Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2019, 07:43 AM   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I must admit that I often feel a self imposed need to use the lenses and other equipment that I have spent $ on

02-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I must admit that I often feel a self imposed need to use the lenses and other equipment that I have spent $ on
We all do that. Concentrate on the 80% of shots you want; pick only what you need for those shots. Then decide if a little extra gear is needed. 2nd body, backup point and shoot, etc.
02-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #33
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
We all do that. Concentrate on the 80% of shots you want; pick only what you need for those shots. Then decide if a little extra gear is needed. 2nd body, backup point and shoot, etc.
Can't say I disagree. My "second body" is my GR and my wife's super zoom thingy. When travelling only one DSLR makes it into the bag, along with one tele zoom, one wide/normal (and no f/2.8, either!), and usually the FA43 and A20 (used to be the DA15).

But we all have differing degrees of willingness to lug gear, and Allen (although somewhat reluctantly) seems to be willing to carry more than I am. Then again, the reasonable choice for me would be to get a µ4/3 kit for travelling...
02-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Can't say I disagree. My "second body" is my GR and my wife's super zoom thingy. When travelling only one DSLR makes it into the bag, along with one tele zoom, one wide/normal (and no f/2.8, either!), and usually the FA43 and A20 (used to be the DA15).

But we all have differing degrees of willingness to lug gear, and Allen (although somewhat reluctantly) seems to be willing to carry more than I am. Then again, the reasonable choice for me would be to get a µ4/3 kit for travelling...
I actually have that combo. K-3 and many many lenses for main use, m43 for when I'm gear lazy and want smaller stuff along. My dad has some zoom f2.8 m43 gear but I go for either primes or slower zooms. A bag with body and a few lenses (14-42, 20mm, 35-100, 8mm fisheye body cap) fits in the same space weight that a single zoom K-3 does (18-135 for example).

I like both and there are times I want the K-3 even when weight is at a premium but generally m43 is where I'm thinking light weight not apsc.

02-18-2019, 01:29 PM   #35
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually have that combo. K-3 and many many lenses for main use, m43 for when I'm gear lazy and want smaller stuff along. My dad has some zoom f2.8 m43 gear but I go for either primes or slower zooms. A bag with body and a few lenses (14-42, 20mm, 35-100, 8mm fisheye body cap) fits in the same space weight that a single zoom K-3 does (18-135 for example).

I like both and there are times I want the K-3 even when weight is at a premium but generally m43 is where I'm thinking light weight not apsc.
Sir, would you kindly stop fuelling my GAS
02-18-2019, 01:40 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lenses you simply need to pack:

DA16-85 - I don't have personal experience of it, but I've heard nothing but good. It's sharp, versatile and WR.
DA50 - for portraits of the locals and low light situations. Minimal packing penalty.
DFA150-450 - perfect safari lens. Don't worry about the weight. Forget the teleconverter.

Everything else is gravy.

Sigma 10-20 - Niche lens, but if you really like ultra-wide landscapes consider it. I'd probably throw in the DA15 and DA21 instead, with a couple of 49mm filters and a small tripod.
DFA*70-200 - Pass. WAY too much lens, especially if you've already packed the 150-450 (which you must).
I nearly always pack a macro lens, and rarely use it. Pass.

I'm off to work. I'll give it more thought and add later....
02-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
ok, I'll bite

[ remember that I am a newbie who posts a lot ]

what is:

. . . m43 for when I'm gear lazy and want smaller stuff along. . . . generally m43 is where I'm thinking light weight not apsc.

. . . the reasonable choice for me would be to get a µ4/3 kit for travelling...
I fear an attack of GAS/LBA may be in my future

02-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ok, I'll bite

[ remember that I am a newbie who posts a lot ]

what is:

I fear an attack of GAS/LBA may be in my future
It is a red herring. For some types of travel I take a Panasonic GX-1 and some small slow lenses and a fast prime or two. It's small but the sensor is a bit smaller (crop from APSC is about 1.3x crop from FF is 2x.

---------- Post added 02-18-19 at 04:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Lenses you simply need to pack:

DA16-85 - I don't have personal experience of it, but I've heard nothing but good. It's sharp, versatile and WR.
DA50 - for portraits of the locals and low light situations. Minimal packing penalty.
DFA150-450 - perfect safari lens. Don't worry about the weight. Forget the teleconverter.

Everything else is gravy.

Sigma 10-20 - Niche lens, but if you really like ultra-wide landscapes consider it. I'd probably throw in the DA15 and DA21 instead, with a couple of 49mm filters and a small tripod.
DFA*70-200 - Pass. WAY too much lens, especially if you've already packed the 150-450 (which you must).
I nearly always pack a macro lens, and rarely use it. Pass.

