Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question on Evening-Light Teckni Queue.

I'll be taking some photographs of my niece (singer) and her jazz band tonight. Supposed to be a clear evening - starts between 6:30 and 7. Sunset here (EST, US) is about 8:50 today. The porch where they play is backed up by the cafe where they are, and they will be facing south.

My plan is to use a zoom lens of some sort - I have a Tamron SP 35-210, along with carrying my 50mm plastic fantastic, just because. I also have a flash - TT560.

Any recommendations, generally, or thoughts?

08-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it were me I would shoot tav mode set your aperture and shutter to what you want and let the iso adjust to what it needs.Take care of the noise in post. I have only used my flash a couple of times. So I can’t make any suggestions.
08-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't use flash unless you plan to take some headshots ahead of the gig and need it for fill light.
08-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Don't use flash unless you plan to take some headshots ahead of the gig and need it for fill light.
Perfect, Uncle Vanya. Thank you for the advice.

08-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This shot was made in a dimly lighted converted church. It was for a Folk Society concert.

The shot was made with a Panasonic GX-1 (16mp older m43 sensor) that isn't great at low light. I did this shot with the 45-175 Panasonic f/4-5.6 lens.

There are a few more including some B&W shots made the same night.
08-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This shot was made in a dimly lighted converted church. It was for a Folk Society concert.

The shot was made with a Panasonic GX-1 (16mp older m43 sensor) that isn't great at low light. I did this shot with the 45-175 Panasonic f/4-5.6 lens.

There are a few more including some B&W shots made the same night.
What settings on the shot?
08-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
What settings on the shot?
If you click it you can get most of the EXIF from Flickr but here's what I can recall:

Shot in Av mode (my default) with ISO 3200 - Wide open (f/5.6) and 1/25s. White balance was set to Tungsten but I shot in RAW+JPG and processed this from RAW. DXO Prime noise reduction applied. It is a little soft due to movement. You can see how sharp some non-moving parts are so the image stabilization was hitting on all cylinders (175mm / 350 effective on FF field of view, just about 3-4 stops of image stabilization likely). All shots hand held. For this one I may have rested my elbows on the seats in front of me that were empty.

08-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If you click it you can get most of the EXIF from Flickr but here's what I can recall:

Shot in Av mode (my default) with ISO 3200 - Wide open (f/5.6) and 1/25s. White balance was set to Tungsten but I shot in RAW+JPG and processed this from RAW. DXO Prime noise reduction applied. It is a little soft due to movement. You can see how sharp some non-moving parts are so the image stabilization was hitting on all cylinders (175mm / 350 effective on FF field of view, just about 3-4 stops of image stabilization likely). All shots hand held. For this one I may have rested my elbows on the seats in front of me that were empty.
In my K-3, I think I can shoot in auto mode, but bracket the ISO to between 100 and 3200. The Tamron is 3.5 - 4.2. Would you recommend taking my 50-200 DAL ED WR, instead of the Tamron? The Tamron is a bit wider, but the AF in the evening light might be better.
08-11-2018, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my K-3, I think I can shoot in auto mode, but bracket the ISO to between 100 and 3200. The Tamron is 3.5 - 4.2. Would you recommend taking my 50-200 DAL ED WR, instead of the Tamron? The Tamron is a bit wider, but the AF in the evening light might be better.
I don't really know that Tamron I'm afraid. The venue I was in was small and I had a good seat but not super close. I'm linking a shot below that isn't fantastic to show roughly what the view was from the seat. This was shot with a Panasonic 20mm (40mm FF field of view). The 175mm I was toting is about the same as using a 280mm on crop in terms of field of view. I regularly shoot a K-3 and would happily have shot this with my DA* 60-250 f/4 but wasn't sure how much room for gear I would have in my seat. The DA 50-200 is an odd lens. I had one and enjoyed it but it has a reputation for being soft. The 30mm Sigma (60mm FF, 48mm crop) was my most shot lens but I did end up preferring the 45-175 shots the most. The 20mm (40mm FF, 32mm crop was too wide from where I sat). It really will come down to where you can sit and your lighting will likely be better at least while the sun is out than mine.

08-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't really know that Tamron I'm afraid. The venue I was in was small and I had a good seat but not super close. I'm linking a shot below that isn't fantastic to show roughly what the view was from the seat. This was shot with a Panasonic 20mm (40mm FF field of view). The 175mm I was toting is about the same as using a 280mm on crop in terms of field of view. I regularly shoot a K-3 and would happily have shot this with my DA* 60-250 f/4 but wasn't sure how much room for gear I would have in my seat. The DA 50-200 is an odd lens. I had one and enjoyed it but it has a reputation for being soft. The 30mm Sigma (60mm FF, 48mm crop) was my most shot lens but I did end up preferring the 45-175 shots the most. The 20mm (40mm FF, 32mm crop was too wide from where I sat). It really will come down to where you can sit and your lighting will likely be better at least while the sun is out than mine.

Thank you for all the advice, U.V.!
08-11-2018, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for all the advice, U.V.!
Your welcome. I occasionally shoot bands for my own enjoyment, but I'm not the expert. If I had to do it more often I'd get a k-1 and the DFA 70-200 or I would use a KP and the DA* 50-135 and get closer.
08-12-2018, 07:26 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Your welcome. I occasionally shoot bands for my own enjoyment, but I'm not the expert. If I had to do it more often I'd get a k-1 and the DFA 70-200 or I would use a KP and the DA* 50-135 and get closer.
UV - here are a few of the shots I got - used the 50-200 and natural light. Some pp in LR. Thanks again for the rec's!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-12-2018, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The last one is particularly good. I'm glad you were able to make this work. The 50-200 gets a bad rap, I think I have read that the long end suffers on longer shots more than midrange shots but I can't recall if I really felt that way. I got mine as part of my original purchase (used) of a K100d Super and a 2 lens kit (18-55 mk1 & 50-200). I have since sold the lenses but I kept the K100D Super, it's my backup lens conversion body.
08-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The last one is particularly good. I'm glad you were able to make this work. The 50-200 gets a bad rap, I think I have read that the long end suffers on longer shots more than midrange shots but I can't recall if I really felt that way. I got mine as part of my original purchase (used) of a K100d Super and a 2 lens kit (18-55 mk1 & 50-200). I have since sold the lenses but I kept the K100D Super, it's my backup lens conversion body.
Thank you - I appreciate it. The venue was much smaller than I expected, so I think I would have taken the 16-45 if I had known. I should have taken it with the bag, regardless. However, the 50mm end of that lens worked fine. It may get a bad rap because it's a kit lens, but for a relatively inexpensive 50-200 zoom, I'm pretty pleased with it. Plus, with Lightroom or Photoshop, I think one can correct a great deal of non-focus issues.