Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Getting Rid of Tourists

I'm heading into the city today and I might have a stab at shooting something like the Opera House stairs with the intention of using a technique either in post or in camera to remove other tourists.

What's the best in camera settings to have a stab at this? The idea is to tripod up, hit the shutter button (or use a remote) and then sit back and wait say 3-5mins for the shots to be complete. I don't think I want to manually be clicking something every few seconds to take the shot, so how do you tell the camera to do a pic once every 10secs or so?

I may also use a CPL and a ND filter to get some deliberate cloud blurs etc, it's just a strategy of getting rid of tourists.

Do we try and fix the exposure? or if the lighting changes much during that 5mins (such as the sun pops out from behind the cloud) will the mode account for that light and adjust exposure/shutter speed? Obviously also a fixed WB etc.

Anyone tried this in a K-1? What settings worked best?

TIA!

Bruce

08-30-2018, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
What's the best in camera settings to have a stab at this? The idea is to tripod up, hit the shutter button (or use a remote) and then sit back and wait say 3-5mins for the shots to be complete. I don't think I want to manually be clicking something every few seconds to take the shot, so how do you tell the camera to do a pic once every 10secs or so?
On my K-50 there's an 'Interval Shooting' under the first 'Camera' menu. You set the number of shots and interval you want them taken at.
If I'm correct it shows how to do it on page 61 of the K-1 manual, found this online: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1068378/Pentax-K-1.html?page=63#manual
08-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
On my K-50 there's an 'Interval Shooting' under the first 'Camera' menu. You set the number of shots and interval you want them taken at.
If I'm correct it shows how to do it on page 61 of the K-1 manual, found this online: Interval Shooting - Pentax K-1 Operating Manual [Page 63]
But interval doesn't blend the images or does it? I thought it was Composite with Average or something required. I'll look at that link now, ta
08-30-2018, 04:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Composite and average should do the trick, but I'm not sure you'll need ND filters, composite exposures tend to be short anyway

08-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

But interval doesn't blend the images or does it? I thought it was Composite with Average or something required. I'll look at that link now, ta
Oh you mean blend... I thought you just meant interval

Cheers
08-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can use the Intervall mode in combination with Av mode and you exposure will be set accordingly for changeing lightning conditions.
You can also use the multible exposure or composite mode to directly create the stacked image in the camera.

I would prefer a 10-stop ND filter and shoot the image with a single exposure. 30 sec are usually enough to make ghostlike shadows of passing people and a few static persons (when they move their head a little they are usually not recognicable) might even look good in the image
08-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ha! I've already asked this question... lol

Making Tourists Disappear - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 08-31-18 at 09:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
You can use the Intervall mode in combination with Av mode and you exposure will be set accordingly for changeing lightning conditions.
You can also use the multible exposure or composite mode to directly create the stacked image in the camera.

I would prefer a 10-stop ND filter and shoot the image with a single exposure. 30 sec are usually enough to make ghostlike shadows of passing people and a few static persons (when they move their head a little they are usually not recognicable) might even look good in the image
Like this you mean?

Yeah I was gonna try for one of those type shots too, but also one where I can essentially get rid of everybody should I stay long enough (will have hipflask

08-30-2018, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

You would be better to take separate exposures, rather than average them in camera. You can then blend in PP using layers and masks to properly eliminate them rather than leave ghosts.
08-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, so what I want is Interval Composite, not Composite only because that's too 'manual'. With Interval Composite I just press the shutter button, sit back for 10mins as it takes 1 pic every 20secs or so and I don't have to do anything

Anyone know what the 'Save Process' box is under that setting?
08-30-2018, 04:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ha! I've already asked this question... lol

Making Tourists Disappear - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 08-31-18 at 09:23 AM ----------

Like this you mean?

Yeah I was gonna try for one of those type shots too, but also one where I can essentially get rid of everybody should I stay long enough (will have hipflask
Exactly. It depends on the location how long it will take to get rid of all the people. An opera house shouldn't be that long because there is usually more space around the building and the visitors can spread more. At a viewing point like in your example everyone that leaves will be replaced shortly after so you will have to wait longer to get rid of them in your image
08-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
You would be better to take separate exposures, rather than average them in camera. You can then blend in PP using layers and masks to properly eliminate them rather than leave ghosts.
I plan to do both, I was hoping that a setting in the camera might do both, it might be that 'Save Process' box.

That way I can let the camera do the blend at the end but also have all the images to have a stab at it in PP as well, and then compare. That would be more favourable than having to repeat and get more drunk as I wait for another 10mins...
08-30-2018, 04:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, so what I want is Interval Composite, not Composite only because that's too 'manual'. With Interval Composite I just press the shutter button, sit back for 10mins as it takes 1 pic every 20secs or so and I don't have to do anything

Anyone know what the 'Save Process' box is under that setting?
I think you can save every individual image with this option and not just the endresult, might be interesting to work around with in post if the composite image doesn't work

Edit: but you might check the manual about that because I am not totally sure what it does
08-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I think you can save every individual image with this option and not just the endresult, might be interesting to work around with in post if the composite image doesn't work

Edit: but you might check the manual about that because I am not totally sure what it does
I'd spend more time wasting trying to find that info in a manual, than just running off a quick 10sec test with one shot every 2 secs etc and see what happens hehe. (I'm just too lazy to try it here now... yup... that sums me up )
08-30-2018, 05:04 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm heading into the city today and I might have a stab at shooting something like the Opera House stairs with the intention of using a technique either in post or in camera to remove other tourists.

I may also use a CPL and a ND filter to get some deliberate cloud blurs etc, it's just a strategy of getting rid of tourists.

Do we try and fix the exposure? or if the lighting changes much during that 5mins (such as the sun pops out from behind the cloud) will the mode account for that light and adjust exposure/shutter speed? Obviously also a fixed WB etc.

Anyone tried this in a K-1? What settings worked best?

TIA!

Bruce
Why do want to get rid of the reason for the place? To me, a tourist mecca without tourists is pointless and sterile.
08-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Even with a 10 minute exposure you can get stuck with blurry ghosts if someone sits in the same spot for a long time. It's an issue whether you use a true ND long expsoure, or a composite average. If you don't mind the ghosts it's okay to do in-camera using techniques already mentioned above. Sometimes ghosts look great. Sometimes they look horrible.

Do you have Photoshop or equivalent?

My preferred way it to save multiple exposures. There's a setting in composite mode to save each individual shot, or just use interval mode. Then use layers in Photoshop to pick ghost-free portions from individual exposures. If a ghost appears at the same spot in every photo, so none of the layers provide a ghost-free spot, content aware erase can fix it.