Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2019, 11:36 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would find room for the 70-200 personally, the 55-300 and 50 seem to be much better covered with the higher quality telephotos. Your 16-85 covers most walk around/ lodge type shots, when you're bouncing around in the back of the safari vehicles , changing lenses is a pain. the 70-200 on one body and the 150-450 on the other with the option of the DA 1.4x with either lens should get you lots of keeper photos. When I look at my safari shots they all tend towards the long end. Just my thoughts, have fun.

02-09-2019, 04:13 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
I would find room for the 70-200 personally, the 55-300 and 50 seem to be much better covered with the higher quality telephotos. Your 16-85 covers most walk around/ lodge type shots, when you're bouncing around in the back of the safari vehicles , changing lenses is a pain. the 70-200 on one body and the 150-450 on the other with the option of the DA 1.4x with either lens should get you lots of keeper photos. When I look at my safari shots they all tend towards the long end. Just my thoughts, have fun.
thanks for the thoughtful comments and I know you are correct with what you advise.

". . . find room for the 70-200 . . . "

the D FA 70-200mm F2.8 is the better lens but the weight and size is the issue

I hate to leave it at home but if I take it, then I would have to shift to a larger backpack.

right now, I have the two camera bodies and lenses squeezed into a Lowepro Flipside 300 AW II 400 AW
I have a Ruggard Thunderhead 75 DSLR & Laptop Backpack but my first flight from Kansas City Mo. to O'Hare [ Chicago Il ] may be on a smaller plane with little overhead room and I don't want to have to check the camera back pack at the gate and have it go into the main cargo hold. [ same may be true for the final leg from O'Hare to Kansas City ]

the only reason to take the 55-300 is the time I would be walking and/or in the small boat. I figure the weight difference is the reason to take the PLM.

the reason to take the 50 is F 1.8 and it is small.

" . . .when you're bouncing around in the back of the safari vehicles , changing lenses is a pain . . . "

100 % correct on that

that is why one camera will have the " big guy " and the other the 16-85mm on it for the most part unless we are stopped so lenses can be exchanged quickly

lucky for us, in the Crater and the Serengeti, it will be a private vehicle with just my wife, myself and the guide

". . . When I look at my safari shots they all tend towards the long end. . . . "

as far as range, based on my vast experience

the single trip in 2016 to the Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti,

the encounters with the wildlife varied from a lion inches from vehicle to "pray and shoot " range - ( if you don't try to take the photo you know you won't have one )

- pp time when I got back home: yep I did get a shot of the leopard in the tree, wait a second, there's two in that tree

of course considering that the last trip I had a K 5 II and an old Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Tele-Macro [1:2] (Model 772D) as my only telephoto, I hope to get much better photos with my D FA 150-450mm and either the K 3 or K 3 II

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-10-2019 at 05:34 AM.
02-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm , I still don't feel the love for the 50-300, the small risk of having the 70-200 in your main luggage, seems worth it to me, the 70-200 is really that good. Now if you meet the lions just close to the vehicle, then close up tele shots at the 70mm end will have you and the audience going wow, is you want scenics, then change to the wider zoom. If you can go for a walk with the 70-200, I think you will have a lot more keepers than the 50-300, i'm sure if you cropped down the 70-200 the quality would still be better than the 50-300. Yep I really like that lens
02-10-2019, 04:02 AM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
this is why I start planning what to take so far ahead. And the " plan " is always subject to change

It helps me a lot to gather the opinion of other members so I am forced to review the plan.

and I shudder to think about have the * 70-200 in my checked luggage

the * 70-200 is certainly a very good lens I cannot disagree but it is substantially bigger and heavier to carry.

I have no idea what the terrain would be where I would be taking the walking safari or lake/river safari in Selous Game Reserve
where we will be in the last part of the trip. nor how much room I will have in the shared open safari vehicle we will be using there

those are my thoughts about why I even think about using the inferior HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE instead

if I look at my prime options instead, I go [ on the long end ] from the SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM down to the
SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8. the small one is manual focus only and neither would have the advantage of a zoom

HD Pentax-D FA *70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW

Diam x Length 91.5 x 203 mm (3.6 x 8 in.)
Weight 1755 g (61.9 oz.) w/ Hood: +80g w/ Tripod Foot: +191g
Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Reviews - D FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE

Diam x Length
76.5 x 89 mm (3.01 x 3.5 in.)
Weight 442 g (15.6 oz.)
Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM

