Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2018, 08:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
That may be the case.
And if that doesn't work, build a calibration tool and test at wide open to see if your lens needs a bit of an adjustment. You can see that the lens resolves in an amazing fashion, but focus is tough. I would also go manual focus if the flower is not shaking in the breeze for a Macro like this. Maybe even a tripod.

07-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The intended point of focus was the tip of the bud. EXIF indicates that centerpoint (spot) focus with AF-S(focus priority) was being used. There seems to be some confusion in the EXIF in that core tags say a D FA 100/2.8 Macro was being used while the makernotes say a DA 21/3.2 Limited was mounted and other parts say unknown lens with a focal length of 18mm with maximum aperture f/3.4 and MFD of 2.0 meters. Best to not lean too hard on the EXIF, though it does indicate no AF points in focus (back button focus?).

I have two macro lenses. One is 50mm and the other 100mm. I can hand-hold the 50 for close focus, but not the 100 due to me swaying while doing focus-recompose with center-point. DOF is simply too thin at moderate distances and I am not steady. For whatever reason, the camera recorded no AF points in focus. I would suggest that as the answer.

As for MFD...that would be 1:1 assuming the D FA 100/2.8 and I sincerely doubt that was the case.

Steve
Hi Steve,

LOL, I see what you mean here is the DNG maker notes for that JPEG smc PENTAX-D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR. I'm not sure where that other lens info got inserted may have been from DXO or possibly Zoner ZPS-X but its definitely a D FA 100. I use back button focus and the K-3 has been documented as not recording the point in focus with the back button activated.

This wasn't a recompose it was a crop with the center relocated a little to the left for effect. No I was well outside MFD with this shot.

The EXIF errors are coming from Zoner ZPS-X after I save a merge when water marking??
07-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
And if that doesn't work, build a calibration tool and test at wide open to see if your lens needs a bit of an adjustment. You can see that the lens resolves in an amazing fashion, but focus is tough. I would also go manual focus if the flower is not shaking in the breeze for a Macro like this. Maybe even a tripod.
It was a quick set of shots hand held. The Focus Red Dot may be off just a bit?
07-02-2018, 09:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

It was a quick set of shots hand held. The Focus Red Dot may be off just a bit?
The actual focus point is probably larger than the red box, and for viewfinder usage the AF module looks for contrasting lines. Like the black and white pie sections on the focus chart. (I learned that info here in the forums from Clackers.)
I have been looking for hard visible edges near the focal plane I want for the shot. You can also stop down some more for more DOF but I think your lens resolves best at 5.6 or f 8. ( I was reading MTF charts last night.)

07-02-2018, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I use back button focus and the K-3 has been documented as not recording the point in focus with the back button activated.
Back-button Edit: Setting AF button => AF2 defeats AF-S (focus priority) in that shutter release will be possible even if no points are in focus. If hand held at 100mm and fairly close it doesn't take much to move beyond available near DOF. I would do some controlled testing on-tripod with a high contrast B&W target before assuming there is a problem with focus calibration.

Steve

(...uses full manual technique for flower photos...am soooo persnickety...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-03-2018 at 01:26 PM. Reason: To more completely explain what was meant by "defeats"
07-03-2018, 07:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Back-button defeats AF-S (focus priority).
I did not know this since I have been too lazy to set up and try back button focusing. I learned something new here again today, and it is a useful fact. This place rocks!
07-03-2018, 07:33 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Back-button defeats AF-S (focus priority).
I did not know this since I have been too lazy to set up and try back button focusing. I learned something new here again today, and it is a useful fact. This place rocks!
Yikes! It occurred to me that I was going on memory on this point. Backbutton behavior changed with the K-3 and there was considerable consternation at the changes. IIRC, one of those changes was the removal of the lockout mechanism or something to that effect. Power users of backbutton focus on both the K-5 and K-3 will likely know the details. I will have to actually test what I wrote and if wrong will publicly grovel.

Steve

(...been groveling a lot lately...)

07-03-2018, 07:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Yikes! It occurred to me that I was going on memory on this point. Backbutton behavior changed with the K-3 and there was considerable consternation at the changes. IIRC, one of those changes was the removal of the lockout mechanism. I will have to actually test what I wrote and if wrong will publicly grovel.

