Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Photographing the close to the horizon?

So out here on the West coast of the US we have had a few forest fires lately. While this is generally not good it makes for some beautiful coloring of the sun in evening. I would love to get some photographs of this but I don't know what or if I need to take precautions. I'm not a big fan of losing my eyesight or ruining my camera. Would you guys and gals have any advice? I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you!

08-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For regular sunset photos, provided you don't look directly into the sun, you should not have a chance of ruining your eyesight or your camera.
08-08-2018, 01:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A normal exposure of the sun shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't use live view extensively with the sun in the picture, especially with tele lenses, that goes for your eyes too (don't search for the right camera settings while looking into the sun, just compose and take the picture you can check your exposure on the resulting picture on the camera display)

edit: as Mark said, don't look directly into the sun when it is in the frame, look at the hills, trees, clouds or whatever else is in the frame. The longer the lens gets, the higher is the risk of damaging eyes or camera because the sun takes a bigger proportion of the image. With a 400mm lens I felt comfortable enough to photograph some leaves on a tree with the sundown behind the leaves, with a 1000mm lens I would rather risk my camera than my eyes and use live view to compose the image

Last edited by othar; 08-08-2018 at 01:58 AM.
08-08-2018, 02:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I overdid it once at sunset and suffered sore and watery eyes for some time. My camera survived the ordeal with no apparent ill effects.

08-08-2018, 02:58 AM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I am careful of shooting any shots of the sun, not just sunsets - focus once and chimp that shot, make any adjustments and go from there...

other than shooting the eclipse last year, my camera has had no special equipment/protection and has taken dozens of pure sun shots, either sunrise or sunset, or for flare shots...
08-08-2018, 06:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once it's low to the horizon the sun is usually dimmed enough to meter, particularly with all the smoke. I got a couple good shots this weekend, I haven't posted them yet.
08-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Awesome! Thank you all. Hopefully I am able to get some good shots soon.
Thank you!