Diam x Length 83 x 184 mm (3.3 x 7.2 in.)
Weight 1070 g (37.7 oz.) w/ Hood: +90g w/ Tripod Foot: +80g
Read more at: SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8 (Manual Focus only )
Diam x Length 65 x 77 mm
Weight 340 g
Read more at: SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

02-10-2019, 04:26 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
this is why I start planning what to take so far ahead. And the " plan " is always subject to change

It helps me a lot to gather the opinion of other members so I am forced to review the plan.

and I shudder to think about have the * 70-200 in my checked luggage

the * 70-200 is certainly a very good lens I cannot disagree but it is substantially bigger and heavier to carry.

I have no idea what the terrain would be where I would be taking the walking safari or lake/river safari in Selous Game Reserve
where we will be in the last part of the trip. nor how much room I will have in the shared open safari vehicle we will be using there

those are my thoughts about why I even think about using the inferior HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE instead

if I look at my prime options instead, I go [ on the long end ] from the SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM down to the
SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8. the small one is manual focus only and neither would have the advantage of a zoom

HD Pentax-D FA *70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW

Diam x Length 91.5 x 203 mm (3.6 x 8 in.)
Weight 1755 g (61.9 oz.) w/ Hood: +80g w/ Tripod Foot: +191g
Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Reviews - D FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Diam x Length
76.5 x 89 mm (3.01 x 3.5 in.)
Weight 442 g (15.6 oz.)
Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM

Diam x Length 83 x 184 mm (3.3 x 7.2 in.)
Weight 1070 g (37.7 oz.) w/ Hood: +90g w/ Tripod Foot: +80g
Read more at: SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8 (Manual Focus only )
Diam x Length 65 x 77 mm
Weight 340 g
Read more at: SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
From experience, the walking tours will have a guide with an AK47 keeping you safe, if he can carry the gun, you can carry a couple of lenses
The 300mm gives you nothing extra the DA 1.4 and 70-200 wouldn't cover or the 150-450 alone, so no on that one, the 135m is a lovely lens but again brings nothing extra to the party. You could perhaps put one of the bodies in your checked bag , that way one will get through and you can pack all your lenses!
Have fun planning, perhaps a dry run at a local zoo with your kit might give you an idea of your stamina with the kit
02-10-2019, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
From experience, the walking tours will have a guide with an AK47 keeping you safe, if he can carry the gun, you can carry a couple of lenses
The 300mm gives you nothing extra the DA 1.4 and 70-200 wouldn't cover or the 150-450 alone, so no on that one, the 135m is a lovely lens but again brings nothing extra to the party. You could perhaps put one of the bodies in your checked bag , that way one will get through and you can pack all your lenses!
Have fun planning, perhaps a dry run at a local zoo with your kit might give you an idea of your stamina with the kit
we are thinking along the same lines ( is that good )

the one open car night safari we took on our first and only trip so far did have an armed guard. I questioned whether an AK was enough to stop the larger animals and was told it was more to discourage poachers than large animals.

you are 100 % correct on the idea of experimenting and practice now. One of the reasons I volunteer as a docent at the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center is to do that. [ I also learned that they decided to use one of my photos for this year's solicitation of guests to join their non profit support group - Your latest acquisition - PentaxForums.com ]

decisions, decisions, decisions

[ at least I am lucky enough to own enough equipment that makes forces me to make decisions, often people don't have that opportunity ]

pulled, squeezed and tugged and have filled the main compartment of my Lowepro Flipside 400 with the following:

K 3 II, with battery grip + HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5 - 5.6 ED DC AW telephoto plus
SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro
Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 DC HSM
HD Pentax-DA 16 - 85mm F3.5-5.6 WR
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW
HD Pentax -DA AF rear converter 1.4 AW
with a little room left for batteries, SD cards etc.
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/lowepro-flipside-400.html#ixzz5f8DnSv6n

so I will have to put the K 3 plus a limited into a vest or jacket which I would wear onto the plane

my choices for that " front cap ":

SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-10-2019 at 05:56 AM.
02-15-2019, 08:40 AM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
now considering renting a K 1 [ including battery grip ] and taking it on the trip in place of either the K 3 or K 3 II

