09-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is Full Frame Enough?

See the latest from Leica before you answer:

Leica S2 with 56% larger sensor than full frame: Digital Photography Review

09-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

They had to come up with something, now with an expected retail price of $20 000 body only, I just dunno if any Pentaxian could afford this!
09-22-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No shake reduction
09-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For my own use, I think I am more excited about the new Fuji-Film CCD design. I think we will be able to keep cropped sensors (I like what they do for reach with full frame lenses) and experience low noise, good low light performance, and great definition. Maybe Pentax will look into this.

09-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

come on people, scan the forums, this is already being discussed else where.
09-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
come on people, scan the forums, this is already being discussed else where.
obviously people are boored.

back in the old days, pentax made the famous 6x7 and also the 645, I shot 35mm then, and had no intention of moving up in format. Since both my *istD and K10D exceed the resolution of the film I used in my PZ-1 I feel no need to move up to what I would consider a medium format camera since I am already further ahead.

The argument will always be the same, the highest resolutions will always be with bigger media (sensor or film) and smaller reproduction ratio from the media to print, but 99.99% of all camera users just don't need it.

the other 0.01% I think are split between those who really need it, and those who's ego really needs it.
09-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

how about a big one

index
Seitz Phototechnik AG - Seitz 6x17
Gigapxl Project
The Cameratruck Project
The Legacy Photo Project

09-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Substitute Quote
They had to come up with something, now with an expected retail price of $20 000 body only, I just dunno if any Pentaxian could afford this!
Please do not generalise. Not everyone is like you.
10-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

For such an expensive machine, it looks as though almost all of the functions are accessed through menus. Hopefully the next version will have external controls and SR.

Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 10-05-2008 at 10:23 PM.
10-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
Inactive Account

They had to come up with something, now with an expected retail price of $20 000 body only,
That's actually affordable if you consider the pricing for the Hasselblad and new Leaf Aptus II models. The cost of the body will be the smallest part of the financial burden, where it will hurt more is getting the (somewhat small) assortment of primes for this sensor. For myself I ust need to figure out if this will be nicer to handle than the Leaf (by handling I mean working with it on a tripod), and how well it works tethered. I'm on the waiting list for the Leaf, but it'll be a while, I hope this cam is out by then to look at before I have to finally decide and pay out. The leaf shutter in the lens will be nice.

Scitex/Leaf made a digital back for large format cameras, just 10 years ago and it listed for $43,000 and that was without lenses or even a body. And that was only 3 or 4 MP (they interpolated the resolution via software trickery, so it sounded more impressive than this)

I just dunno if any Pentaxian could afford this!
A big reason for the delay or non-production of the 645D.

I read a Pentax interview about 7 or 8 months ago (wish I could remember which one) and he was talking about the postponement of the 645D. He said they were shocked and dismayed that a majority Pentax users & potential 645D customers were thinking that it would sell for less than $5,000, and he was thinking it would be miraculous if they could get a slimmed down model out for $10,000. That's when they were thinking maybe this model wouldn't have a chance.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
No shake reduction
That won't make a bit of difference for this market, unlike Full-Frame, this won't be competing against the other DSLRs.
10-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Leica - too small

Screw that paltry sub-40mpx sensor. Now, the 160mpx Seitz 6x17 -- THAT is a deal for only 25k Euros, including Schneider lens. Leica - too little, too late.