Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2019, 02:35 PM   #61
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Slow. The DFA 150-450 may well work at the added single f stop - and the converter is small. Test it and compare to cropping before you go.

As for the A series f1.4 vs. DA 1.8 - autofocus and weight and a mere half a stop. It just isn't really worth the extra headache unless you really dislike the DA 50 output.
makes sense

thanks

04-25-2019, 01:57 AM   #62
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

So I personally think you are taking too much.
That's my thought as well - but then we all have different thresholds for how much we're willing to haul. I definitely prefer travelling light.

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I do have to fight the urge to take lenses because I have them
I know. It always pains me to leave stuff at home - especially if I leave something "better". For me it helps a bit to define a "travel kit" based on different criteria than my "dream kit" is.

Of course, you still have to define those criteria
04-25-2019, 03:19 AM   #63
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
hmm, here is the " diet " list

Pentax K 3 and K 3 II camera bodies (to have both wide angle and telephoto options available immediately without lens change )
Canon Powershot A1100 IS ( emergency back up camera )

Lens choices and Reasons:

Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 DC HSM ( extreme wide angle, landscape, night sky )
HD Pentax-DA 16 - 85mm F3.5-5.6 ( wide angle short tele WR )

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited ( " lens cap " and for visual comparison with the 150 - 450mm )

SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 ( low light, portrait )
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE ( light weight, telephoto )
HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5 - 5.6 ED DC AW ( telephoto )
HD Pentax -DA AF rear converter 1.4 AW, ( added magnification but loss of F Stop )

Pentax O-GPS1
Moman Desktop Mini Tripod for DSLR
Oben CTM-2400 4-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod

is the inclusion of the Sigma worth it ?

other thoughts/comments

[ sorry, I cannot take any of you on the trip )

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-25-2019 at 03:29 AM.
04-25-2019, 07:02 AM   #64
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I would be happy with that kit - very happy.

Hard to say. Depends on you preferences, really. You are already covered down to 16mm. I always opted for the DA15 over the 10-20 for travelling.

sorry, I cannot take any of you on the trip
Awww, I thought we were friends!

04-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #65
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I would be happy with that kit - very happy. . . . I always opted for the DA15 over the 10-20 for travelling. . . .
First - limiteds are similar to Jell-O,

Remember:

" there's always room for Jell-O "

Second - is there sufficient difference between the 16 mm which is F3.5 and the 15mm which is F 4. the Sigma starts at 10mm which is F3.5 ?

Third - I can squeeze the K 3 II, no lens mounted but mount cap installed and strap plus

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited ( " lens cap " and for visual comparison with the 150 - 450mm )
HD Pentax -DA AF rear converter 1.4 AW, ( added magnification but loss of F Stop )

into my Lowepro Fastpack BP 150 AW II

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119687-REG/lowepro_lp36870_fastpack_...84231f0a8f51d8

it would take me a while to access stuff but it does squeeze in

the K 3 and Canon I would have to carefully store in another carry on
04-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
started to try to decide which lenses to take to Tanzania to use with my K 3 and K 3 II ( I will also take the Canon Powershot A1100 IS )

for most of the safari, I will be in a vehicle but for the time in Selous Game Reserve I plan on a walking safari and river/lake safari as well as in a vehicle

this is the list:
[ reason why to take the lens ]

All autofocus, zooms to avoid lens changes

SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 low light
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro macro
Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 DC HSM wide angle, landscape, night sky
HD Pentax-DA 16 - 85mm F3.5-5.6 WR " short range " coverage
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE weight, walking, river/lake safari
HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5 - 5.6 ED DC AW telephoto
HD Pentax -DA AF rear converter 1.4 AW telephoto

I also plan on taking:

Pentax O-GPS1

any thoughts, comments or suggestions will be very welcomed

here are the other camera and lenses I could take ( my wife has been very good to me )

Nikon coolpix p610

PRIMES

SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited
Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.4
SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited
SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8
SMC DA * 300mm F4 ED (IF ) SDM

ZOOM

HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW
I envy you this safari trek. I have been in many Tanzanian game parks--Mikumi, Lake Manyara, Ngorogoro Crater, Serengetti, and a couple of others whose names I do not remember. If you have not yet chartered a safari, I advise you to just fly into Arusha, rent a hotel to rest up, and walk around the square to hire your own Land Rover and driver--much cheaper and much less crowded, used to cost $100/day for driver and Land Rover. The tour groups crowd so many tourists into a Land Rover that you feel like a sardine canned in olive oil. If all those folks also have camera bags as large as the one you propose, it will be even more crowded. Drivers put you up close to the animals, so I found that a long lens was less necessary than a good prime. If I were going again, I would probably take the K-1 and 31mm ltd, 77mm ltd, and maybe a 200mm or 300mm lens. Good luck to you whatever you do, and happy hunting!
04-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

hmm, here is the " diet " list

Pentax K 3 and K 3 II camera bodies (to have both wide angle and telephoto options available immediately without lens change )
Canon Powershot A1100 IS ( emergency back up camera )

