Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Ratio on wedding: Couple vs Guests

Hi!

What do you think, what is the perfect ratio of portraits about the couple and the about the wedding guests?

Of course the couple dressed up in a special way and they want to get special images about them, but there is the creative session and if they only speaking with friends and family only, then they get a boring theme. I think they also want to remember to the guests and the interesting points of the wedding party too. The future children of the pair is interested in everything 20+ years later, and without knowing the family hard to decide whou should appear more frequently on the photos. So what do you think, what is the ideal ratio? What do you photograph if everyone is just talking?

08-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you doing this commercially or as a friend?

As a friend, you just take anything and everything - commercially you have to balance inclusion against cost - and the difficuly bit is knowing who is important to the couple
08-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Doesn't the ratio depend on the total size of the wedding party and the number of wedding-related events? A large wedding with many different wedding events (rehearsal dinner, ceremony, special rituals, complex reception/dinner/dance/band, honeymoon send-off, etc.) would have more guest and group pictures. Weddings with more groomsmen, bridesmaids, and extended families would have a different ratio than those with smaller wedding parties.

I would think that the starting point is to have a set portfolio of pictures of the couple at each of all the key points in the wedding process (preparation, ceremony, and festivities) and then a number of pictures of the friends, family, and group/party shots in proportion to the size of the party and number of wedding events.

Also, the ratio will be different if there is a second photographer in the crew. Having two photographers means one can focus on the couple and the other can focus on the guests and venue/ambiance.
08-19-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did some weddings for friends, but the question is about commercially.

08-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Based on surveying pictures from a wedding I went to recently I think it's important that every guest appears in at least one picture.
The portfolio I examined missed out a great many people which is a pity in every respect.
This incidentally involved two still camera persons and a video person who concentrated almost exclusively on the bride and groom - this may have been their brief of course.
08-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

For the sake of increasing this month's post count, I'll just say that I first read your title as determining how many people come with a significant other to weddings (# of couples divided by # of guests) I'll now defer back to others that can actually contribute
08-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

One sure fire way of getting a picture of every guest is to go round the reception and take a picture at every table. A powerful flash will be a lot of help. Use if off camera to get the exposure right, i.e. the light must be distributed evenly so that those in front are not overexposed and those in the back are not underexposed.

08-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
and the difficuly bit is knowing who is important to the couple
^^I think this is key.

I doubt there is a universal, exact ratio. I'd say 'lots' of the wedding couple, 'generous amounts'
of key family/friends/wedding party, 'some/at least one' of everyone else.
08-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The couple dominate all the shotlists I've ever seen for Getting Ready, The Ceremony, and The Posed Photos, so the reception is a great time to shift the emphasis to the guests.

08-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #10

Shot my first wedding recently as a semi-pro/friend/sucker. Lots of great advice from forum members on gear selection and such. Suggestions from my experience:

1. Ask the couple what they want. They wanted me to concentrate on the important parts and them. They knew their friends would take lots of candids before ceremony and during reception and used those to fill in what I did not take.

2. Just before the ceremony, a family member requested guests not take photos - they had a "professional" photographer who would be taking all the photos. There were no flashes at bad times, no arms in the air holding a camera - worked well.

3. Before ceremony and during reception I took shots that looked good - the random opportune moment of funny/cute/touching - and not to inventory the guests. Mostly of principals and wedding party and those they were with at the moment.

4. I am guessing you are using portrait to refer to the candid shots and not the staged formals after the ceremony. I prepped the formal "set" and lighting before the ceremony and a little ways away so the set was ready to go and not in the ceremony shots. Suggested (and they did) a light appetizer round and drinks for the guests while formal shots were going on. That kept the guests off the set with the promise they could come over with their phones/cameras after I was done. Secret: Once you are done with the happy couple, they don't hang around, but the guests are placated with the promise of access and you don't have people in your way and/or directing.

5. Have an assistant! My wife roped me into the gig, so I made her the assistant. She took bride prep shots while I was with the groom, had a 2nd angle for the ceremony and herded cats during the formals. Some hair and pose adjustments while I did framing. Moved light stands, etc. Invaluable!

6. Try to have fun! At least look like you are - makes everyone more comfortable and brings out smiles.

Good Luck!
08-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the size and event agenda dictate a lot of the ratio.

My daughter’s wedding at a private farm / weekend estate last summer had just under 100 guests - half from out of town - with two togs and no professional video. Her Proof CD had 3,200 captures from the out-of-town guests welcome reception at the hotel, Rehearsal Dinner at a Club, Dressing and (small) Wedding Party set shots, the Ceremony and the outdoor Reception, tented Dinner and (DJ) Dancing. The set shots captured all the traditional themes and combinations and were less than 10% of total. The guests were bused out to the farm from a meeting / parking location in the city and there were shots getting on and off the Coach. Her photographers did a great job getting all the guests in candids in small discussion groups during the cocktail reception and moving to the dinner tent. Her ‘event manager’ / good friend (great idea, BTW), who trailed the Second Shooter, used a checklist to ensure everyone was in at least one set of shots. The First Shooter concentrated more on capturing guests and Party, and Ceremony within the scenic landscape and residence. Half the candids had family or Wedding Party in them.

I think that worked because the event was small.

In contrast, we attended two weeks later a ‘New York Wedding’ at Oheka Castle on Long Island. Six still togs, 2 videographers, 2 drones, 20 tables of 12 plus the wedding party of 20 at a head table. During the 90 minute cocktail reception the togs actually asked our names and made a brief recording in the camera of the last names in each candid group. They did a ‘Pause and Pose’ with each person / couple as we left the receiving line. That was crazy efficient if the goal is get a shot of everyone, but the Receiving Line took nearly an hour. Two live bands (so no breaks), and they actually had a camera on a boom.

My best guess is 15,000 clicks at that event and <10% were formal set shots, but in my daughter’s the Couple was in a much higher percentage of the candids because the Bride and Groom can only be in one place at a time.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-19-2018 at 01:40 PM.
08-19-2018, 08:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In contrast, we attended two weeks later a ‘New York Wedding’ at Oheka Castle on Long Island. Six still togs, 2 videographers, 2 drones, 20 tables of 12 plus the wedding party of 20 at a head table.
Holy Mackerel! I've been to weddings with a bigger guest list, but the venues were an order of magnitude less expensive. 6 figure bill for this event?

---------- Post added 08-19-18 at 10:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
the Second Shooter, used a checklist to ensure everyone was in at least one set of shots
That seems like a good plan; accomplishes the goal of recording everyone invited without having the second shooter interrupting every conversation to make sure no one gets missed. Twenty years later, no one will care about Guest X's dance moves, but making sure everyone is in one properly exposed and mildly posed photo makes it easy to find a good picture of that wonderful friend who the bride or groom ended up losing contact with.
08-19-2018, 10:18 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Holy Mackerel! I've been to weddings with a bigger guest list, but the venues were an order of magnitude less expensive. 6 figure bill for this event?
We talked about what it must have cost for several days. We think all-in 7 figures, which is not unheard of for a New York wedding.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-19-2018 at 10:27 PM.
08-21-2018, 02:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the opinions, this thread was really useful for me!
08-22-2018, 03:35 AM   #15

My niece recently married and probably 80% of her photos that the photographer captured were of her, the groom and the wedding party.
As someone who was not able to attend, I felt like I was missing so much without decent guest shots.