LensRentals.com told me today that they don't restrict where I can take their equipment but they recommend their best protection plan

without any special coupon, cost would be about $ 390 ( plus any applicable taxes ) for 18 day rental

thoughts and comments welcome

02-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would select:
Sigma 10~20mm
Pentax 16~85mm
Pentax 150~450mm if you can manage the weight
One of the two Pentax macros, probably the 100mm is a better choice - it's bulkier than the 35mm, but it's very light and the extra focus distance is really valuable.
The 1.4X is insignificant for bulk & weight, but you'd only be using it on the 150~450mm to get past 450mm (or maybe the 100mm macro for a very small, skittish subject), The combo does provide good performance @ 630mm, but only if you can hold it really steady and you'd be using it primarily for small birds.
The 1.4X + 300mm f4 would give IQ pretty close to the 450mm but you'd lose on versatility. The 150~450mm is likely to capture many more good images.

My experience on safari drives: at one moment there's a stunning little bee eater or kingfisher at the limit for reach of any reasonably transported telephoto, then 5 minutes later there are elephants so close you need a modest WA, then there's a cheetah where you need maybe 250mm, then suddenly it takes off running and you really need something wider to follow it. The advantages of zoom lenses under such quickly changing conditions far outweigh any loss of IQ compared to a set of primes. If the safari people provide them, and they almost always do, use a bean-bag rest with anything over about 150mm.

I would go with a K3II as you'd have to go into crop mode to use either the 10~20mm or 16~85mm which would negate the advantage of using a K1.
02-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #24
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure I would bother with a K-1. Sure, I don't follow my own advice as I travel with my K-1 and leave the K-3 at home... But the I don't really think the K-1 is the sensible choice - at least not without a good wide-angle lens to go with it.

With your (not too modest!) collection to choose from - and remember that I don't like bulk and weight - I'd probably go with:
DA 15, not as wide as the 10-20, but much smaller, and fantastically flare resistant. Of course, not that much wider than the 16-85, but it will add next to nothing...
DA 16-85 because it's a great allrounder normal zoom
DFA 150-450 because it will be marvellous in a car. Might even slap on the converter as you'll have another camera for wide shots anyway.
DA 55-300 because it's a wonderfully light lens to carry around, although - will you be able to leave that big and beautiful 150-450 back in the room when you've brought it all the way to Tanzania? I'm not sure I could do that.
The DFA 100 is a wonderful macro lens and a reasonably fast medium tele in one. I don't usually bring it, but I was very glad I did on Madagascar - dark and wet forests with lots of small critters to shoot, and those night active small lemurs as well. It would be nice on any walk, but then - will you bring two bodies? You don't really want to swap lenses while walking. You want to pay attention to your surroundings

As you know, I always prefer zooms over primes on a safari. I find flexibility more important than that last bit of IQ.

My priorities are always to put the experience itself first. I take images as mementos, and if any of them turn our to be post-worthy (or fit to hang on a wall) I see that as a bonus. I don't want to see my entire trip through a viewfinder. Others might put photography higher on their list when travelling.
02-16-2019, 05:00 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I don't really think the K-1 is the sensible choice - at least not without a good wide-angle lens to go with it.[/quote ]
would the Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 DC HSM wide angle fit the definition of a " good wide-angle lens ?"
QuoteQuote:
With your (not too modest!) collection to choose from
my wife has been very good to me since our last trip in 2016 K 3 and K 3 II instead of a K 5 II and the additions of the various lenses instead of a Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Tele-Macro [1:2] (Model 772D), Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm F2.8-3.8 VMC Macro Focusing Zoom and Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm F2.8-4 Version 3 (komine)

I did my part finding low price " experienced " copies of my lenses or good sales prices of the lenses and cameras

QuoteQuote:
DA 15, not as wide as the 10-20, but much smaller, and fantastically flare resistant. Of course, not that much wider than the 16-85, but it will add next to nothing...
DA 16-85 because it's a great allrounder normal zoom
DFA 150-450 because it will be marvellous in a car. Might even slap on the converter as you'll have another camera for wide shots anyway.
DA 55-30because it's a wonderfully light lens to carry around, although - will you be able to leave that big and beautiful 150-450 back in the room when you've brought it all the way to Tanzania? I'm not sure I could do that.

The DFA 100 is a wonderful macro lens and a reasonably fast medium tele in one. . . .It would be nice on any walk, but then - will you bring two bodies? You don't really want to swap lenses while walking. You want to pay attention to your surroundings

As you know, I always prefer zooms over primes on a safari. I find flexibility more important than that last bit of IQ.

