Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #1

Prints and the sensor aspect ratio

Hi all, I have a question.

I know that digital cameras sensors are at a different aspect ratio than their 35mm film equivalents, and if you print photos from a digital camera at the same aspect ratio sizes as film cameras, parts of the image will be cut off.

So, in that case, what sizes should I order my prints if I don't want parts of the image to be cut off? I know sites like mpix allow you to order prints at different sizes, but I'm not sure which size is the right size.

For example, if I want to print out a digital photo at an 8x10 size, which size should I need to not cut off any part of the image, 8.5x11, 8x12, or 10x10?

Thank you!

09-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

they will cut off regardless

unless you instruct them to print your 4:3 image on their 8X10 paper, giving you thicker boarders on one side.

therefore, its best to pre-crop yourself before giving it off to the shop.

or better yet, find a place that is willing to print 4:3.

personaly such elongated pictures look better tanyway.
09-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monstermagic91 Quote
For example, if I want to print out a digital photo at an 8x10 size, which size should I need to not cut off any part of the image, 8.5x11, 8x12, or 10x10?
To answer this specific question it is basically an 8x12.

8x12 is a really nice size. I just recently won a third place ribbon at a local aggie fair. The rule was 8x10 or larger. I submitted all 8x12's.

The next size down, instead of a 6x8 which I always very much favored, is in essence a 6x9 (the six is actually 5 plus some change but very close to six). One standard fine art frame size is 9x12 and a 6x9 fits this frame size very, very nicely with a mat. Beautiful in fact. You have a virtually perfect 1.5" field all the way around the photo.

Now since this is not a standard size, the way you get to it is to print it on a 8x10 and then trim the excess off.

I've come to really like this sensor crop size. But that's just me. I'm sure others will disagree. They always do.

woof
09-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Gooshin, where are you getting you 4:3 aspect ratio? We're not talking Olympus or Panasonic, here, but Pentax. I think the proper aspect ratio is 3:2.

09-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

doh!!

i think ive been playing too much video games