I'm off to work. I'll give it more thought and add later....
We are on the same page.
02-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't listen to them Allen. You don't need to invest in another system; APS-C is just fine, and your kit is very versatile.

You could make do with just the 16-85 and 55-300 if size and weight are critical, but on such a trip I would be constantly wishing I had that 150-450.

On my recent trip I packed a Limited prime kit (15, 21, 35, 70 on the KP) specifically to use in less secure urban areas. The big rig only came out in the wilderness.
02-18-2019, 03:09 PM   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
. . . your kit is very versatile.
Thank you

as I have said, my wife has been very very nice to me

QuoteQuote:
You could make do with just the 16-85 and 55-300 if size and weight are critical, but on such a trip I would be constantly wishing I had that 150-450.

as I have said, our first trip in 2016 ( fantastic and I'm slightly afraid this one won't live up to it. ) my " long lens " was an old Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Tele-Macro [1:2] (Model 772D)

Read more at: Tamron Lenses for Pentax: Legacy Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

so " you bet your sweet bippy "

What is the meaning of "You bet your sweet bippy!" What's a "bippy"? | Yahoo Answers

the " big guy " is going

that is nonnegotiable as is the DA 16-85 for " short range "

while in the vehicle, one will be on the K 3 and the other on the K 3 II most of the time.

what else makes the cut ??? - well it is spring training time and the opening line up has not yet been fully set

QuoteQuote:
On my recent trip I packed a Limited prime kit (15, 21, 35, 70 on the KP) specifically to use in less secure urban areas. The big rig only came out in the wilderness.
other than the two days we have scheduled for Amsterdam resting from the long flights flying to Tanzania and from Tanzania, " wilderness " is pretty much what is on the menu.

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-18-2019 at 04:03 PM.
02-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nobody needs m43 and APSC... For me it is needed partly to help my dad. His ability to carry gear is greatly diminished. M43 got him interested in his hobby again when APSC was too much to carry. I have to stay familiar and be able to swap gear with him. I wouldn't tell anyone who shoots either format that they are right or wrong. Sad truth is I like them both and this dilutes my $$$ and time invested in both.
02-19-2019, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #42
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

You don't need to invest in another system; APS-C is just fine, and your kit is very versatile.
Nobody needs m43 and APSC.
Very true. And I didn't mean to imply that Allen needed another system. It was just a digressing comment on my own "smaller is better" inclination. Unless we speak about viewfinders or dynamic range, of course

Last edited by savoche; 02-19-2019 at 02:14 AM.
02-19-2019, 02:13 AM   #43
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

other than the two days we have scheduled for Amsterdam resting from the long flights flying to Tanzania and from Tanzania, " wilderness " is pretty much what is on the menu.
You'll have a blast. No need to worry about this trip not going to be as good as the previous one. And I'm thoroughly envious of your visit to the Selous. It has been on my list for years. Really looking forward to hearing about it when you get back.
02-19-2019, 03:49 AM   #44
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I didn't take anyone's comments to mean that my kit was rubbish or I needed to change systems.

everyone is offering great advice and good things to consider.

I am a firm believer that you can learn from the experiences of others and thus, I seek such knowledge.

believe me, as a " newbie " often worried about my choices for settings of my camera ( OMG why didn't you just use the " green " stripe to make sure to get a photograph ) I eagerly seek the experiences of others when planning for and making these trips.

not only those who have made the trip before but those knowledgeable about travel with equipment, about equipment itself, about techniques and photography

never sure if I am ever making a return trip to certain locations in the future, these trips isn't exactly like wandering down to the zoo or local park

so please folks continue to offer advice and comments

thanks to all
02-19-2019, 04:12 AM   #45
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
. . . And I'm thoroughly envious of your visit to the Selous. It has been on my list for years. . . .
when we decided we could afford another trip, we determined we wanted to go back to Tanzania [ because of our great experience the last time and it is closer than traveling to Southern Africa ],

the same style ( the two of us and a guide in a private vehicle where possible )

visit 2 of the same areas - the Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti

but stay different types of lodges, tented as opposed to more modern lodges, if possible.

We did stay in a tent at the Tarangire Safari Lodge in the Tarangire National Park last time but two of the three experiences we have now planned - in the Serengeti [ Lemala Ewanjan ] and the Selous Game Reserve [ Rufiji Safari Camp ], we will be in smaller tented Lodges.

not roughing it by any means but I gave up back packing a long time ago.

We chose Selous because it was a different part of the country and offered river/lake safari opportunities.

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-19-2019 at 04:22 AM.