Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Why do want to get rid of the reason for the place? To me, a tourist mecca without tourists is pointless and sterile.
Also people help provide a sense of scale.

Be careful what you wish for, because you might get it.

08-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have only really tried long exposures at night in order to remove people. It worked quite well at this. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of people, who on seeing the camera on tripod, stopped to ask if they could walk through the scene.
08-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why do want to get rid of the reason for the place? To me, a tourist mecca without tourists is pointless and sterile.
Sterile looking images can be appealing too, it depends on the message or mood you wanna transport with the image if no or ghost-like looking people work for an image.
For tourist attractions I also think some people should be in the image, but at the same time I don't like to show pictures publicly with recognicable people in them that I don't know, therefore I prefer a longer exposure to obscure them
08-30-2018, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Remove Tourists From Photos In Photoshop | Image Stack Mode Tutorial

08-30-2018, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
That way I can let the camera do the blend at the end but also have all the images to have a stab at it in PP as well, and then compare. That would be more favourable than having to repeat and get more drunk as I wait for another 10mins...
If you're planning to get drunk, just do that first and scream at everyone and drive them away briefly. Problem solved!
08-30-2018, 08:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

For camera settings I would say use a shutter release remote and make sure to turn off shake reduction. If you're on a sturdy tripod shake reduction may move the sensor a little causing the images to be misaligned. Turning it off saves the time to align them.
08-31-2018, 05:42 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lol... ok.

I mean sure, I prefer images of an amazing structure with billions of peoples buttocks and backs in the way, leads to a really cool shot...

09-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
You would be better to take separate exposures, rather than average them in camera. You can then blend in PP using layers and masks to properly eliminate them rather than leave ghosts.
Yeah I think this is likely the best strategy.

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I think you can save every individual image with this option and not just the endresult, might be interesting to work around with in post if the composite image doesn't work

Edit: but you might check the manual about that because I am not totally sure what it does
Yeah I thought it was doing that, but um nop... lol I ended up with only one combined exposure shot in camera. I'll have to play with that mode and figure out how to get it to do that, not sure if it does, or stacks along the way, example;

pic 1
pic 2, which is a combo/blend of pic 1 with pic 2
pic 3 with is now a combo/blend of pic 1 with 2 and now with 3
so on so forth

or...

pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 12 (final frame) and is a combo/blend of this frame and all those that came before.

That's what I would really be looking for, all the individual frames so that I can work with them in post, plus 'an in camera' blend just to see how well it did and whether I could use it or have to do it myself in post.

What I got was just one pic, and it's a sum blend of all the frames together.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Even with a 10 minute exposure you can get stuck with blurry ghosts if someone sits in the same spot for a long time. It's an issue whether you use a true ND long expsoure, or a composite average. If you don't mind the ghosts it's okay to do in-camera using techniques already mentioned above. Sometimes ghosts look great. Sometimes they look horrible.

Do you have Photoshop or equivalent?

My preferred way it to save multiple exposures. There's a setting in composite mode to save each individual shot, or just use interval mode. Then use layers in Photoshop to pick ghost-free portions from individual exposures. If a ghost appears at the same spot in every photo, so none of the layers provide a ghost-free spot, content aware erase can fix it.
Yeah yer not wrong, I tried a certain side on angle first, but then I realised folk were partial to sitting on the steps (even on a cold Sydney winters day!) for way longer than that. Eventually I gave in and moved to what I thought was a more empty spot. I find it hugely entertaining how even with me setting up with obvious pro gear, remotes and what not, intense focus on what I am doing, you could get a family of 3 just think its cool to sit down for 10mins right in front of you lol. I mean if you know the Sydney Opera House steps they're not small, they're wide, plenty of other places to sit, and I think I was the only one tripodding up, but yeah some folk just don't seem to care that much at all, like I wasn't even there. Even before I got into photography I would make an effort to go around the back of someone using a tripod and not cross through the path, to actually plunk myself right down in front and get the mobile phones out and play and chat with them for 10 mins infront of the tog to me is kinda rude...

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Also people help provide a sense of scale.

Be careful what you wish for, because you might get it.
I THINK WE?RE ALONE NOW Official Trailer (2018) Peter Dinklage, Elle Fanning Sci-Fi Movie HD - YouTube
Ha!

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
If you're planning to get drunk, just do that first and scream at everyone and drive them away briefly. Problem solved!
Hehe, well I did get the hip flask out a few times to look more menacing and perhaps a little unstable in character... didn't work

Anyway, here's the result, the blend/exposure all done in camera, but edited in post with LR and DxO FilmPack5.

The result was used taking twelve 30 second exposures using composite average mode.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 09-01-2018 at 05:16 PM.
09-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #24
Pentaxian

It looks pretty good! I guess there's a couple artifacts from people that were there, like in the middle of the first two triangular structures?
09-01-2018, 08:56 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
It looks pretty good! I guess there's a couple artifacts from people that were there, like in the middle of the first two triangular structures?
Yeah I think so maybe, but I didn't go pixel peeping that much, just dealt with the obvious things. I mean, had I not told anyone of the technique someone might just think its a single frame taken at an opportune moment, well... at least that was the idea.
Funny thing is, such a moment doesn't exist, at least not at dusk. I have seen some quieter moments at dawn of the Opera House, but it's a 3hr round trip to snap it and I tend to visit there when it tags onto some other city thing I am attending.

When I showed my wife this (who was there with me at the time) she was like "oh wow!.." so she knew how busy the place was hehe.
09-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Getting Rid of Tourists
We just eat them here!!!
09-02-2018, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pic 1pic 2, which is a combo/blend of pic 1 with pic 2pic 3 with is now a combo/blend of pic 1 with 2 and now with 3so on so forth
I did that once by accident, so this deffinitely possible.
The result was used taking twelve 30 second exposures using composite average mode.
Well done
09-03-2018, 11:22 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
We just eat them here!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I did that once by accident, so this deffinitely possible.

Well done
Thanks