Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Traveling lens? Just an idea...

Hi all,

Have people on this site done the "traveling lens" thing yet? If not, would anybody be up for it?

The idea is to take a (usually inexpensive!) lens and pass it around via the mail, with each person receiving it having to take a certain number of photos within a certain time period, then sending it on to the next. The result can be great fun, and it's always wonderful to see the different approaches people take to the same gear.

I'd be willing to kick something like this off (with a lens from my collection), maybe keep it to 10-12 people until the lens goes home. Has something like this been done before, and is anybody interested? It could make for a fun thread.

An alternative would be to take an object of any kind, pass it around, and have people photograph it in a setting of their choice. That too could make for some great shots!

Just thought I'd throw this out there...

09-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting idea. Iparticipated in something similar with a camera (inexpensive P&S) that traveled worldwide with one roll of film with each person taking 1 shot. It took about 1 year to get back to its origin & they processed & posted the images. The lens idea is interesting.
09-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I've seen the traveling camera thing, but I figured with the lens going around (maybe a week per person) we could get some updates during the meantime instead of waiting for it to come all the way back.
09-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Another option might be to send an SD card around.

09-17-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote
I like that too!
09-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great idea, might take a while to ship it around with the international community here, probably have to have it spend some time in one area, then be sent to another.
09-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Great idea, might take a while to ship it around with the international community here, probably have to have it spend some time in one area, then be sent to another.
Well, I figure it can be done like this, have a set number of people (maybe a dozen) sign up, then if some are overseas just 'group' them together so the lens won't have to cross the ocean too many times!

09-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Well, I figure it can be done like this, have a set number of people (maybe a dozen) sign up, then if some are overseas just 'group' them together so the lens won't have to cross the ocean too many times!
Aye, thats more or less what I was proposing, I just didn't manage to think of the right words. Wonder if there are any other pentaxians in Guatemala...
09-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, if there's enough interest I'll post a signup thread. Have a Sears 135 lens that performs really well, could be fun to send it around and see what happens.
09-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not make it a travel bug?

Why not log onto Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site, and register a cheap digital camera as a travel bug, then put it in a geocache and let people post photos of where it has been.

You could even use an old P&S (I have an EI200 2.1mp camera for example) but it is a little too big for many caches.
09-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've actually done the geocaching thing, but figured sending a lens around might be a little different.
09-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I've actually done the geocaching thing, but figured sending a lens around might be a little different.
perhaps yes, but did youo send a camera around for strangers to use and post photos? It would be a great way to get random shots of where the camera went. You can even put it on a "mission"
09-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote
I like the SD card idea as well, I've got bunches and I'd be happy to donate one to the cause.

The only stipulation is that everyone that gets it has to take a "mirror self portrait" I like the pictures Idea, but I want to see the people behind the lens as well!

Plus an SD card is MUCH easier to ship just about anywhere.

Whatever ends up happening, I'd love to be involved.
09-17-2008, 09:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Although the SD card would be the easiest and cheapest to ship, we might run into problems with file numbers overwriting each other.
09-17-2008, 10:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
Although the SD card would be the easiest and cheapest to ship, we might run into problems with file numbers overwriting each other.
Are there any cameras made in the last 10 years that still do that?