Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2008, 02:27 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPZ Quote
today is the 19th of september 2008...

I have just seen BILL ODDIE walk up the main street on Penzance!

bill in my town.....

bag on his shoulder and binoculars round his neck
Not only did I have to 'Google' Bill Oddie, to find out whom he may be, but I had no idea where in the world Penzance may be either - thank you Google! I like the coat of arms for Penznace - it has a buccaneer with a drawn sword - very cool!

I rode in an elevator with Colin James in a London hotel and said good morning to David Suzuki in the lobby of the Delta Chelsea in Toronto. Not very impressive, I must admit.

COLIN JAMES

David Suzuki

Actually, years ago while on vacation in Florida, I was approached by a 'fan' begging my autograph. He was convinced I was a player for the Cleveland Indians and wouldn't leave until I autographed a piece of paper for him. So I scribbled an illegible name, shook his hand and sent him on his delusional way.

Last edited by J.Scott; 09-26-2008 at 02:46 AM.
09-26-2008, 02:51 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Donnie Van Zant gave me the nickname Straightshooter when I did some pics for .38 Special way back when their first album came out. I still have that album signed by the whole group.

Working on an airline ticket counter, you meet a lot of fairly well known people. I met Charlton Heston, Wayne Rogers, Joe Namath, Gene Roddenberry, England Dan & John Ford Coley, Molly Hatchet, Lynard Skynard (the original group), Bo Diddley, just to name a few. Charlton Heston probably had the most impressive personality of anyone I ever met. There was a "presence" to him that was almost overwhelming.

I have a piece of paper in my scrapbook that says "To Calvin, Live long and prosper. Gene Roddenberry" If you're not a Trekker, that won't seem like a big deal but if you are, you understand.

CW
I now envy you.
09-26-2008, 07:07 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Rod Stewart and Penny Lancaster had the pleasure to share a plane with my wife and me when we flew from Sydney to the Whitsundays for our Honeymoon.
We got Rod's autograph (though not his marriage advice).
09-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
I have a piece of paper in my scrapbook that says "To Calvin, Live long and prosper. Gene Roddenberry" If you're not a Trekker, that won't seem like a big deal but if you are, you understand.

CW
I understand, maybe too much. That would be soooo cool. I've met a bunch of movie people (some would call them "stars" but I understand they still use the bathroom the same way I do) because a fair number of movies are made here (did some extras work in Nova Scotia). Stallone, Kelsey Grammar, John Cusack, Donald Sutherland to name a few.

The worst "almost meeting" was Sandra Bullock. She was making a movie in my home town. The cast of the movie rented a house attached to my Dad's property. Dad had his sailboat up on the shore and was working on it each day. He told me this 'pretty girl' would come over occasionally and sit on the shore and talk to him as he worked. He doesn't watch movies or TV and had no idea who she was, just treated her normally. He had been sworn to secrecy by the production company as to who was living/renting the cottage. He never knew who she was and didn't say a word to me about it. It was shortly after "Speed" came out and I had a serious crush on her back then. After they all left He mentioned it and I showed him her picture. "That's the girl !!" I was speechless. She was there for 6 weeks. Had I known, his boat would have been better than new. I'd have polished the paint off that thing.

09-26-2008, 07:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

My college fraternity once hired Bo Diddley to play at a big party (probably '61 or '62). Still remember having a drink with him.
09-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The worst "almost meeting" was Sandra Bullock. She was making a movie in my home town. The cast of the movie rented a house attached to my Dad's property. Dad had his sailboat up on the shore and was working on it each day. He told me this 'pretty girl' would come over occasionally and sit on the shore and talk to him as he worked. He doesn't watch movies or TV and had no idea who she was, just treated her normally. He had been sworn to secrecy by the production company as to who was living/renting the cottage. He never knew who she was and didn't say a word to me about it. It was shortly after "Speed" came out and I had a serious crush on her back then. After they all left He mentioned it and I showed him her picture. "That's the girl !!" I was speechless. She was there for 6 weeks. Had I known, his boat would have been better than new. I'd have polished the paint off that thing.
SOAB..."had" a crush on her, she's still one of the hottest women on the planet. She's got that special down to earth beauty about her and she's got talent to do drama, comedy, etc. which makes her even hotter.

mmmmmm......Sandra Bullock......oh, sorry were we talking about photography somewhere on here.....what happened......

As for me, Tina Turner when I was a kid, she used to go to the Optometrist in my building (apparently this guy was like a world renowned doctor). I remember the first time I saw her get out of her limo in front of our building, these two beautiful long legs extended slowly from the back door........wow Nice as pie though, the local media knew she was in town so there were some photos of her in the paper that morning and a bunch of us in the building got autographs from her. Other than that, Peter Mansbridge and his wife Cynthia Dale used to go to my Church, skied with Borje Salming one day without even knowing it until my cousin asked me if I knew who that was...

Edit: Sorry forgot to mention my wife's cousin Mike... (I didn't take the photo)

Last edited by Leaf Fan; 09-26-2008 at 08:07 AM.
09-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or "Who havn't you met that you thought you did?"

My mother's 4th husband (looong story), Duane and his brother Norm and I were elk hunting in Colorado. We'd been out for a week and decided to drive into Glenwood Springs to clean up a little and have a nice dinner. We are in the restaurant and we notice all of these people looking at us and pointing. I'm getting a little offended because we DID shower before going to dinner but figure they are just surprised a handful of disheveled hunters are in the place eating.

Well after a while, this guy walks up to Norm and is positively gushing... "Mr' Nelson, I hate to bother you but could I get your autograph for my wife?"

Norm replied, "Well sure" and without a second's hesitation he signed "Willy Nelson" in a very fancy signature. By the time the evening was over he'd signed half a dozen autographs.

We were all busting a gut as we walked out of the place.... Norm finally explained that people were always mistaking him for Willie and he always signed "Willy" just to be sure he couldnt be accused of forgery.

I bet those people have those napkins to this day... LOL

oh, and I've met Chuck Yeager and Neil Armstrong... Neil is real nice but Chuck is a crotchety old SOB!

09-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
oh, and I've met Chuck Yeager and Neil Armstrong... Neil is real nice but Chuck is a crotchety old SOB!
That's because he has...............ASTROIDS!

sorry, I couldn't resist!
09-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #24
Igilligan

Ha ha

QuoteOriginally posted by nathancombs Quote
i got drunk with Mojo Nixon once
Who hasn't....

I once had Joan Jett, Elvin Bishop and Jim Carroll snortin' drugs off of the urinal next to me at the Old Waldorf in SF

Then again 'who hasn't