Lens choices and Reasons:

Pentax O-GPS1

other thoughts/comments

[ sorry, I cannot take any of you on the trip )
First - congrats on slimming down the list. It is hard to leave behind gear when the trip is a really rare treat.
Second - I'm fond of my DA 15 for shots that I think the DA 16-85 isn't great at. The difference isn't width or speed - it is how they handle flare with the sun directly in the frame. The DA 15 is legendary for how well it handles this. Also it is a small and light fun option for my prime trips or my 18-135 + DA 15 bag. As for the 10-20 - I have the Pentax 12-24 and use it a lot but I don't know if I would need it on this trip as you have described it. That's a tough decision. My gut tells me "less is more" you'll spend less time futzing around changing lenses if you have fewer of them and you will pay attention to the opportunities you have. I don't doubt that 10-20 COULD be useful - but it would only be needed from 10-15mm the upper portion of the range is already covered by the 16-85. I'm not sure how many 10-15mm shots you may encounter.

The DA 40 is a fun lens cap. But - and this is a minor question - how much better is the DA 50 over the DA 40 for portraits and low light. For low light - it's a stop and a third or so - and you already gave up 1/2 stop or 1/3 stop earlier. So I can see wanting the DA 50 for low light. In the end the question really is moot - it almost takes up no space over a regular body cap and weighs very little.

The DA 50 + TC = 70mm f2.8 which may be worth using on a few shots.

As for taking us along - it would be fun to have a whole bunch of pentaxians along for a photoshoot somewhere - maybe someday we can organize something.

So final summary:

If you drop the 10-20 you might not hate yourself.
If you add the DA 15 - and drop the 10-20 - you might find something that you want to shoot that the DA 16-85 won't but it is a small percentage of the shots - maybe not worth it.
If you drop the DA 40 for a body cap - you may hate us. Keeping the DA 40 on the body means immediate action ready for a short shot if the DFA 150-450 is on the other body. That could be very helpful. (Or course the 16-85 could be on body 2...)

---------- Post added 04-25-19 at 12:27 PM ----------

One more thought. Taking a small raynox 150 or 250 depending on lens compatibility may take the sting out of leaving the DFA 100 behind.

04-25-2019, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #68
Veteran Member

If it is open jeep, protect the camera from dust. I carry just one tele lens and a body in a gym bag. I take camera out only when I am about to take picture. Rest of the time camera stays inside the bag.
04-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #69
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
First - congrats on slimming down the list. It is hard to leave behind gear when the trip is a really rare treat.
Second - I'm fond of my DA 15 for shots that I think the DA 16-85 isn't great at. The difference isn't width or speed - it is how they handle flare with the sun directly in the frame. The DA 15 is legendary for how well it handles this. Also it is a small and light fun option for my prime trips or my 18-135 + DA 15 bag. As for the 10-20 - I have the Pentax 12-24 and use it a lot but I don't know if I would need it on this trip as you have described it. That's a tough decision. My gut tells me "less is more" you'll spend less time futzing around changing lenses if you have fewer of them and you will pay attention to the opportunities you have. I don't doubt that 10-20 COULD be useful - but it would only be needed from 10-15mm the upper portion of the range is already covered by the 16-85. I'm not sure how many 10-15mm shots you may encounter.

The DA 40 is a fun lens cap. But - and this is a minor question - how much better is the DA 50 over the DA 40 for portraits and low light. For low light - it's a stop and a third or so - and you already gave up 1/2 stop or 1/3 stop earlier. So I can see wanting the DA 50 for low light. In the end the question really is moot - it almost takes up no space over a regular body cap and weighs very little.

The DA 50 + TC = 70mm f2.8 which may be worth using on a few shots.

As for taking us along - it would be fun to have a whole bunch of pentaxians along for a photoshoot somewhere - maybe someday we can organize something.

