Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2018, 02:06 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Electronic shutter or manual shutter? K1

Today I had an impromptu opportunity to get a shot of the endangered New Zealand Falcon feasting on prey. He had settling in the deep shade within a tree about 8 metres away. There was no time to waste I grabbed the K1 and my Pentax K400 – 600mm mirror racked out to 600 and of course f12. I chose the settings 1/100sec Iso 100 knowing I would have to push a lot of stops in post. (I utilize Iso-invariance). A monopod was near to hand and ready to go. The camera was already set to electronic shutter and so of course the image stabilization was off. In post processing I had to push the image about 4 stops, having of course the luxury of being able to hold the highlights back a bit.
I think in hindsight I would have been better to set Iso at 400 and speed up the shutter to 1/400 (still needing 4 stops in post). I would have ended up with the noise of Iso 6400 but I think the gain from increased shutter speed would have been greater. What I am curious about is would I have been better with mechanical shutter and Image stabilization or would shutter shake offset any gains. I am interested in other peoples opinions of best practise is this situation.
The image is slightly cropped (still considerable more than Apsc.)

08-07-2018, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
At 1/400 you won't see shutter shock. It is evident in the 1/60-1/200 range, and only then in certain set ups and equipment. I only notice it with a long lens on a tripod attatched by the lens's foot
08-07-2018, 02:30 AM   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
At 1/400 you won't see shutter shock. It is evident in the 1/60-1/200 range, and only then in certain set ups and equipment. I only notice it with a long lens on a tripod attatched by the lens's foot
So the range of shutter shock is not extended with long lenses the same way that hand held camera shake does?
08-07-2018, 03:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
So the range of shutter shock is not extended with long lenses the same way that hand held camera shake does?

I have not done extensive tests, but using a 300mm lens + 2x converter I noticed no difference in the range of shutter shock. Anything above 1/200 and the second curtain has already closed before the effects of the shock from the first curtain can influence the picture.

As you are using a monopod you may not experience it at all even in the range I mentioned.

08-07-2018, 03:37 AM   #5
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have not done extensive tests, but using a 300mm lens + 2x converter I noticed no difference in the range of shutter shock. Anything above 1/200 and the second curtain has already closed before the effects of the shock from the first curtain can influence the picture.

As you are using a monopod you may not experience it at all even in the range I mentioned.
So your call would be Iso 6400 1/400 , Mechanical shutter and image stabilisation?
Your 300mm plus 2x tele combo would pretty well need to be exposing at f11 wouldn't it ? Maybe a stop faster?
08-07-2018, 04:00 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would always go for a higher shutter speed and SR at the expense of ISO especially on the K1
08-07-2018, 04:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I would always go for a higher shutter speed and SR at the expense of ISO especially on the K1
I agree. I often make the mistake of using too slow a shutter speed on the K1 because I'm trying to avoid high ISO. However, the camera handles the high ISO very well. I'm now forcing myself to say "Trust the camera. Trust the camera."

Great doughnuts by the way.

08-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Great doughnuts by the way.
Umm yes - they are not to every-bodies taste - I would prefer a smooth bokeh!.
08-07-2018, 04:11 PM   #9

A 600mm lens on a monopod would definitely benefit from a much higher shutter speed. I would gladly give up a little noise to get a sharp shot. I would suggest that you experiment with electronic or mechanical + stabilize to see which works better with your monopod. Should be easy to set up some test shots on a static subject. Then you'll know what to do next time.
08-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #10
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Qman Quote
I would suggest that you experiment with electronic or mechanical + stabilize to see which works better with your monopod.
Yes - it is possible that Image stabilisation and monopod are not particularly compatible. I will do a comparison sometime if someone hasn't beaten me to it.
08-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes - it is possible that Image stabilisation and monopod are not particularly compatible. I will do a comparison sometime if someone hasn't beaten me to it.
Looking at your pic, I just think the issue was neither of those things but the slow shutter speed. There's definitely camera shake because even the tree branch isn't sharp.

What a handsome beast though … the falcon, not just you, GUB!
08-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, get the shutter speed up. I agree with clackers that it looks like camera shake. I would think the branch should be crisper than it is.
08-07-2018, 09:02 PM   #13
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Yes, get the shutter speed up. I agree with clackers that it looks like camera shake. I would think the branch should be crisper than it is.
Yeah not arguing the shutter speed - and I guess everyone is agreeing with Pschute that the shutter shake danger area (1/60 - 1/200) doesn't increase with the longer focal length - and therefore Mechanical shutter at say 1/500 is a no-brainer?
08-08-2018, 04:08 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah not arguing the shutter speed - and I guess everyone is agreeing with Pschute that the shutter shake danger area (1/60 - 1/200) doesn't increase with the longer focal length - and therefore Mechanical shutter at say 1/500 is a no-brainer?
I would say so. You're above the speeds that shutter shake is reported, and given how twitchy birds are and how quickly they can move, I'd say 1/500 is a minimum target. I try to get my shutter speed up as much as I can with long lenses and birds.
08-08-2018, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mechanical shutter at say 1/500 is a no-brainer?
1/500s is my starting point for birding, GUB.