QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Potato chips are a lot cheaper.
True. But it's like telling a cocaine addict that sugar is cheaper
05-21-2019, 04:49 AM   #93
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
First thanks for the comments and advice given so far, all has been helpful and thought provoking

[ if any one really want to help out, donations for expenses will be very much appreciated " That's a joke, son " ]

Please comment on this plan as well

________

we start on our journey July 19, less than 60 days away

time for final planning is starting

Perceived photography needs on safari:

autofocus,
zooms to avoid lens changes
wide angle for landscape, night sky, massive size of herds
size and weight for planned walking/boat safari when sharing vehicle with others in the Selous Game Reserve
macro for walking safari in the Selous Game Reserve
low light capability
telephoto capability
extreme telephoto capability
back up cameras

reality, based on my one previous experience:

with the exception of the Black Rhinos, lions and leopards in trees, most photo opportunities could be quite close negating need for telephoto or extreme telephoto capability

bean bags will be available for support, backpack and/or jacket can also be used

First - limiteds are similar to Jell-O, Remember: " there's always room for Jell-O ", so perhaps some of the limiteds might find a nook or cranny to hide in.

Second - three cameras: K 3 II, K 3, and the Canon Powershot aka last choice but better than phone camera ( Samsung S 10 + )

Third - lenses to take ( and why ) [ Maximum 9 ]
Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 DC HSM ( extreme wide angle, landscape, night sky )
HD Pentax-DA 16 - 85mm F3.5-5.6 ( wide angle, very short tele WR )
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS and/or SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited ( " lens caps " and very good lenses as well)
SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 ( low light, portrait )
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro ( macro, short telephoto )
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE ( light weight, telephoto )
HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5 - 5.6 ED DC AW ( telephoto )
HD Pentax -DA AF rear converter 1.4 AW, ( added magnification but loss of F Stop )

if need to change any of the above lens choices

First to be left at home ???

Second to be left at home ???

Third to be left at home ???

Fourth to be left at home ???

_________________________________________________________________________________

Lowepro Fastpack BP 150 AW II
Pentax O-GPS1
Moman Desktop Mini Tripod for DSLR
Oben CTM-2400 4-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-21-2019 at 02:03 PM.
05-21-2019, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #94
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
with the exception of the Black Rhinos, lions and leopards in trees, most photo opportunities could be quite close negating need for telephoto or extreme telephoto capability
Speaking from experience, after a few trips you will start developing an interest for (smaller) birds. Which will make your need for telephoto a constant one. Just so aren't caught by surprise when it happens

05-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #95
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Speaking from experience, after a few trips you will start developing an interest for (smaller) birds. Which will make your need for telephoto a constant one. Just so aren't caught by surprise when it happens
so you are suggesting that the next trip, the one after this, that would be # 3, I will start concentrating on birds

Lake Manyara National Park was on our 1st trip and it was excellent for birds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Manyara_National_Park

We are not going back there this time
05-21-2019, 06:46 PM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Too many lenses equals time lost changing lenses and cleaning up dusty sensors. Too many lenses equals more chances that you have the "wrong one" on the camera. Too many lenses slows down your shooting as you second guess yourself.
05-21-2019, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #97
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Too many lenses equals time lost changing lenses and cleaning up dusty sensors. Too many lenses equals more chances that you have the "wrong one" on the camera. Too many lenses slows down your shooting as you second guess yourself.
everyone is entitled to their opinion and you could be correct about changing lenses

unless you use them wisely in the right situation for the opportunity presented

sitting for minutes with no change in the large herd you are watching and you want a extreme wide angle to capture the scene

large cloud coming down the inside of the crater wall

low light photography attempt of animals around the camp ( bats as a matter of fact )

can there be problems with wrong lens at the wrong time - certainly

that's life after all

if you are really worried about it, don't use a camera that accepts different lenses and you have avoided the problem entirely
05-22-2019, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

if you are really worried about it, don't use a camera that accepts different lenses and you have avoided the problem entirely
Lol. True. But my thought was more around pointing out the downsides to too many lenses. Too few isn't a great solution either. I'm trying to bring balance into the discussion. Ultimately you need to be happy with your choices.

05-22-2019, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lol. True. But my thought was more around pointing out the downsides to too many lenses. Too few isn't a great solution either. I'm trying to bring balance into the discussion. Ultimately you need to be happy with your choices.
Very interesting discussion, but simply a variation on the old theme of weight versus flexibility in field equipment. Clearly what is required is a new lens with an extensive array of capabilities. The forthcoming Pentax D FA 18-600mm f 1.2 macro (AF, IF, AS, WR) lens holds promise. Lens designers are still working on weight problems, however, as well as an internal motor powerful enough for auto-focusing.
05-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #100
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
" true dat "

the only time I will be worried about the weight of the gear I haul is in the air port but carts are cheap

at the lodges, I will either select what I need on the actual driving safari and secure the rest or take all to the vehicle, very short walks based on my one and only experience.

for most of our trip, we and the guide will be the only ones in the vehicle so there will be plenty of room.

I really don't expect to be changing lenses much " in the field " and it wasn't all that dusty the last time.

I am thinking of taking the lenses listed for the reasons listed but again, my final list may be developed the night before we leave.

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Very interesting discussion, but simply a variation on the old theme of weight versus flexibility in field equipment. Clearly what is required is a new lens with an extensive array of capabilities. The forthcoming Pentax D FA 18-600mm f 1.2 macro (AF, IF, AS, WR) lens holds promise. Lens designers are still working on weight problems, however, as well as an internal motor powerful enough for auto-focusing.
there is always something just over the top of the hill

and with lenses, it is usual to expect it to be expensive

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-22-2019 at 08:07 AM.
05-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually it isn't just weight. That is the point I was trying to make. Time to change lenses. Dust. Indecision all are factors.
05-22-2019, 09:25 AM   #102
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually it isn't just weight. That is the point I was trying to make. Time to change lenses. Dust. Indecision all are factors.
I really don't expect to be changing lenses much " in the field " and it wasn't all that dusty the last time.

I am thinking of taking the lenses listed for the reasons listed but again, my final list may be developed the night before we leave.
05-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reasonable