Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Who's afraid of spiders?

If you are, don't look at my next post...

09-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Why is this posted here?
09-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
placate gary!

Because I am going to share how to get really top quality 2:1 macro in the cheap m8!

give me five minutes to get the pics converted

(calm down dear, it's only a forum)
09-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
Here we go..

Ok,

I have figured out a really cheap and effective true macro, with no need for ring flash or any other expensive kit..

(more than 1:1, as comparison shots with my Sigma 1:1 50mm are far smaller per subject. Not sure if 2:1 but close)

50mm Pentax A f1.7...about £50 ebay

48mm of extension rings...No more as focus not possible if extension rings add up to more than the FL of the lens, no less as you wont get true macro (less than 1:1 with 32mm extension etc.) more on length later. Extension rings cost approx £20 on ebay

On board flash!!! honest!

ISO 320

F16 or F11 (F16 for more depth, F11 gives astonishing exposure, almost no PP needed, except normal RAW sharpening)

180th Shutter

The length of the lens set up is not long enough to occlude the on-board flash, which is great.

These settings have not given me a bad exposure yet!

I know that using rings is basic and well known by most people, but nobody I have talked to has believed the on board flash can be used like this.

I use a K10D, has anyone tried with DS/K110/100/200? Please let me know

Dave

PS, hope they are sharp, the forum's compression always wreaks havoc with my posts, any tips on how upload? other peoples seem really sharp sometimes, thx.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
09-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by davebris33 Quote

(calm down dear, it's only a forum)
Are you gay? because I'm not, some of my best friends are and they are allowed to call me dear as are my family.
Please refrain from using familiarities until we know each other better.
I asked the question, which I think was valid, because, on the face of it, your thread seemed to bear no relevance to the forum in which it was posted.
09-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Have they lost something in being downloaded here and did you use a diffuser of any kind? There is a lot of detail there but it's hard to see the subject as a whole if you get my drift.
The first one looks best to me, the second one looks blurry on the left hand side and maybe there is too much reflection off the carapace of the fly. the third one looks over exposed, I turned the brightness down on my screen and it started to look better.
I think the problem with the OB flash is that any reflection is going to bounce straight back at the lens. What about a ping pong ball or a film canister as a diffuser, have you tried that?
I think another problem might, as I have found out myself, you can get too close to some subjects. Your method seems like it might be hovering in a 'no man's land' between macro and micro. What about trying it out on a different subject matter?
09-15-2008, 07:34 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Are you gay? because I'm not, some of my best friends are and they are allowed to call me dear as are my family.
Please refrain from using familiarities until we know each other better.
I asked the question, which I think was valid, because, on the face of it, your thread seemed to bear no relevance to the forum in which it was posted.
it's from an advert m8, thought you'd get the reference being a brit and all.

and as for those sunglasses, u sure u ain't gay?

09-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #8

Original Poster
Have they lost something in being downloaded here and did you use a diffuser of any kind? There is a lot of detail there but it's hard to see the subject as a whole if you get my drift.
The first one looks best to me, the second one looks blurry on the left hand side and maybe there is too much reflection off the carapace of the fly. the third one looks over exposed, I turned the brightness down on my screen and it started to look better.
I think the problem with the OB flash is that any reflection is going to bounce straight back at the lens. What about a ping pong ball or a film canister as a diffuser, have you tried that?
I think another problem might, as I have found out myself, you can get too close to some subjects. Your method seems like it might be hovering in a 'no man's land' between macro and micro. What about trying it out on a different subject matter?
all the histograms are pretty centred and not clipped when viewed in aperture, and yes unfortunately posting here has lost some detail, but that's just life I suppose
09-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #9

Original Poster
well it's a general photography thread, and I was posting about cheap macro alternatives, sorry if u can't see the relevance in that..

General Pentax Photography
Discuss the fundamentals of photography, Pentax camera modes, infrared and macro shooting, and related topics here!
09-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
Damn Brit

it's from an advert m8, thought you'd get the reference being a brit and all.

and as for those sunglasses, u sure u ain't gay?
If the advert was in the last six years i wouldn't have seen it.

I'm sure, are you? Sunglasses are required in the desert.
09-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #11
Damn Brit

well it's a general photography thread, and I was posting about cheap macro alternatives, sorry if u can't see the relevance in that..

General Pentax Photography
Discuss the fundamentals of photography, Pentax camera modes, infrared and macro shooting, and related topics here!
Not in the first post, if you had started out with the pictures instead of being a drama queen it would have been apparent.

"Who's afraid of spiders?
If you are, don't look at my next post..."

Is this code for cheap macro alternative?
Maybe if I was psychic.
09-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well Dave... I have to agree with Gary.

I have been a member of a number of forums and operated and moded another. I know the work that goes into making a forum and trying to have areas for specific topics to make surfing, searching, replying, learning etc much easier or in a nutshell user friendly

Bottom line without raving on is that if I open a lens discussion thread then thats what I am hoping to read and view posts on.

Some people actually hijack this sites catergories to either gain attention or they do so in plain ignorance of the efforts made to construct this forum by the site admin.

In regards to photo quality I do recommend the use of sites such as flickr and smugmug and use the URL reference method.

Neil
09-15-2008, 08:31 PM   #13

Original Poster
I honestly think this is out of hand and proportion, as I was just posting in a light hearted way, something which is in my humble opinion, quite an interesting way to get small aperture macro on a budget.

I have heard nothing positive, only hectoring, pedantic and really nit picking little asides.

Being criticized is part of my every day professional life, and generally I have no problem with it...
But please, if you have nothing good to say what so ever about some ones' work, make sure that your work is technically without flaw, because I am not the only person here who posts soft jpegs, and it's not great to throw stones in glass houses. Especially if that glass house has been built upon a certain waterfront, stunningly captured in a posted night scene shot, which is completely OOF.

It seems that to post on here is only acceptable if you are either being critical of other photographers or of Pentax, as the rumour threads just seem stale and full of doom!

Instead of posting thousands of posts in a few months, maybe people should go out and shoot, and then not have to get so wound up about the little things!

You know, enjoy yourself.

And yes I do appreciate the work gone into the forum, I just don't think that it's sacrilage to enjoy it, surely thats the point.
09-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #14
Damn Brit

Would you like some tissues?

I asked a reasonable question at the start of your obscure titled thread with an equally obscure post and you decided that you were being attacked.
I tried to keep it reasonable and offered constructive criticism. I even told you I had made similar mistakes and I even suggested you try a different subject matter.
But you weren't interested were you, you decided you just had to defend yourself from an attack that was only in your mind, do you suffer from paranoia? If you do, see a shrink because I don't take shit from anyone except my wife.
Let's be honest, the pictures aren't very good are they? When you did post your pictures you offered quality macros, but didn't post any. There's a reason macros are expensive you know. Your extension rings will work for some stuff but not for what you attempted.
And if you do appreciate the work that goes into this forum, how about a contribution? Put your money where your mouth is.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 09-15-2008 at 09:17 PM.
09-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #15
Forum Member

Would you like some tissues?
wow... you're clever.
Closed Thread