years later, but I fixed it and it may have had nothing to do with being bashed.

2. My first digital was an Oly Stylus. It has a little wrist strap. Twice I was scrambling around on rocks, forgot it was on my wrist, not around my neck, and reached out for a handhold - with the camera swinging off my wrist. So not really a drop, but a good blow. It's dented, and probably not weather-resistant any more, but it still works.

I don't think I've dropped the K100D. Yet. I've set my backpack down a little more roughly than intended a few times, but given how well-padded the camera is in there, that doesn't count.

I hate neck straps, so I have one of those harnesses so it's on my shoulders, not my neck. The only problem is that if I take the camera off the harness, I've got no strap at all on it. Must pick up some matching snap clips so I can stick a regular strap on it, I could at least wrap that around my wrist. A DSLR is hefty enough that I won't make the same mistake I made with the Oly!

Interesting question, I'm impressed by how few people have dropped their cameras.

Julie
09-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dropped my first K1000 onto cement once denting the film door slightly.
I dropped my first ZX-50 into a lake once. Well once was all it took. It was submerged just long enough for it to rest in 8 inches of water for about 4 seconds.
I do hope to be over cautious and never drop my first K10 though.
09-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #34
Veteran Member

So far, So good! Haven't dropped a camera yet.
Some may call it uncool or whatever, but the strap goes round the neck first for me.
Once, though, had may USB cable attached to camera and the Computer tower. Stood up from chair, caught cable and ripped it out of the camera. Camera had to go in for cable port repair.
Ever since have only used a card reader.

09-28-2008, 05:19 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I dropped my Zeiss Ikon Tenax Model 1 about 62 years ago.
As far as I know it still resides at the bottom of Lake Simcoe.
As usual, I learned my lesson the hard way and have never dropped one since.

Mickey
09-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I haven't dropped the camera but it has tumbled out of an open bag a couple of times due to being distracted when lifting up the kit. Only a couple of feet both times and no damage done. I have also tripped holding the camera but have landed camera high so grazes to elbow and wrist but camera did not touch the ground.
09-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I've dropped it and caught it by the strap on the way down.

Voted "once", but fortunately it never hit the ground. I've been more careful since that heart attack inducing moment when I watched it drop.

09-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #38

I dropped my MZ-5 once...I had it mounted on a tripod with a FA 28-105 and it fell lens first into the concrete ground. It was windy. The lens (the actual glass part) was not damaged, but the plastic barrel was broken. The lens still works perfectly, the power zoom operates and it still feels like a solid lens, despite the huge crack on the plastic.

My K20D...not yet! hopefully never!!!
09-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #39
Veteran Member

i dropped my K100D twice, and had it soaked by a bottle of water once

i dropped my K20D once

i have never dropped my Super Program
10-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

also never-fortunately

everything else - yes!

d
10-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Fortunately, I haven't dropped my K100D so far. I use the strap around my neck but support the lens with one of my hands when I walk around. I don't like it to dangle around and potentially receive scratches from shirt buttons. Yeah, that's a bit crazy but I don't mind.

Here's another hazard and it actually happened to a forum member (I think it was a "she" but I cannot remember exactly where I read it): If you connect the camera with a USB cable to your laptop and then -- after a while -- pick up the laptop you can pull the camera from the table. Bad call.

I do use the USB cable since then the transfer is much faster than with my stupid little SD-USB adapter but since I read this story, I always treat it as a potential risk situation.
10-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #42
Veteran Member

As I have experienced, several times, lens caps are another thing altogether.
I have lost 3 or 4, rolled into a river of a bridge, off the rocks into the sea, and last week dropped rolled and rolled till it fell into a crack between to huge concrete slabs, totally irretrivevable.
Frustrating.
10-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by Scottnorwo Quote
Thank God never for me. But the cell phone is another story
Been through about ten cell phones... Worst one was when my phone case hit the handicap bar in the toilet, (I was in a hurry), and the phone popped out and landed you know where.... I have never dropped a camera, knock on wood. I have dropped my tri-pod and dinged up my manfrotto joystick.
10-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by marlon Quote
Never, fortunately, touch wood.
I use the strap ALWAYS, even when mounting it on a tripod, then i take it off. Having the strap around your neck when it's on the tripod is another shitstorm waiting for a zone to happen on.
I've never dropped my camera but I do have a story about my tripod.

I was doing a shoot and I had my tripod for some reason (I usually never bring it for a shoot unless I know that I'm going to need it as I tend to forget it) anyway....I had the camera 'round my neck and I was shooting off the tripod and someone called my name so I turned around quickly and managed to whack myself in the face with the camera and I bruised my shins and tripped myself with my tripod.

No damage to either my camera or tripod....myself on the other hand had to go to the hospital for a possible broken nose. It wasn't broken but it was VERY painful.

rule of thumb...take off the neck strap when shooting on a tripod

-Yale
10-17-2008, 01:12 PM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
If I participate in this poll, Murphy's law will kick in and tomorrow I will drop my camera.
That's exactly what I was thinking!