My priorities are always to put the experience itself first. . . .
I would tend to agree with all that

extremely good advice and something I always try to follow. You never know what is outside the " scope " of the view finder, so look and keep your head on a swivel

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I would select:
Sigma 10~20mmPentax 16~85mm
Pentax 150~450mm

if you can manage the weight
. . . the 100mm is a better choice - it's bulkier than the 35mm, but it's very light and the extra focus distance is really valuable.
The 1.4X is insignificant for bulk & weight, but you'd only be using it on the 150~450mm to get past 450mm (or maybe the 100mm macro for a very small, skittish subject), The combo does provide good performance @ 630mm, but only if you can hold it really steady and you'd be using it primarily for small birds. . . . The advantages of zoom lenses under such quickly changing conditions far outweigh any loss of IQ compared to a set of primes. If the safari people provide them, and they almost always do, use a bean-bag rest with anything over about 150mm. . . .

for our time in the Ngorongoro Crater and in the Serengeti ( the first part of the trip ) it will just be myself, my wife and our guide in an pop up top SUV. so we are in control of how much time we spend at a location, will have bean bags ( and have used a back pack or jacket as a rest as well ), plenty of room to haul gear and the ability to shut down the engine. I may try the table top tripod as well

we have not been in the Selous Game Reserve and that is where weight and size of equipment may be at issue because I expect to be sharing an open vehicle and doing a walking and river/lake safari - that is why I am considering bringing the HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE

I would find room for the 70-200 personally, . . . Your 16-85 covers most walk around/ lodge type shots, . . . the 70-200 on one body and the 150-450 on the other with the option of the DA 1.4x with either lens should get you lots of keeper photos. When I look at my safari shots they all tend towards the long end. Just my thoughts, have fun.
our experience in 2016 was like what WPRESTO has related. A lion within reach of the vehicle, elephants within 20 feet, a cheetah and cub within 60 feet and then animals so far away it was time to " shoot and pray " [ with a surprising number of " recoverable " photos: I got the leopard in the tree, wait, there is 2 of them ] this is why I plan on while in the crater or the Serengeti using both the K 3 and K 3II both, one with a " short range " lens and the other with a " long range " lens. Whether I can do that in the Selous Game Reserve I have no idea.

hmm, so far the advice seems to be:

the K 3 and K 3 II, not K 1
Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 DC HSM wide angle, landscape, night sky
SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
HD Pentax-DA 16 - 85mm F3.5-5.6 WR " short range " coverage
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro macro, short telephoto
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE weight, walking, river/lake safari
HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5 - 5.6 ED DC AW telephoto
HD Pentax -DA AF rear converter 1.4 AW telephoto

any thing I have over looked

please keep the advice and comments coming

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-17-2019 at 07:43 AM.
02-16-2019, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

any thing I have over looked
A team of husky bearers always helps.

I came upon a pro doing a commercial shoot on the Virgin Islands: two beautiful models and two assistants to manipulate the big reflectors, plus a go-fer to fetch a Pentax 67 with film from the supply case and reload the used one. The two ladies took turns in front of the lens and going into a sort-of tent to change. When posing they were standing just out in the water. It was for a perfume ad.
02-16-2019, 05:44 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
A team of husky bearers always helps. . . .
my wife has been very good to me but she has one unbreakable rule

" you bought it, you haul it "

thankfully there are carts at the air ports and distances from rooms/tents to vehicles are usually short

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-16-2019 at 05:49 AM.
02-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #28
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

would the Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 DC HSM wide angle fit the definition of a " good wide-angle lens ?"
For a K-3, yes, but not for a K-1. A quick test with my 4-5.6 version shows a good amount of vignetting over the entire zoom range even stopped down to f/8. It can still be used in crop mode, of course.
02-16-2019, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #29
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

" you bought it, you haul it "
Yep, same here
02-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So my immediate reaction is:

Too much gear!

I worry that the gear will be in the way of enjoying the moment. I worry you will have analysis paralysis when deciding what to use.

My thoughts:
Ultrawide: do you NEED this? Is the DA 15 or 16-85 really too narrow?

Wide-moderate Tele: 16-85 seems perfect.

Telephoto: dfa 150-450

Fast/portraits: da 50
Bring the tc also.
For macro, grab a raynox to use on a telephoto body and maybe the . You may need adapters to fit that to those large front elements
Take both bodies.