Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #1

How new is the stuff you get from your local shop?

The DA 40 I picked up from my local shop was a demo. They didn't call it a demo and there was no price reduction on it but he pulled it out of a box that looked like it had been open many times before, mounted it on a camera, and let me do as I wish with it.

I like the idea of the boutique shops letting me try stuff and I don't mind spending a little more. These guys aren't too high on the big ticket items. For that reason, I don't mind getting something that others have handled and tried out. It's no big deal and far outweighed by the value of being able to touch/feel the item in question before purchasing.

..... but today I paid 75 bucks for a box of twelve sensor cleaning swabs and a tiny vile of fluid. Upon returning home, I noticed only 11 swabs. The fluid bottle is only half full. I have no idea how full it should be.

I have to admit, I would have preferred that stuff be in a bubble pack so I could know I'm getting what I paid for. They just had it on a shelf with no wrapping.

Do you guys mind getting opened box items? What needs to be a sealed item and what can be previously handled by other customers?

Some of these things are commodity items that ought to come sealed, IMO... while others are sufficiently expensive and subjectively preferred that it's OK if people have handled it before (like a car that's been previously test driven). Where do you draw the line?

Perhaps another good question would be, "How new is the stuff you get from mail order?"

02-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
tom,
$75 for 12 cleanings is a tad too much for me,
you can get a kit delivered from micro tools for about $25 that has at least 100 cleanings..
if you paid for 12 at that price then you should get 12.
i've bought opened boxes before but only at a discount.
used is used and it's your decision if you purchase it.
02-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #3

Before I start, this isn't a complaint, just a relevant observation.

The shop from which I bought my K10D is small, though part of a large chain.

When I asked about the camera, the assistant (actually the manager, I think) got one out of the window, installed a battery, handed it to me and invited me to take it outside to try.

I got outside, switched it on and it immediately went into its initial set-up sequence, which I went through just as far as necessary to start playing with the cameras controls properly.

When I said I wanted one, he got a box off the shelf, put it in a carrier bag and I paid for it. On arriving home I opened the box, put the battery on charge, and read the manual for a while. When the battery was charged, I installed it and opened the book at the "initial settings" page. I switched on the camera only to find that the initial settings had already been set.

So, if I have this right, the camera in the shop window hadn't been used, but the one packed up on the shelf had been. Strange, but probably true. Never mind, it was in perfect working order, everything was there and I was happy.

Simon
02-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I asked the manager of a local camera shop once whether they were willing to discount demos. He replied no. He rotates his stock frequently so that one camera doesn't end up being the demo all the time. Maybe that's what happened in your case? Something like that wouldn't be a big deal to me.

I actually prefer to buy my camera bodies locally if possible. They have lots of moving parts and electronics. If I have a problem I can exchange or return the item easily. Plus I get to actually handle the product to see if it suits me ergonomically. These things are worth a slight premium.

I'm agnostic about where I buy my lenses from. They have fewer parts that can go wrong, in my experience.

02-24-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Some stores will give a slight discount on demo or open box items. Some won't. Most of my gear is used, so I guess I don't mind open box items.

I think it is more important to buy from a reputable dealer... whether locally or off the internet. That way if you have a problem, you know they will take care of you.

A personal experience is stuff I bought from Henry's internet/flea-Bay sites (they're based in Toronto). I've had only 2 minor issues and they were prompt in returning my emails and in one case exchanging a lens. Good service and honesty... can't ask for better than that.
02-25-2007, 12:34 AM   #6

My K10D was the demo, when I told the salesperson that I would take one, she just put in back in the box without a word about it. The count was at about 400.

I just figured that was normal for a local shop to not carry much stock. The poor service and support I have gotten since (my flash died after 2 weeks) has made me question whether that was normal or not for a shop to do that.
02-25-2007, 02:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Being a pentax user, you would have to be used to used gear.

While I got most of the lenses new, certain * lenses were only available second hand - hence the bidding war in flea sites as suggested

As long as the lenses take great images, I do not really care they are brand new or not. Cosmeticly it only matters when you only bought the lenses to re-sell...
02-25-2007, 07:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

i wouldnt mind getting open box as long as i get open box prices (or a discounted price) other wise, i'll make them bring me a new one, or unless the one i've been given is new. (and he's just opening it for the first time)

Recently, I was in the market for an mp3 player, so i decided to get an M$ Zune
asked for a new one at circuit city, but the dude told me or asked me if I wanted an open box, it was 90 off of retail, already I was enticed. looked at the product, also had the same instore warranty (30 day return). it was practically brand new, now marks on it what so ever.

one time at a gamestop, i rufused to buy a brand new game that was already open. it was the display. they wouldnt give me a discount..so i just walked out

(didnt care if it was 5% or 1%, fact was the game was open, and to me it was used)