Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2018, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Trying to blend in is probably part of the problem. Stop creeping around and own up to the fact that you’re taking photos, both to yourself and to your subjects/family. Maybe even say something to the effect of “I want to get some photos of everyone today, just being themselves, so don’t mind me”.

The rest is patience, observation, anticipation, and plain old dumb luck. Watch for conversations. Wait for the kids to get their attention enthralled in something else. Wait till they get bored wondering what you’re doing and get back to their own things and goings on. Learn to read the group and what they do, and be able to anticipate what’s going to next. Be prepared to shoot when the moment comes, and hope you touched the shutter off at the correct time. You’ll know you got it when you think you personally missed it... because the mirror will be up when it happened. Being able to visualize the scene as it unfolds since you can see outside of the lens’ view and no mirror blackout are a big part of why rangefinder cameras have remained popular with street photographers. And know how to read the room I.e. put the damn camera down when it’s time. Have a plan, a shot list even, and when it’s satisfied put the camera away and enjoy the family time.

As far as wedding candids, remember that it’s a place and event where people expect to be photographed. That helps a lot in getting people to put their guard down. So do open bars.

08-22-2018, 02:18 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I don't have a K-1 but I have some ideas that might help. I can only share what would work on my Samsung NX1.

Fire away in live view from the hip, or with the camera on your lap. Zoom out the 28-105. A 20/21 works even better at this. You can leave the autofocus to do its job or pre-focus and stop down to f/8 or f/11 light permitting.

Or you can set up the camera on a tripod in the corner and hook up from your mobile phone using the Pentax app. You just sit there fiddling with your phone, very stealthy. I don't know the details but from what I have seen in reviews it is possible.

The Samsung has a touch screen. It has a focus and shoot mode in live view. Tap on where you want the focus to be and it takes the picture. No finger on the shutter button, very stealthy. AFAIK this can't be done on a K-1.

On a different note, a smaller camera like a Pentax Q would intimidate your subjects less. I use a Samsung NX100 with a pancake 20-50mm zoom, myself. They are quite cheap now that Samsung has departed from the MILC scene.
08-22-2018, 07:51 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you very much to all who contributed suggestions. Be assured I will work away...with your advice...to make me more 'invisible' at family gatherings and also use the technical advice to improve my candid photography.

Les

If anyone thinks of additional techniques please post them.
08-23-2018, 02:35 AM   #19
Pentaxian

In related news, Leica has just released their most discreet camera ever. No red dot on the front, whisper quiet shutter.

Leica announces new M10?P with quiet shutter - Amateur Photographer

08-23-2018, 02:47 AM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
So if you have any stealth suggestions for shooting photos at social gatherings
May I suggest using a similar MO as I do for my "Street Photography".

Be there up front (I'm using K1s with grip and 20 or 28mm), get fairly close with a wide (ish) lens prefocused, work quickly and after a wee while folk just don't see you, especially if they're involved in another tasks, talking, walking, playing with kids or phones etc.
08-23-2018, 09:02 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
In related news, Leica has just released their most discreet camera ever. No red dot on the front, whisper quiet shutter.

Leica announces new M10?P with quiet shutter - Amateur Photographer
I would love to have a new Leica digital Rangefinder. I have a very old Leica Rangefinder (11f) and it is still a delight to use.

---------- Post added 08-23-18 at 11:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
May I suggest using a similar MO as I do for my "Street Photography".

Be there up front (I'm using K1s with grip and 20 or 28mm), get fairly close with a wide (ish) lens prefocused, work quickly and after a wee while folk just don't see you, especially if they're involved in another tasks, talking, walking, playing with kids or phones etc.
Good suggestion. I haven't thought of prefocusing a wide angle and this would keep the AF noise down to nothing ...good. My little grandson is quite an active little fellow and very alert...he notices my every move. In fact he watches me like a hawk...a suspicions hawk. I seem to hold a fascination for him. He also insists on looking at the camera monitor to see the picture, especially if it is of him or their big family dog.

He not only loves having his picture taken...but he also loves viewing it after. At a little over 6 months old, I fear he has already gone 'Hollywood' !

These habits of his...make it difficult for me to fade into the woodwork when photographing him.

Last edited by lesmore49; 08-23-2018 at 09:10 AM.
08-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
At family gatherings, I own it. I ask people for poses, set things up, take advantage of open aperture for bokeh, etc. I also take candid shots, but folks are so used to me that I'm mostly ignored. I usually try to avoid flash though.

08-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #23
Forum Member

My preference is to use my 18-135mm lens and a bounce flash. I normally use an extended L bracket with a remote flash cord to avoid red eye. I recently attended my great-grand-daughters 2nd birthday party in PA and was lost in the sea of folks using cell phones. Take a lot of shots and pick the best ones to process.
08-29-2018, 08:31 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Pity these are no longer available, perhaps you can find a used one:

Polaroid 58mm HD Right Angle Mirror (SPY) Lens PLSPYLENS58 B&H

More serious advice:

1) I focus on being a participant at family events, not a photographer.

2) I use one camera + one lens slung behind my back, typically a 50 or 100 on aps-c. Or a Nikon j1+10mm pancake (tiny, near silent, and good enough quality for many candid situations). Either way, something compact and not obtrusive when not in use.

3) I usually aim for close-up types of photos that the tablet/cellphone people don't usually do (typical snapshots are of a persons head dead centre in the frame and too far away).

4) I do not try to photograph everything, but pick and choose my moments to get photos I'll be happy with.

5) I have been outright ignoring commands of "take a picture of Johnny/Jessie/Insertrelativesnamehere" for long enough that no one bothers commanding me to do things anymore, and family members have learned to be happy with what they get from me. I really think this is critical to my enjoyment of family events. I'm not a professional being paid to perform on command, I'm a participant and no one has any right to expect more.
08-31-2018, 12:10 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I have one of those right angle adapters. It works as advertised but up close it looks weird and it is tricky to use.