Steve
No need for groveling since no ones memory is perfect. Mine was but I misremembered.
07-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

No need for groveling since no ones memory is perfect. Mine was but I misremembered.
Thankfully, no groveling is indicated today! This is what I found for my K-3 (firmware v1.30) when set to...
menu => Rec Mode 4 => Button Customization => AF Button => AF2
  • Shutter release will happen when not focused despite being set to AF-S (focus priority)
  • When focus is confirmed (green hexagon), the point in focus will be reported in the EXIF
Of course, YMMV with other cameras and/or firmware version

Steve
07-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #25
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Back-button defeats AF-S (focus priority). If hand held at 100mm and fairly close it doesn't take much to move beyond available near DOF. I would do some controlled testing on-tripod with a high contrast B&W target before assuming there is a problem with focus calibration.

Steve

(...uses full manual technique for flower photos...am soooo persnickety...)
Not according to Exiftool:
>exiftool -G _CBM1546.DNG | find /i "focus"
[MakerNotes] Focus Mode : AF-S (Focus-priority)
[MakerNotes] AF Points In Focus : Center
[MakerNotes] Min Focus Distance : 0.28-0.30 m
[MakerNotes] Focus Range Index : 6 (far)

>exiftool -G _CBM1532.DNG | find /i "focus"
[MakerNotes] Focus Mode : AF-C (Focus-priority)
[MakerNotes] Focus Range Index : 7 (very far)

>exiftool -G _CBM1528.DNG | find /i "focus"
[MakerNotes] AF Points In Focus : Near-right

I decoupled auto-focus from the shutter button upon purchase of my K-3II in 2016. I have never used the shutter button for focus on this body.
07-03-2018, 01:22 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote

I decoupled auto-focus from the shutter button upon purchase of my K-3II in 2016. I have never used the shutter button for focus on this body.
My findings from doing the check in-camera...

Thankfully, no groveling is indicated today! This is what I found for my K-3 (firmware v1.30) when set to...
  • Shutter release will happen when not focused despite being set to AF-S (focus priority)
  • When focus is confirmed (green hexagon), the point in focus will be reported in the EXIF
I guess I don't follow. I may have used the word "defeats" a little loosely, but the interlock aspect of AF-S (focus-priority) is well established and the disappearance of this behavior with a change of the AF button setting a little surprising when it came to light. A review:
  • AF-S (focus-priority) with AF button provides for no exposure unless there is an AF point in focus
  • AF-S (release-priority) allows shutter release regardless of whether any AF point is in focus
  • There is similar options to the first two points available for AF-C first frame
  • AF button => AF1 provides focus with either shutter button press/half-press or AF button
  • AF button => AF2 provides focus with AF button but never with shutter button press/half press
There is an undocumented side effect (a logic hole if you would) that allows exposure with no AF points in focus despite being set to AF-S (focus-priority). That is what was meant by saying that backbutton focus defeats AF-S (focus-priority). I should have been more explicit by writing something similar to "exclusive backbutton AF" or maybe "AF button set to AF2 defeats shutter release lockout". In either case, this is a fairly realistic possibility for the missed focus on the OP's photo. There are problems with the EXIF on that shot, but it appears to show shutter release where no AF point was in focus.

It was also stated that the K-3 has been reported to not register whether points are in focus if AF button => AF2. I found that to not be the case with my camera and firmware, though behavior may be different with other models and firmware version. Things might be different for both points on the K-3II.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-03-2018 at 01:31 PM.
07-03-2018, 01:46 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK here are two from today......first AF fine tune +-0 same as yesterday

For EXIF data click on the photo to go to Flickr

Focus Test 1
by Larry Mc, on Flickr
07-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Second AF fine tune +9

Both Processed in DXO PhotoLab with default settings no sharpening, both shots tripod mounted slightly windy conditions, focus point on both is the stamen in the upper part of the blossom. Focus distance 30 in.

Focus Test 2
by Larry Mc, on Flickr
07-03-2018, 01:56 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote

Have you tried any shots in AF-S? In AF-C my K-3 will definitely show the point in focus but not in AF-S. Oops I missed that first entry. What firmware edition are you using?
07-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Steve
What firmware are you using, Steve? With F/W 1.30 I get the green and the beep but still no EXIF report of point in focus while using the center spot point. Woops I see you have 1.30 as the Firmware 1.30.

Last edited by Larrymc; 07-03-2018 at 03:56 PM.