Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Asynchronous communications are fraught with misunderstandings.
Nicely put!

07-14-2018, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
. . . Carry your walk around gear in a nondescript bag or backpack to avoid being a target. . . .

I know of no way to carry camera gear ( especially if using it ) and be able to conceal that fact: bags, waist bags and back packs attract attention

the procedure I try to follow is:

1 be aware of your surroundings at all times,

- there are places in any locale that you should not be

- avoid them at all costs

2 be aware of what is important

-your health and safety

- the health and safety of your spouse and family

[ although out of shape, I am not a small person and I always hope for a confrontation as opposed to a blow ]

3 be prepared to give up any of your possessions if confronted and never chase: you have no idea what the thief might have or whether a thief has a team

- any of your camera gear can be replaced and it is insured ( isn't it )

4 a group is better than alone when safety is a concern

5 plan in advance what you intend on doing if some thing does happen
07-14-2018, 09:02 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I know of no way to carry camera gear ... and be able to conceal that fact
It's pretty simple and more practical too. I use various bags from messenger type to small backpacks, depending on my travel needs. Domke wraps and lens pouches protect my gear. I prefer to avoid being a high value target in the first place by blending in with many other bag carrying travelers than to be the one with the logo emblazoned bag screaming, "$$$$ CAMERA GEAR." I find it more practical too because I can fit other normal travel things like water, rain poncho, jacket, maps, etc. Also, I pick a bag that I can use as a personal bag for air travel. For that, I swap out the camera gear for headphones, tablet, travel pillow, etc. The camera gear goes into my hard sided carry on.
07-14-2018, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
It's pretty simple and more practical too. I use various bags from messenger type to small backpacks, depending on my travel needs. Domke wraps and lens pouches protect my gear. I prefer to avoid being a high value target in the first place by blending in with many other bag carrying travelers than to be the one with the logo emblazoned bag screaming, "$$$$ CAMERA GEAR." I find it more practical too because I can fit other normal travel things like water, rain poncho, jacket, maps, etc. Also, I pick a bag that I can use as a personal bag for air travel. For that, I swap out the camera gear for headphones, tablet, travel pillow, etc. The camera gear goes into my hard sided carry on.
I wasn't thinking of bags which are " free advertising " bearing the names of camera companies

To me a bag/back pack indicates there could be something valuable

Just my thoughts

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-14-2018 at 10:38 AM.
07-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #35
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwomersley Quote
Travel Photography tips
Always travel with US Dollars, accepted absolutely everywhere, except the odd wee place that have have had a war with them at some point, otherwise your good to go

Also Gold works too, but a bit heavy to carry aboot with you.
07-15-2018, 11:11 AM   #36
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Always travel with US Dollars, accepted absolutely everywhere, except the odd wee place that have have had a war with them at some point, otherwise your good to go

Also Gold works too, but a bit heavy to carry aboot with you.
when we went over seas we were advised to carry only US currency with the large portraits of the US Presidents since the older bills might be refused due to counterfeiting concerns

we also was advised to check with our credit card companies and confirm whether or not they added charges if the credit card was used outside of the US and to give them the details of the travel in case they put a stop on the card since it was being used overseas.
07-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #37
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

to give them the details of the travel in case they put a stop on the card since it was being used overseas.
Here they advise your not tell them of travel arrangements (folk were getting burglarised while they were away and it was tracked back to credit card company held info), they will call you on you mobile/cell if they're at all concerned.
07-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Here they advise your not tell them of travel arrangements (folk were getting burglarised while they were away and it was tracked back to credit card company held info), they will call you on you mobile/cell if they're at all concerned.
that assumes you are where the cell system can reach your phone

maybe your company does that, despite my repeated instructions they call my home number, not my cell

not a lot of help there

07-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #39
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

I seem to get pretty good coverage worldwide now with my equipment, areas of deepest jungle where signals are sometimes questionable... so is the ability to using cards for spending there too.

maybe your company does that, despite my repeated instructions they call my home number, not my cell not a lot of help there
Sounds like time to change your card provider.
07-15-2018, 12:07 PM   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I seem to get pretty good coverage worldwide now with my equipment, areas of deepest jungle where signals are sometimes questionable... so is the ability to using cards for spending there too.

Sounds like time to change your card provider.
but they offer benefits I like and I travel overseas very rarely
07-15-2018, 12:10 PM   #41
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

but they offer benefits I like and I travel overseas very rarely
Aye... it's always a balancing act with these kinda folk.
07-16-2018, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
+1 I always have some US currency, but not as much as in the past. ATMs are everywhere: it's easy to get local currency and avoid the vendor "rounding up" on conversion. I recently changed to a Capital One credit and debit cards for the free exchange/ATM and no pre travel notification requirement due to chips in cards. Other cards offer this as well, so it pays to check.
08-22-2018, 03:42 AM   #43

I typically take my camera and two zoom lens (18-55 and 50-200) with me on vacation.
Last time we went away, my camera body was in for repair. I ended up taking my waterproof P&S and am 100 percent happy with the results.
Enjoy your wedding and honeymoon!
08-22-2018, 08:17 AM   #44
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

maybe your company does that, despite my repeated instructions they call my home number, not my cell

not a lot of help there
I suggest that you do one of two things.
Change your default number to your cell and get rid of the land line.
Get a new bank/card company. Take only one or two (at a maximum) cards with you leave everything else locked up at home.

As for getting burgled, I have been hit twice but never while on vacation. I always set up my son, getting to be an old man, as the first contact for the alarm company while out of the country. I buy the monthly deal with my cell phone (sorry) mobile that allows for phone calls and texting while out of country. I use free Wi-Fi for the data portion of required communication. I have bought new SIMs but that changes your mobile number and really screws up people trying to text/call you, plus the SIMs I have purchased only worked in the countries that I bought them in. But really, there is no reason to be all that paranoid, carrying your camera stuff around is not as scary as it is being made out to be in this thread. Carry the minimum you need and leave the big stuff home.