Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2018, 04:53 AM   #1

Travel Photography tips

Hello!

I am going to Riviera Maya in Mexico next April with my fiancée / wife (we are getting married there!) and I'm trying to learn how to make the most of my time there and get some really good photos. I've always taken lots of photos on holiday and I would even say that a few are very good, but the vast majority of them are quite standard "look at this nice beach/town square/animal" sort of photos.

We will be there for 3 weeks but due to the cost of everything I will be in the hotel for all but a few days. The hotel is Grand Palladium Colonial Resort and whilst in Mexico we will be going on trips to: Coba, Izamal and Merida. We are doing a couple more trips as well but I doubt I will use my camera much as they are pretty full on - ziplines, snorkelling and cliff diving!

I'm only mentioning the hotel and the trips we are doing in case anyone who reads this has actually been to those places themselves and has any location-specific pointers

The biggest concern for me is how I can go on day trips to places I have never been and still be able to take creative and unique photos. On these sorts of trips there's usually the unmentioned protocol of keeping up with the rest of the group and obviously whilst taking photos I also want to be able to listen to our tour guide and enjoy the surroundings.

I will be taking my K-3II, AF201 FG, 16-85mm, 55-300mm, 100mm macro lens (all Pentax) and a circular polarising filter.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Sam

07-11-2018, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haven't been to any of those places, so this is general advice.

Bear in mind the adage from Minor White:

QuoteQuote:
One should not only photograph things for what they are but for what else they are.
That, in a nutshell, is how you avoid what you aptly describe as "look at this [thing]" shots. Look for shapes, patterns, contrasts, juxtapositions. Zoom in, look for details. Look at photos you like, your own work and other's, and think about why you like it. Assign yourself a project: a particular subject (something non-obvious), pattern, shape, or technique, and work on that for a while. Don't always be photographing: spend non-camera time with the group; devote other times to photography (especially early mornings and evenings when the light tends to be more interesting).

Above all, enjoy the trip!
07-11-2018, 05:25 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Haven't been to any of those places, so this is general advice.

Bear in mind the adage from Minor White:

That, in a nutshell, is how you avoid what you aptly describe as "look at this [thing]" shots. Look for shapes, patterns, contrasts, juxtapositions. Zoom in, look for details. Look at photos you like, your own work and other's, and think about why you like it. Assign yourself a project: a particular subject (something non-obvious), pattern, shape, or technique, and work on that for a while. Don't always be photographing: spend non-camera time with the group; devote other times to photography (especially early mornings and evenings when the light tends to be more interesting).

Above all, enjoy the trip!
welcome to the forum and congrats on the upcoming marriage

remember that number 1 you are on your honeymoon

make sure your spouse to be is ok with you and the time you will be concentrating on photography

Communicate and Compromise are two keys to a good marriage

if that is taken care of

think about the " story " you want to tell about your trip and try to preplan what you might expect to see and want to photograph

what does your spouse to be want to have photographed ??

find out as much information about where you will be as you can

lots of info might be available on the web

consider either a back up DSLR or a good point and shoot, just in case

back up your data, if you have a battery grip, bring the AA tray along with extra batteries and memory cards

will your spouse to be also be taking photos?

have fun, photography may not be all that important on this trip
07-11-2018, 05:59 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Take less gear and enjoy the honeymoon. I would just take a small camera and leave the DSLR at home. If you can't do that then just take the kit lens.

Have a great trip!

07-11-2018, 06:54 AM - 5 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fifty-two years of marriage grants me, not a right or a privilege, but rather a degree of perspicacity which allows for some opining and observation.

When you are going on your honeymoon and your thoughts are focused on your camera equipment, you need to take a step or two away from your hobby - you are too invested in it.

Trust me son, you will have plenty to keep you busy on your celebratory trip. Just have your smartphone with you and take lots of photos of your bride. All will be well.
07-11-2018, 07:19 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Fifty-two years of marriage grants me, not a right or a privilege, but rather a degree of perspicacity which allows for some opining and observation.

When you are going on your honeymoon and your thoughts are focused on your camera equipment, you need to take a step or two away from your hobby - you are too invested in it.

