Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2018, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-3 is rated to -10C, but this also requires a weather sealed lens to work as specified.
This has to be incredibly modest. -10c is barely even on the cusp of cold. I'm betting that's more of a rating for the battery as its life will die very quickly below that. I know my phone would chew through battery life when I worked in freezers a lot.

I think the biggest hazard of operating electronics in extreme cold would be potential of some components reaching dew point. This is easily avoided by not using them for prolonged periods of time.

11-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
With winter approaching where I am and my want to go out and do a bunch of astro shooting up in northern Minnesota when the air is dry, sky is clear, and temps are cold by any measure (when F or C temp measurements become about the same) I was wondering if there are any concerns with gear while shooting when it is that cold?

I am aware of bringing things down to temp in a reasonable way, the shortened battery life, condensation when returning to a warm environment. I have solutions for all of these. But is there anything else I need to be aware of. The plan for power is a used car battery connected to an inverter with AC adapters for the cameras connected. Letting the cameras and lenses cool naturally in trunk on the multi hour drive up and then in the bags while things get set up for the cooling down. Bringing ziplock bags to put things in when done and letting them warm up slowly for the reheat.

So with those covered I am wondering if I need to be worried about the cold affecting other things?

I am planning on using a k2000 with a S-M-C 17mm fisheye takumar and a K-3 with a Sigma 300mm f/4 APO macro.
I left my K7 in the back of my truck for a week when daytime highs were hitting -25C with no ill effects. I never worry about cold. If it gets too cold, the camera will stop working until it warms back up, which is more than I can say for myself if I get cold enough to stop working. Just remember to put your frozen equipment into a moisture proof bag when you go in and leave it there until it warms up.
11-03-2018, 08:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used a K-3 in minus 30ºC. As I recall, battery life is seriously diminished and you may need to change batteries after as little as 120 images. Apart from that, everything works fine.
11-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I am planning on using a k2000 with a S-M-C 17mm fisheye takumar and a K-3 with a Sigma 300mm f/4 APO macro.
If those lens have infinity focus right at the end of the range of motion of the focus ring you may loose infinity focus in very cold temps. It happened to me with an A50/1.4 at -28°C just 20 min after putting the camera on top of the tripod. I even had two hand warmers strapped to to lens to prevent dew. Switched to DA*50-135 and was ok.

11-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SunValley Quote
If those lens have infinity focus right at the end of the range of motion of the focus ring you may loose infinity focus in very cold temps. It happened to me with an A50/1.4 at -28°C just 20 min after putting the camera on top of the tripod. I even had two hand warmers strapped to to lens to prevent dew. Switched to DA*50-135 and was ok.
With the S-M-C 17mm fisheye takumar the huge DoF should cover it although it is just past infinity all the way in. The 300mm sigma goes well past infinity. Thanks for the advice it is something to consider.