Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Storing Images

Hi my fellow Pentaxians.

I am a bit concerned on where to store my pictures for safe keeping. I mean I have a 80 GB hard disk and it exhausts after sometime. So, is it better that I get a high capacity portable hard disk or can I store them on DVDs?

Looking forward to you replies!

09-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Use both - a high capacity HDD and high quality DVD+R discs. Therefore if one fails, you've got a backup elsewhere.
Personally I use Verbatim DVD+R, one disc for 1 or 2 months of shots.
09-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have mine on both as well.

SyncBack copies new images to a backup pc (could be a portable HD).

When I get a DVD size folder accumulated, I make 2 DVD copies (different DVD manufacturers & types).

Then one of the DVDs is kept in my detached garage.
09-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ditto, plus I use another partition on my Windows hard drive, just for daily backups. I also dual boot into Linux and store copies there.(I'm paranoid about backups). With regard to DVDs I suggest you ring up your local museum/art gallery/library and find out what brand they use, which is likely to be best archival quality. I've lost too many commercial brand DVDs to corruption of the layers. Even Verbatim.

09-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to consider ultimately 3 back up schemes.

I use a USB protable Hard disk as a back up, and do so regularly.

I also regularly, (about every 3 months) add more DVDs to a complete back up set.

I am now looking at off site, and considering you can now get 250-500 GB in a deck of cards sized package,, I am considering a safety deposit box, for this.