Trust me son, you will have plenty to keep you busy on your celebratory trip. Just have your smartphone with you and take lots of photos of your bride. All will be well.
Not knowing the couple - I tend to the same advice as the above. If not the smartphone then a compact enthusiast camera. Something that doesn't require lens changes and fits in a pocket. Given the cool activities you might consider a waterproof camera like the Pentax WG series or the Olympus series. In any case, photography can be done with minimal gear - and a honeymoon is a once in a lifetime event. Take a few "here we are at XYZ" shots and don't fret the art. If you get some cool shots beyond the obligatory ones - great! If not, happy wife and great memories trumps great photos.
07-11-2018, 07:25 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

what the last 3 posters said

07-11-2018, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this, especially the marriage based ones!

I should have mentioned in my original post that of course I intend on spending most of the time with my fiancée / wife - having re-read the post it does come across like I intend on abandoning her for hours on end! About 15 people are coming to Mexico with us and will be staying for various lengths of time during our first 2 weeks there so we will both be busy with family and friends, we have planned it so we will be left alone for a whole week at the end so we can just relax and enjoy the honeymoon together
07-11-2018, 07:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
^^ what they said. I would just get something like a Lumix TS7 and have fun.
07-11-2018, 08:01 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwomersley Quote
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this, especially the marriage based ones!

I should have mentioned in my original post that of course I intend on spending most of the time with my fiancée / wife - having re-read the post it does come across like I intend on abandoning her for hours on end! About 15 people are coming to Mexico with us and will be staying for various lengths of time during our first 2 weeks there so we will both be busy with family and friends, we have planned it so we will be left alone for a whole week at the end so we can just relax and enjoy the honeymoon together
Ah! With the understanding that the newly wed wife is onboard with the plan then I still stick to my suggestion. I took a trip a little over two years ago with my family to London and Paris for 2 weeks. I did not take a DSLR. I correctly assumed that with my 2 kids (then 12 and 16) and my wife and my father in law and brother in law (who is mentally disabled) along - the amount of time I would have for photos would be restricted. I elected to buy and carry a small high end point and shoot - a Panasonic LX-7. This gave me 24-90 or so equivalent focal length range in a package I could pocket or wear on a small belt pouch. I took a lot of pictures some of which I really liked. But the speed of handling the gear and the unobtrusiveness of the gear was worth it!
07-11-2018, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

consider what you expect to photograph

can you get hold of a SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS or SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited

either would make your K 3 + lens a lot smaller

do you need the reach of the 55-300

how about the macro

the 16-85 is a great lens but not exactly small or light weight

Diam x Length 78 x 94 mm (3.1 x 3.7 in.)
Weight 488 g (16.07 oz.)

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
07-11-2018, 08:24 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now that the gear discussion is out of the way (for me at least) whatever you take should be fine. Assuming you want different shots - try looking at the opportunities to take photos from a different angle. Look for the weird quirky things not the things everyone looks at. I took these shots while in Europe which I doubt most typical tourists would have taken:

Mind you - I'm not saying these win prizes on originality. I'm just saying they are a step apart from the traditional shots I see from these places. Take the time to view the world around you and capture anything that seems appealing and you'll come home with some that are uniquely yours. ( I have not posted pics of the family but there were many of those taken too which are great for reflection. The edifice of a site with your loved ones in it is more appealing to you than the world but it is priceless. )
07-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I think you'll be pretty covered with your 16-85mm, there's not really much time to think it through in a family trip, but you can always make good quick photos, relax, enjoy, have fun! don't take too much time behind the camera and share experiences with your beloved ones.

Later, when you come back you can spend more time developing, cropping, adding some magic to your random trip photos.

Good luck!

ps. you can train your eye to capture meaningful photos for you even quickly; studying photography or art in general, reading, practicing.
07-11-2018, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwomersley Quote
we are getting married there!
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
remember that number 1 you are on your honeymoon
Aye... stand aside laddie, there is more that needs attended to on this day.
07-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye... stand aside laddie, there is more that needs attended to on this day.
Well said... LOL.