Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thoughts on black and white

Maybe I should say grayscale? Back in olden times I shot mostly B&W as the film was cheaper and it was versatile/more forgiving, and I liked it. Now beginning with all the wonderful technology and changes that go along with surviving past 70, I face questions that I did not have, or ignored, way back when. What subjects ask for B&W or at least deserve a quick look when editing? Are there particular details/processes that lead the editing? Is there a tutorial that covers basic questions?

Attached Images

08-26-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Old buildings, anything that color is a distraction rather than an enhancement.
08-26-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I like portraits in black and white. I am not sure if it's all in my head, but to me it seems that some of my lenses are better for B&W than others
08-26-2018, 08:25 AM - 2 Likes   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

a lot of trial & error on my part; I'll try it, see if I like the result, tweak the process if necessary...

it also helps to find a black & white processor that you like - I use Tonality and enjoy using it...

as far as subjects, I'm all over the map with subjects... from flowers to people to landscapes and back to near-macros...

all with Tonality:

08-26-2018, 08:52 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I consider photos for bw if the transitions or separations in the photo come from brightness rather than color. For example the picture below just had washed-out sand tones, not adding much imo). I'm trying to get into this mindset when shooting bw film, but it's not easy being used to color as the default

Lastly, low light situations such as concerts in tiny venues often force me to convert to bw so i have to shoot with that in mind, but that's more working within technical limitations than a deliberate choice
08-26-2018, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
a lot of trial & error on my part
There is no hard rule for me when to switch to black&white either.

I often switch to B&W when there are some dîstracting colors in the background though.

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Thoughts on black and white
Both examples of the barn work in my opinion, if color or not is mainly a question of what mood you wanna transport in your images.

Last edited by othar; 08-26-2018 at 09:17 AM.
08-26-2018, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #7

A tip: I shoot raw most of the time, but I set the digital filter to monochrome when I'm in the mood of shooting black and white. That way, you can quickly preview how your images are going to look.
You can later develop to b&w or colour using software/app, as they were saved in raw.

I also like to shoot b&w at ISO 400-1000, as some grain enhance the photo, to my taste.

08-26-2018, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
More things to try

QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote
A tip: I shoot raw most of the time, but I set the digital filter to monochrome when I'm in the mood of shooting black and white. That way, you can quickly preview how your images are going to look.
You can later develop to b&w or colour using software/app, as they were saved in raw.

I also like to shoot b&w at ISO 400-1000, as some grain enhance the photo, to my taste.
I read somewhere that the gray/mono/B&W in-camera option with the K-70 is not as good as what editing can do. So I have not tried it. I will give it a shot in the near future. I use Affinity photo which allows playing with grain/noise as I imagine other programs do. I will also add that to the experimentation list. Thanks for the ideas!
08-26-2018, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I'm not sure about the scenes or images that I'll process as B&W. For me, there's something about the feeling or a certain scene that gets me to process it as B&W. Mostly, this has to do with an absence of many or striking colours in the scene and the many tones within a colour. I can't suggest any particular thing or subject, I'm afraid. When processing my RAWs in LR, its easy to see whether the image indeed works as B&W.
08-26-2018, 12:54 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still use the Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 plugin in Photoshop and can vary the film-style graininess at will. High contrast subjects work well, like shooting in the midday sun. Subjects dependant on strong compositional shapes rather than colour also work very well. I used to process b&w 35mm film and print my own, so b&w still holds my affection.
08-26-2018, 04:53 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
I read somewhere that the gray/mono/B&W in-camera option with the K-70 is not as good as what editing can do. So I have not tried it. I will give it a shot in the near future. I use Affinity photo which allows playing with grain/noise as I imagine other programs do. I will also add that to the experimentation list. Thanks for the ideas!
Monochrome bold is pretty interesting on my k3.
08-26-2018, 11:06 PM   #12

Here's a couple of grayscale pictures shot in RAW on a K-70.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
08-26-2018, 11:23 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I still shoot a lot of black and white film, in my opinion, any photo can be done black and white. Others have mentioned two times in particular where black and white can make an otherwise mundane photo better, and that's when colors or bright / dark areas distract from the image.

I'm also of the mind that black and white portraits hold more "power" than color. They seem to bring out a mood or enhance emotion better.
08-29-2018, 02:33 PM   #14
Pentaxian

For me, if the colors are a distraction from what I want to show, I'll convert to B&W. Photos of textures are a good example where B&W works well.

When the colors are merely boring rather than distracting, I'll try going both ways, comparing a saturation boost to B&W.
08-30-2018, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the graduation of tones for sure