. . . .
the " lens cap " 40mm limited would be on during walk around lodge time and air port

during actual safari the big guy 150-450mm would be on either the K 3 or K 3 II and the 16-85mm on the other

Any one have any suggestions on which body ??

other lenses would be with me but not mounted unless something special comes up and there is time

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I envy you this safari trek. I have been in many Tanzanian game parks--Mikumi, Lake Manyara, Ngorogoro Crater, Serengetti, and a couple of others whose names I do not remember. If you have not yet chartered a safari, I advise you to just fly into Arusha, rent a hotel to rest up, and walk around the square to hire your own Land Rover and driver--much cheaper and much less crowded, used to cost $100/day for driver and Land Rover. The tour groups crowd so many tourists into a Land Rover that you feel like a sardine canned in olive oil. If all those folks also have camera bags as large as the one you propose, it will be even more crowded. Drivers put you up close to the animals, so I found that a long lens was less necessary than a good prime. If I were going again, I would probably take the K-1 and 31mm ltd, 77mm ltd, and maybe a 200mm or 300mm lens. Good luck to you whatever you do, and happy hunting!
safari is preplanned and using same driver we had in 2016, who has guided the person who set up the safari and Gary Clarke numerous times -

Who is Gary Clarke? | Camp Cowabunga

Gary led 130 safaris to Africa

our first visit - 2016, Arusha NP, Lake Tarangire NP, Lake Manyara NP, the Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti

just like the last time, it will be the two of us and guide for the time in the Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti in an extended Toyota land cruiser with pop up top. In Selous Game Reserve, one day private tour with just the two of us and different guide, open vehicle , otherwise group vehicle

you are right, 90 % of time, animals were close, exceptions lions and leopards in trees and rhinos in the Crater

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-25-2019 at 02:23 PM.
04-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the " lens cap " 40mm limited would be on during walk around lodge time and air port

during actual safari the big guy 150-450mm would be on either the K 3 or K 3 II and the 16-85mm on the other

Any one have any suggestions on which body ??

other lenses would be with me but not mounted unless something special comes up and there is time

safari is preplanned and using same driver we had in 2016, who has guided the person who set up the safari and Gary Clarke numerous times -

Who is Gary Clarke? | Camp Cowabunga

Gary led 130 safaris to Africa

our first visit - 2016, Arusha NP, Lake Tarangire NP, Lake Manyara NP, the Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti

just like the last time, it will be the two of us and guide for the time in the Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti in an extended Toyota land cruiser with pop up top. In Selous Game Reserve, one day private tour with just the two of us and different guide, open vehicle , otherwise group vehicle

you are right, 90 % of time, animals were close, exceptions lions and leopards in trees and rhinos in the Crater
That sounds really good. I am sure my suggestions are of limited value since you have already been there and can make wise decisions based upon your past experience. If you can get a reservation at Ma Gibbs Farm for a night too, it is a real treat. It is on the internet now. Wishing you a fantastic experience. No flash around the elephants!
04-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #71
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That sounds really good. I am sure my suggestions are of limited value since you have already been there and can make wise decisions based upon your past experience. If you can get a reservation at Ma Gibbs Farm for a night too, it is a real treat. It is on the internet now. Wishing you a fantastic experience. No flash around the elephants!
I was in Africa ( Tanzania ) once for a very limited time

so I will take all the hints and advice I can get

on photography

on doing a safari

on a lot of things

especially from those who have actual knowledge such as yourself and others:

I envy you this safari trek. I have been in many Tanzanian game parks--Mikumi, Lake Manyara, Ngorogoro Crater, Serengetti, and a couple of others whose names I do not remember. . . .

so your suggestions are more than welcome

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-25-2019 at 04:15 PM.
04-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was there once for a very limited time

so I will take all the hints and advice I can get

on photography

on doing a safari

on a lot of things

especially from those who have actual knowledge such as yourself:

so your suggestions are more than welcome
Best of luck to you. I am working on not being envious!
04-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #73
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Best of luck to you. I am working on not being envious!
the wife has been very very good to me

. . . One more thought. Taking a small raynox 150 or 250 depending on lens compatibility may take the sting out of leaving the DFA 100 behind.
I am not as dumb as I look [ or as certain of my relations think ]

so I am not considering adding any equipment before going on the trip

now if some one would send me one of those for free

( " that's a joke, son " )

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-26-2019 at 03:35 AM.
04-26-2019, 05:28 AM   #74
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect that you will want the 150-450 "lens cap" on while walking around camp At least Rufiji is situated such that I would be surprised if you can't do a fair bit of game viewing from the camp itself.
04-26-2019, 07:00 AM   #75
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I suspect that you will want the 150-450 "lens cap" on while walking around camp At least Rufiji is situated such that I would be surprised if you can't do a fair bit of game viewing from the camp itself.
for sure

one thing certain with a camera system where you can change lenses

some time, some where, you will wish you had the " other " lens on the camera

my plans always contain " options " which are available to jump to

if I get lucky that is

imagine the visual of us sitting at a table at the outside bar with:

the K 3 with the DA 40 limited next to the K 3 II with the D FA 150-450mm fully extended on the top of the table