Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2018, 07:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Need a little help with this photo!!

Thie focus puzzles me on this photo, the target was the stamen area of this flower and it is out of focus yet both in front of the target and behind the target are in focus. I need some opinions on this. For lens particulars and EXIF info click on the photo and go to Flickr. This is cropped so the target appears off center in the cropped image.

07-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But the focus is pretty good on the insect eggs!
07-02-2018, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery
Hi Larry,

Were you using single point focus or auto-area focus. It looks like the camera focused on the petals instead of the stamen. Did you take more that one shot of this flower? Did the same thing happen?
Dave
07-02-2018, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It appears to me as though the flower is leaning towards you, making the stamen the closest point of the flower. Which would explain why it appears the way it does. If you focused on that part of the flower, I’d check the lens for back focus issues.

07-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
But the focus is pretty good on the insect eggs!
Thanks Mike but that wasn't the target. I'm thinking it may be a back focus and the petals are actually further back than they appear??
07-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by R. Wethereyet Quote
Hi Larry,

Were you using single point focus or auto-area focus. It looks like the camera focused on the petals instead of the stamen. Did you take more that one shot of this flower? Did the same thing happen?
Dave
Dave if you ckick the image and go to Flickr the full EXIF data can be accessed. I did this hand held and several frames were pretty much the same.

Larry
07-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Thanks Mike but that wasn't the target. I'm thinking it may be a back focus and the petals are actually further back than they appear??
Yes, I know but I got excited about the unintentional capture. Hope you can fix the back focus.

07-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
It appears to me as though the flower is leaning towards you, making the stamen the closest point of the flower. Which would explain why it appears the way it does. If you focused on that part of the flower, I’d check the lens for back focus issues.
Thanks Tony,

I'm thinking it is back focused too and possibly the stamen were just inside the minimum focus distance. I was at f7.1. Well thats out the MFD is 5.11 in and i was well outside of that??

Last edited by Larrymc; 07-02-2018 at 07:34 PM.
07-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try some shots in live view, and see if you get what you expect. Front/back focus shouldn't be an issue in that mode since it's using contrast detection instead of phase detection.
07-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #10
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Larry
In the excitenent where you just to close so inside mfd or the lens ?

Dave

ps I am guilty of such things
07-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If the actual, (not indicated by the red box) focus point was on the edge of the petals it would get this effect. I have it happen with dragonflies since they are only high contrast in certain areas so need to move the actual focus point a bit and try again.
07-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Try some shots in live view, and see if you get what you expect. Front/back focus shouldn't be an issue in that mode since it's using contrast detection instead of phase detection.
Thanks David, I'll give that a try tomorrow set up on my tripod.
07-02-2018, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The intended point of focus was the tip of the bud. EXIF indicates that centerpoint (spot) focus with AF-S(focus priority) was being used. There seems to be some confusion in the EXIF in that core tags say a D FA 100/2.8 Macro was being used while the makernotes say a DA 21/3.2 Limited was mounted and other parts say unknown lens with a focal length of 18mm with maximum aperture f/3.4 and MFD of 2.0 meters. Best to not lean too hard on the EXIF, though it does indicate no AF points in focus (back button focus?).

I have two macro lenses. One is 50mm and the other 100mm. I can hand-hold the 50 for close focus, but not the 100 due to me swaying while doing focus-recompose with center-point. DOF is simply too thin at moderate distances and I am not steady. For whatever reason, the camera recorded no AF points in focus. I would suggest that as the answer.

As for MFD...that would be 1:1 assuming the D FA 100/2.8 and I sincerely doubt that was the case.

Steve
07-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Larry
In the excitenent where you just to close so inside mfd or the lens ?

Dave

ps I am guilty of such things
I was well outside the MFD which is a bit over 5 inches.
07-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
If the actual, (not indicated by the red box) focus point was on the edge of the petals it would get this effect. I have it happen with dragonflies since they are only high contrast in certain areas so need to move the actual focus point a bit and try again.
That may be the case.