Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PF Marketplace frustration

For the 3rd time in as many weeks I've been told "sorry the item has been sold" on 2 of those 3 items I am totally positive I was the first PM sent (only 1 view at that point) and also the first to post "PM sent" on the thread.

The last one I can't be totally sure but all the posts to the K20D thread, that was marked sold today prior to mine, were general chit-chat about the warranty and I PM'd right under the seller's, stating a price adjustment. They now say the camera was sold to someone in front of me. How the heck can this be? If a thread has had 1 view and I PM at that moment, I'm logically first. With the camera, NO ONE had posted buying interest before me. There were a couple of hours since his post but no "PM Sent" from anyone.

There should be a rule that anyone that wants to buy should have to post "PM Sent" to the thread to establish an order. Send your PM first and jump back to the thread to post your expression of interest. Keep it all in the open so the rest of us who are also interested see the 'pecking order'. That will end the suspicion that this seller pulled some type of fast one.

If I'm slow or late, I'll take my lumps and move on. But I don't believe it with these deals. The real pisser is, I passed on a similar deal at the same time assuming I was first in line.

Finally if the seller is less than honest and you send him money for whatever, then he disappears with your money. Who is going to believe you when you say I bought XXX from so-and-so if you never put "PM Sent" on the thread?

Rant done

Last edited by Peter Zack; 09-24-2008 at 08:47 AM.
09-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe they're just posting for attention and don't actually have anything to sell.
09-24-2008, 09:03 AM   #3

If they would actually close the thread after they sold the item, that would make me happy.. It's frustrating to browse through all the threads and each time you find something you find out it's sold already...

But I do agree that people should enter a message in the thread before sending a PM.. One one of the last items I sold, I didnt have any responses in the thread, but several PM's..
09-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Peter, I agree with you on all counts.

One note, however, I read most posts (and all marketplace posts) in an RSS reader which will not count as a 'view'.

If I'm interested I'm guilty of occasionally just PMing the seller without posting on the sales thread - I'll adjust my behavior:-) Usually, though, I PM and post...

09-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

because it's an open classified, how can we impose any rules on the order of responses?
what if i post in two different places and someone from somewhere else responds first?

it'd be nice if everything sold was marked as such however

what i am noticing is that things are moving relatively slowly in the marketplace compared to when i first joined. i wonder why that is.
09-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Oh I know nothing will change and people will do what ever suits their way of trying to grab that deal. Fair enough. It would be nice if most would just follow some accepted protocol.

As for sales, I would have to assume it has a lot to things happening in the States that is affecting much of the rest of the world. People with disposable incomes are very nervous right now. Maybe Pentax made a brilliant move with the K-M and let the new $3000 + cameras from the others sit on the shelf. Might just be the right camera to get them through the economic storm.
09-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

PMs are time-stamped, just like posts.

IMO the only reason to post "PM sent" in a thread is for courtesy to others, but people aren't nice to each other When I sell something, I'll post "Pending sale..." only when someone says they will buy it as soon as they get home/when they get paid/when PayPal lets them log in etc.

If the item has been sold, while the thread is still open (just like on Craigslist)...I'd rather not do business with that person if they can't control their own thread.

09-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
For the 3rd time in as many weeks I've been told "sorry the item has been sold" on 2 of those 3 items I am totally positive I was the first PM sent (only 1 view at that point) and also the first to post "PM sent" on the thread.

The last one I can't be totally sure but all the posts to the K20D thread, that was marked sold today prior to mine, were general chit-chat about the warranty and I PM'd right under the seller's, stating a price adjustment. They now say the camera was sold to someone in front of me. How the heck can this be? If a thread has had 1 view and I PM at that moment, I'm logically first. With the camera, NO ONE had posted buying interest before me. There were a couple of hours since his post but no "PM Sent" from anyone.

There should be a rule that anyone that wants to buy should have to post "PM Sent" to the thread to establish an order. Send your PM first and jump back to the thread to post your expression of interest. Keep it all in the open so the rest of us who are also interested see the 'pecking order'. That will end the suspicion that this seller pulled some type of fast one.

If I'm slow or late, I'll take my lumps and move on. But I don't believe it with these deals. The real pisser is, I passed on a similar deal at the same time assuming I was first in line.

Finally if the seller is less than honest and you send him money for whatever, then he disappears with your money. Who is going to believe you when you say I bought XXX from so-and-so if you never put "PM Sent" on the thread?

Rant done
I am sorry but can not agree with you on this. A "first inline" as you stated does not exist in fact. As a seller I can pick which email I will sell to without advising you. This a private sale between two individuals, not an auction or biding or any other ventures.

I have posted an item for sale once, first pm was going to buy but after 3 days backed out. I contacted the next "inline" and so on, they all backed out. How can I be protected under your scheme? not possible. As can be deducted, both of us have the same problem which in my opinion can not be resolved. As you said, take your chances and if you fail, move on.

Sorry, harch but reality.
09-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Maybe I do things differently then. I'll PM the seller. If they say I can have it, I send them my Paypal address and pay them as soon as they send the money request through. Usually it happens in an hour or less. I don't write if the deal is something I want unless the sale is unclear in some aspect.

Sure as a seller you have every right to pick and choose the buyer. Maybe no feedback or track record to show. That doesn't happen too often.

What i really suspect is happening, is people are running Ebay auctions or BIN's at the same time as a PF. The item sells on Ebay and they tell everyone here the deal is sold. That contravenes PF Marketplace rules.

I agree with Mike that sold threads should be closed or at least marked sold as soon as the payment is made.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 09-24-2008 at 11:39 AM.
09-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hey Peter, I understand your frustrations but there is really no way to regulate this. There are many cases I can think of that the first in line might not actually be the best choice for the seller and i'm sure you can too. These kind of things are just part of the process in a forum marketplace.

Whoever got that k20d got a hell of a deal. I had made a silent PM offer to the seller too.
09-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #11
Igilligan

I am guilty....

I just did the same thing in the DA 50-135 thread... I posted a Pm last night expressing an interest and waiting for pics...

But forgot to put PM sent in the thread... more possible confusion and anger awaits I am sure... I was guilty of it one other time a year ago and swore I would never do it again... I can only plead that it was late and it was unintentional... Shoot they may sell it to someone else anyway
09-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not just posted here?

Did it occur to anyone that items posted on the marketplace here may also be for sale on craigslist or elsewhere? Just because you are the first PM here does not mean the item is still available.

Steve
09-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Sure Steve but in less than 5 minutes of a thread being posted? I'm not referring to that camera but a few other items I've jumped in very fast. Just seems odd that's all.
09-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Sure Steve but in less than 5 minutes of a thread being posted? I'm not referring to that camera but a few other items I've jumped in very fast. Just seems odd that's all.
it is not the last K20D in your life.... nevermind it is used and cost too much
09-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I'll stop whining....